Just having some new cages built for next season. There will be 18 single breeding cages 3 in one unit 6 units altogether plus set of draws will be built for them to sit on. Units are made from pvc foam think its 10mm. With them being stacked think they'll need a strengthener on the bottom of each unit to strengthen them up a little or may be fine once a few little screws in the bottoms to tighten them all up..

IMG-20221007-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20221005-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20221003-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Bangersanmash
  • Like 6

On 08/10/2022 at 13:25, jimmy boy said:

You won't beat plastic they only need a wipe over mate 

Units are nearly done now hasn't taken my pal long to knock these up. I've worked with pvc foam before it's so easy to work with. It's not cheap though all in its cost just over 500 quid for materials. But we come to a deal where it wouldn't cost both of us a penny. He owns his own business working with this pvc foam kitting hotels out the kitchens & shower rooms  So he just put materials on the job so won't cost him owt. Just told him I'd give him a pair of birds. If I was to buy these I'd be spending over a grand easy jimmy. There not standard size cages I've had the cages built to my measurements. 4800mm long 1820mm high. Caged the fronts. I've had them made without pull out trays. Reason for that is the crap what gets caught behind seed wood chip a place for nasties to hide ie mites. Plus when you pull draws out shite goes all over the floor. With this you just use a dust pan and brush. I put mesh on bottom so bird crap and seed goes through the mesh so no need to clean out for good few weeks. 

IMG-20221011-WA0000.jpg

• Like 1

Nice looking cages they are mate are they that Palfoam stuff the printers use ?.....my nephew recently made some cages...a chap i know has a print firm and was giving him the sheets for 50 quid a go i think he made about 30 odd cages for around 500 quid.....he got quoted 1500 to buy new.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Nice looking cages they are mate are they that Palfoam stuff the printers use ?.....my nephew recently made some cages...a chap i know has a print firm and was giving him the sheets for 50 quid a go i think he made about 30 odd cages for around 500 quid.....he got quoted 1500 to buy new.

That's really good to hear he's still having fun with the birds and by the sound doing ok with it to ..:good:

• Like 1
On 16/10/2022 at 01:51, gnasher16 said:

It's a friend in the bird game who's made me them.  His son works with the materials used to make the cages cladding hospitals an nursing homes out with the stuff. An was on about it one day me buying some. Then i  thought about it asked if he purchased the materials off his son would he be interested in making them for me. Come to arrangement a little deal cages for a pair of birds. All in materials about 500 quid but like you say to buy I was looking over 3000 grand with draws. Altogether when cages are stacked it's 17ft long 6ft in hight. There not box standard size cages there big deep ones alot bigger than you buy online. I've had the measurements done. 

• Like 1

Them bits you can see the blue strip's at the bottom of the cages ,  are for the bottom partition groves. Its for when your not using them as breeders an more so flight cages stops all shite getting into the groves good idea to be fair they just clip in. 

20221016_121537.jpg

20221016_144947.jpg

IMG-20221015-WA0016.jpeg

IMG-20221015-WA0017.jpeg

• Like 1
On 16/10/2022 at 08:43, fireman said:

That's really good to hear he's still having fun with the birds and by the sound doing ok with it to ..:good:

Thats right you helped him with some Goldies didnt you he never managed to breed any of them even paid out for 3 or 4 pairs of them Siberian ones but couldnt get nothing from them infact they was all dead within a couple of years so he knocked all that on the head and sticks with Canaries now he loves it all he's a proper little expert on them now ?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Thats right you helped him with some Goldies didnt you he never managed to breed any of them even paid out for 3 or 4 pairs of them Siberian ones but couldnt get nothing from them infact they was all dead within a couple of years so he knocked all that on the head and sticks with Canaries now he loves it all he's a proper little expert on them now ?

Greeenfinches it was and a shame he didn't get on with the natives but i bet he'd do ok now he has the "suss" on breeding birds, still sounds like he's found his fancy and good luck to the "little" chap..:laugh:..:thumbs:

• Like 2
8 hours ago, fireman said:

Greeenfinches it was and a shame he didn't get on with the natives but i bet he'd do ok now he has the "suss" on breeding birds, still sounds like he's found his fancy and good luck to the "little" chap..:laugh:..:thumbs:

I had the same experience with British. Gave up in defeatist mode. Gonna try again though. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I had the same experience with British. Gave up in defeatist mode. Gonna try again though. 

Same here,keep saying i,ll give it another go one day they are such a big commitment though its not like a dog you can just palm off on someone and say " feed it ".....if you like to get away then you've pretty much got to write off Spring and early Summer.

And no you're right Fireman " little " probably wasnt my best choice of adjective ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 21/10/2022 at 06:00, fireman said:

That's what it's all about few years on your back with knowledge plus experience ? These sib goldfinches are hard to keep on the sticks never mind breed lol. You only have to sneeze near them an there toes up ? ? 

On 21/10/2022 at 14:55, gnasher16 said:

Same here,keep saying i,ll give it another go one day they are such a big commitment though its not like a dog you can just palm off on someone and say " feed it ".....if you like to get away then you've pretty much got to write off Spring and early Summer.

And no you're right Fireman " little " probably wasnt my best choice of adjective ?

I've got weekend feeders so can leave the birds plus the water a use virkon s have done for years my grandfather used it for his pigeons years back and never had many birds go light kills any internal parasites you only use abit tip of a tsp in 6 pints of water one of the 6 pint milk cartons.