The Unintended Keeper ( Diary of a keeping blagger )

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s it for another season  last Saturday was game shooting at its best, lovely clear day, freezing cold and just syndicate members shooting ( and my mate Mosh, but he’s with me, so that’s

Well thank you SL. I have just completed my suspension and read the above posts.  Going forward I will not make any more negative comments and hopefully get this section back to the way it u

So. I’ve decided to start a new thread for the 22/23 season up at the shoot now as you know I’ve been involved with my shoot for a long time ( 15 years or so ) my intention when I joined was to s

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Have you been missing a few lately ?

I'm on 100% success rate so far this year with my .243 that includes deer , fox and squirrel. 

No, I think I’ve missed 1 this year with the NV on the.243 but it will break my heart if I miss now with the cost of ammo, the lad in the shop said they are expecting a big jump in shotgun cartridges 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Stavross said:

No, I think I’ve missed 1 this year with the NV on the.243 but it will break my heart if I miss now with the cost of ammo, the lad in the shop said they are expecting a big jump in shotgun cartridges 

I've got 500 cartridges at present but might stock up as expecting a busy year on crows and pigeons .

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I've got 500 cartridges at present but might stock up as expecting a busy year on crows and pigeons .

He said that at the end of last year the average was an increase of about £27 on a 1000 and he thinks it will be at least the same again, he said the stuff I put through my.243 could get up to 2 quid a round, he was having a rant saying it was just a back handed way of getting people to buy lead free

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Stavross said:

He said that at the end of last year the average was an increase of about £27 on a 1000 and he thinks it will be at least the same again, he said the stuff I put through my.243 could get up to 2 quid a round, he was having a rant saying it was just a back handed way of getting people to buy lead free

When you love your sport though the cost of ammo is irrelevant...better than pissing it up the wall ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

When you love your sport though the cost of ammo is irrelevant...better than pissing it up the wall ?

You could be right Mark, just been out on a walk and called for a swift one. Black Sheep and Nobby’s Nuts, didn’t enjoy them at all really…..?

378043A2-AA70-4BD4-BA54-29B4EB5DA58C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
21 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I said that to the lad in the shop, if it worked out at 5 quid a round the likes of you and me would still pay it because we can and it’s what we love to do, but for some it’s pricing them out, I know an old boy who loves his shotgun shooting, he lives in a private rental ( because the council don’t give a sh*t about housing the likes of him) and is really struggling with the way everything has gone up, when I seen him a week or so ago he said he hadn’t been out on the pigeons because it was a toss up between electric or cartridges, I went home and got everything I had left over from last season and dropped it off for him, I wanted to go and buy him a slab but I know he’d be offended by that, I was looking at Bismuth in the shop and they were £1400 a thousand ?

Who the feck shoots bismuth ?

Rich people, the gun shop I use supplies the grouse moor with bismuth, he must rub his hands together when the season starts 

Got 2 calls today from farmers , 1 lost 2 x 4 day old lambs and another heard one shouting near his chickens. 

get out there, I’m just about to head up to the sheep farm, bollock’s to the rain 

Back to the game and sheep farm last night. It stopped raining about 7.30 and the forecast was clear for the rest of the night so I thought I would go and see if I bumped into a particular fox that I knew was on the ground or it’s mate. This vixen is another that completely ignores any calls and is very wary . I have two cameras up on this farm and before I set off I had an alert on my phone. When I checked it there was a fox on camera 2 at 8.06pm. I met my mate at the farm at 8.45pm and we went to where the fox had been heading. After 45 minutes of nothing at all I thought we may be better at the other side of the farm. Through the gate hole on this 30 acre field is a very convenient hard standing to park on. It offers an excellent vantage point as well for spotting any vulpine activity. In front of us is fields with low hedges eventually leading to the marsh bank. To the left and right are long woods. I have had foxes come from all directions here. About 40 minutes into the vigil I spotted something in the next field around 400yds away that could well be a fox. There are dozens of hares on here so you need to check everything carefully. After a minute or so it moved off towards the wood on our right. I could tell instantly that it was a fox by that gliding movement they have. It came to the corner of the field I was in then entered the wood. It made its way along the edge of the wood coming in and out of view through the thermal. When it was almost opposite us it jumped through the sheep wire fence and into the field we where set up in. After trotting towards us for 15yds it turned to go right. A quick shout stopped it in its tracks and a 32 grn 204 round put an end to its marauding at 190yds. I always knew that killing this vixen would either be a chance encounter or over bait but she didn’t keep a regular pattern on the bait making life difficult.  She was in cub but a couple of weeks away from giving birth. The farmer was ecstatic because vixens with cubs have done him a lot of damage in the past. Its mate showed up on camera 1 at 3.03am so that will be next to be dealt with.

BAB3502F-7A60-4BF6-A75D-FBDCB81261DC.jpeg

• Like 6

Got to be honest I could easily turn full time shooter .Once the lads are working of a day ,time is my own unless there’s a problem or new work arrives in to price .
The dawn at the moment is stunning ,better than evening and usually dry .

Not shooting any foxes at moment as I’d rather they were about in the autumn .Hate killing milky vixens tbh .

Soon be light nights ,roe buck stalking and clients aplenty .Had one out this last Thursday who shot and paid for 5 roe does at £50 each .Who needs to work ?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Got to be honest I could easily turn full time shooter .Once the lads are working of a day ,time is my own unless there’s a problem or new work arrives in to price .
The dawn at the moment is stunning ,better than evening and usually dry .

Not shooting any foxes at moment as I’d rather they were about in the autumn .Hate killing milky vixens tbh .

Soon be light nights ,roe buck stalking and clients aplenty .Had one out this last Thursday who shot and paid for 5 roe does at £50 each .Who needs to work ?

Good if you can get it mate ?

Looking forward to getting out on the bucks and hoping to have a busy year on the crows and pigeons. 

Cant wait to get out on my mates shoot of 1000 acres ,prime area for pigeons and crows and nobody has shot them before. Hoping for some good bags.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Good if you can get it mate ?

Looking forward to getting out on the bucks and hoping to have a busy year on the crows and pigeons. 

Cant wait to get out on my mates shoot of 1000 acres ,prime area for pigeons and crows and nobody has shot them before. Hoping for some good bags.

We don’t seem to get the numbers of pigeons here anymore .

Your lucky in that respect mate .