Jump to content

LINE FERRET


Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, Shefflad69 said:

I used to use a lined ferret u tie a knot at one foot apart down line count knots as it passes through Ur hand then pace it out to knot count then dig down to ferret never used locators as couldn't afford one 

But holes don't go straight they bend and curve all about the ground you.would have to Dig the field up to find one 

  • Like 4
Link to post

I could see the appeal of using a cantankerous liner to chase your loose jills out but he would be getting dragged out afterwards feck following a string digging trenches and holes all over the warren. 

Link to post
9 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

But holes don't go straight they bend and curve all about the ground you.would have to Dig the field up to find one 

That's why u listen and use a probe and if u doing a big Warren bells on collar never had any probs doing it that way and hardly any digging to locate 

  • Like 1
Link to post

I tried using a hob on a line as a teenager in late 70s. I had a good lurcher and terrier but even watching them and listening a lot, digging was essentially random. Just one outing convinced me line ferreting was a shit idea. Yes the Jill moved👍, I had a harness on the hob and first time on a Warren with few holes I could pull him out 👍 (without rabbit👎) , second time he was in a long way and I had to dig a pilot hole then follow line, dig another hole and poke around with a bramble to locate him👎👎👎 . To hit the tunnel the first hole needed to be quite near the entrance and finding him took longer than waiting. I suspect this is the origin of favouring Jill's which just don't kill or hold as often, IMO. I came back to ferreting in the 90s , immediately bought a MK1 deben and now I would never ferret without locators. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
13 minutes ago, Luckee legs said:

I tried using a hob on a line as a teenager in late 70s. I had a good lurcher and terrier but even watching them and listening a lot, digging was essentially random. Just one outing convinced me line ferreting was a shit idea. Yes the Jill moved👍, I had a harness on the hob and first time on a Warren with few holes I could pull him out 👍 (without rabbit👎) , second time he was in a long way and I had to dig a pilot hole then follow line, dig another hole and poke around with a bramble to locate him👎👎👎 . To hit the tunnel the first hole needed to be quite near the entrance and finding him took longer than waiting. I suspect this is the origin of favouring Jill's which just don't kill or hold as often, IMO. I came back to ferreting in the 90s , immediately bought a MK1 deben and now I would never ferret without locators. 

I only used line when had a lay up used to use a big hob to shift um on other than that no probs and still don't use locators to exspencive still use bells on collars 

Link to post
2 hours ago, Shefflad69 said:

That's why u listen and use a probe and if u doing a big Warren bells on collar never had any probs doing it that way and hardly any digging to locate 

Iam glad in worked for you mate 👍 I put bells on my ferrets But can't hear them Down the holes what's if it's 5 feet Deep 🤔 then u would be in trouble just dosint make any sense line ferrets in my eyes to many things can go wrong thanks for your reply 😉 

  • Like 2
Link to post
2 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

Iam glad in worked for you mate 👍 I put bells on my ferrets But can't hear them Down the holes what's if it's 5 feet Deep 🤔 then u would be in trouble just dosint make any sense line ferrets in my eyes to many things can go wrong thanks for your reply 😉 

😉👍

Link to post
4 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I'm looking for decent ferreting spade lads ,any ideas ? Got to be small or two peace one 

WWW.TOOLSTATION.COM

Micro shovel with round point head. Ideal for use in confined spaces. Pressed steel 147mm width blade with solid core fibreglass shaft and soft grip D handle.

Cheers Arry

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...