Summer Bream Fishing

On 12/10/2022 at 19:48, Daniel cain said:

dustbin lids some of them?

Its a council managed water park, consisting of about a dozen old gravel pits. Apart from the odd small perch and some large carp, the only fish are Bream and Tench, all are between 6 and 10lb with the odd one going slightly bigger, This is due to Cormorant and Otter predation. when these remaining big fish are gone, There will be nothing to replace them, 

On 12/10/2022 at 19:48, Daniel cain said:

dustbin lids some of them?

On 17/10/2022 at 19:05, paulus said:

Its a council managed water park, consisting of about a dozen old gravel pits. Apart from the odd small perch and some large carp, the only fish are Bream and Tench, all are between 6 and 10lb with the odd one going slightly bigger, This is due to Cormorant and Otter predation. when these remaining big fish are gone, There will be nothing to replace them, 

Been thinking about doing some of that.

My biggest bream was 12lb when I was still in the uk but I have not fished much since being here, the odd river session and that’s all.

I sort of lost my enthusiasm as they don’t have carp here, however they do have the lakes…..one near me is 36,000 acres !!……..that’s a bit of me and I have been toying with the idea of trying for some bigger bream and Tench.

Not so sure about the 3.5lb Century’s being the right tool for the job mind you ?…….I suppose if I scaled down the line BS it wouldn’t be so bad because the rods are still nice rods despite how powerful they are ?

What do you reckon boys ?

8 minutes ago, WILF said:

My biggest bream was 12lb when I was still in the uk but I have not fished much since being here, the odd river session and that’s all.

I sort of lost my enthusiasm as they don’t have carp here, however they do have the lakes…..one near me is 36,000 acres !!……..that’s a bit of me and I have been toying with the idea of trying for some bigger bream and Tench.

Not so sure about the 3.5lb Century’s being the right tool for the job mind you ?…….I suppose if I scaled down the line BS it wouldn’t be so bad because the rods are still nice rods despite how powerful they are ?

Have a crack mate or use the centuries for a bit of bassing 

Just now, South hams hunter said:

Have a crack mate or use the centuries for a bit of bassing 

Need to find out about that because I believe bass are protected here mate !! 

40 minutes ago, WILF said:

A lot of big bream and tench get caught by carp anglers, Mate of mine had a 14lb plus one last year on similar gear to yours, Try a CC Moore Pacific tuna boilie. bream seam to love them. 

caught bream to 14 lb while carp fishing over the yrs...use  the century's,rather than spend out on new rods..just adjust your line/hooklinks to suit,bait boat or spod out a big bed of bait,and fish some method feeders over the top of it....wear old clothes because you be slimy as f**k ??

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Hated bream all me life until last year on Trent I hit a shoal of proper big uns, gutted didn’t have scaled with me but every fishermen for pegs down the river come to see them when word spread an had 2 lads sat behind me waiting for me to finish, hoping to get into same shoal, was great fun, ak once they get a decent size they can put up a scrap on light tackle in the river 

Mate of mine went down the Trent last Saturday night in the Hope of a few Barbel, Half way through the night he packed up, was getting a bream a chuck ?

Just now, W. Katchum said:

Happened to me a few times now, at start of move swim but was told to fish through them, tried it one night an had me biggest ever barbel at just shy 16, an they were decent break so worth it haha done it few times now an always land on barbel after a few hours a bream. I quite like m now, j think them feeding for a while gives the bigger barbel confidence to come into a swim, or start competing for food if they already there 

There a bit like carp. A good cloud in the water does encourage feeding, One of the big old gravel pits i go to only has big shoals of big bream and the odd big tench in it, at 47 acres there's a lot of water for the fish to disappear into, The usual big bed of bait and then sit and wait, when they do rock up a large weight can be amassed quite quickly and strangely enough this is when you are most likely to get into a tench or two. 

I hated bream for over 30 years. Then one day I had 15 in an Irish lough and realised that not all bream are equal. The Irish ones fought like tench. Nothing like the lifeless slabs I'd had in Yorkshire and Linc's. If I lived in Ireland I'd fish for tench in summer, bream in autumn and pike the rest of the year. Maybe a bit of trouting too. 

At 36,000 acre lake sounds fearsome, but just split it up into little sections dependent on the weather and season. Look for bays, coves, shallows, deeps and other features then try each one at the right time. Invest in a cheap Chinese fish finder and chuck the sonar out in likely areas to check the depth and features.  Also wherever water fowl are fish won't be far away.

As said; anything fishy will attract bream. If you need a cheap alternative look at layer's pellets. Cheap as chips and highly attractive to bream. Or mix layer's mash in with bread groundbait. 

The rods might be over gunned, but use them initially and see how you go on. If you like it then you can buy something lighter in due course. 

2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

caught bream to 14 lb while carp fishing over the yrs...use  the century's,rather than spend out on new rods..just adjust your line/hooklinks to suit,bait boat or spod out a big bed of bait,and fish some method feeders over the top of it....wear old clothes because you be slimy as f**k ??

Bait boat !!……how very dare you ! Lol

1 hour ago, paulus said:

There a bit like carp. A good cloud in the water does encourage feeding, One of the big old gravel pits i go to only has big shoals of big bream and the odd big tench in it, at 47 acres there's a lot of water for the fish to disappear into, The usual big bed of bait and then sit and wait, when they do rock up a large weight can be amassed quite quickly and strangely enough this is when you are most likely to get into a tench or two. 

59 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

I hated bream for over 30 years. Then one day I had 15 in an Irish lough and realised that not all bream are equal. The Irish ones fought like tench. Nothing like the lifeless slabs I'd had in Yorkshire and Linc's. If I lived in Ireland I'd fish for tench in summer, bream in autumn and pike the rest of the year. Maybe a bit of trouting too. 

At 36,000 acre lake sounds fearsome, but just split it up into little sections dependent on the weather and season. Look for bays, coves, shallows, deeps and other features then try each one at the right time. Invest in a cheap Chinese fish finder and chuck the sonar out in likely areas to check the depth and features.  Also wherever water fowl are fish won't be far away.

As said; anything fishy will attract bream. If you need a cheap alternative look at layer's pellets. Cheap as chips and highly attractive to bream. Or mix layer's mash in with bread groundbait. 

The rods might be over gunned, but use them initially and see how you go on. If you like it then you can buy something lighter in due course. 

I have fed off a few shoals of bream over the years lads, they go through bait like you don’t believe……Sandhurst lake at Yateley has a good head.

Dropped on there for a couple of nights when I couldn’t get on The Match or Copse and they went through 40lb of bait like it was nothing ! 

Paulus, I’ll give you a tip mate, for situations when you want to use a lot of bait or use boiled bait properly for greedy fish like carp, tench and bream you can buy the over runs from the bait companies.

All shapes and sizes and “flavours”, they work a treat with an amino type dip like the old Ambio that Kryston used to sell.

Just give them a coating and away you go and it’s cheap, can’t remember the price but I know they were a bit cheaper than even my field testers rates I used to get so sub £6 a kilo. 

• Like 1