My mutts and this heat

Never will I understand some dogs. Been 100 degrees ( 37 f) with 100% humidity here every day for the last two months.  Figured I'd be nice and let all the dogs in the house and let them cool off during the heat of the day and soak up the A/C while I sleep and let them out when I leave for work at night. Well two of them will come in look around then start scraping at the door to be let out within ten minutes. Figured my collie mix would really appreciate it since she's covered in fur but nope. Ten minutes and her and the other outside dog are out the door. My chawinnie and fiest are both house dogs so they'll stay in a bit longer but by mid day ( hottest part ) they're usually waking me up to let them out . Ok well figured I'd be nice and put a cheap box fan out in the car port for them since they're always sleeping under my welding table it just in the concrete. Though some air circulation would be good so plug it up and they seem to like it.

IMG_20220709_122529106.jpg.334ca9f61d923a0c60a90b678a80e1f9.jpg

Well they seemed to appreciate it kinda. Three days later they chewed the cord in half ( out of all the tool and extension cords I have out that fan they chewed only the fan cord )and just dug some dust holes under the shade trees in the yard and they seem to be loving life ??

Then I talked to my duck hunting buddy and he's running a yard sprinkler on a mist setting for his labs and they loved it. Well went to the dollar store bought one and set it up . They won't go near the thing. They look at it ,get a little wet and just walk off and sit under a tree. That or walk 200yd behind the house and take a dunk in the cow pond then walk back ?

Heck my over weight fiest will get out of her nice doggy bed  and bark her head off till I wake up and let her out to go run after squirrels and chipmunks in the cow pasture. The whole time I'm watching her I'm expecting her to keel over from exhaustion but nope having the time of her fat life ?

Idk all my friends with pure bred ,papered whatever dog are talking about how they have to do all kinds of stuff for there dogs in this heat meanwhile my mutts just don't seem to care as long as I keep their water changed and they have a shade tree??? I love them to death but I'll never understand them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Never will I understand some dogs. Been 100 degrees ( 37 f) with 100% humidity here every day for the last two months.  Figured I'd be nice and let all the dogs in the house and let them cool off during the heat of the day and soak up the A/C while I sleep and let them out when I leave for work at night. Well two of them will come in look around then start scraping at the door to be let out within ten minutes. Figured my collie mix would really appreciate it since she's covered in fur but nope. Ten minutes and her and the other outside dog are out the door. My chawinnie and fiest are both house dogs so they'll stay in a bit longer but by mid day ( hottest part ) they're usually waking me up to let them out . Ok well figured I'd be nice and put a cheap box fan out in the car port for them since they're always sleeping under my welding table it just in the concrete. Though some air circulation would be good so plug it up and they seem to like it.

IMG_20220709_122529106.jpg.334ca9f61d923a0c60a90b678a80e1f9.jpg

Well they seemed to appreciate it kinda. Three days later they chewed the cord in half ( out of all the tool and extension cords I have out that fan they chewed only the fan cord )and just dug some dust holes under the shade trees in the yard and they seem to be loving life ??

Then I talked to my duck hunting buddy and he's running a yard sprinkler on a mist setting for his labs and they loved it. Well went to the dollar store bought one and set it up . They won't go near the thing. They look at it ,get a little wet and just walk off and sit under a tree. That or walk 200yd behind the house and take a dunk in the cow pond then walk back ?

Heck my over weight fiest will get out of her nice doggy bed  and bark her head off till I wake up and let her out to go run after squirrels and chipmunks in the cow pasture. The whole time I'm watching her I'm expecting her to keel over from exhaustion but nope having the time of her fat life ?

Idk all my friends with pure bred ,papered whatever dog are talking about how they have to do all kinds of stuff for there dogs in this heat meanwhile my mutts just don't seem to care as long as I keep their water changed and they have a shade tree??? I love them to death but I'll never understand them.

My 3 lurchers will go out there way to sit in the full sun ,I worry about them over heating and bring them in but soon as they can escape to the yard they gone ? 

Nearly lost my ferrets because the heat even though they in the shade with fans on cages ,I got the dogs a pool to cool down in but they don't use it so I've been giving the ferrets a swim couple times a day and they love it .

• Like 1

Ours are pretty good - they like laying on the patio in the sun but, they will come indoors when they get hot.

They've got a bowl of water in the kitchen and a bowl outside - the silly sods seem to think the one outside is different and special, they favour it over the one in the kitchen :laugh:

• Like 1

Ours have a paddling pool just a cheap solid plastic thing .and the Mrs hoses down the flags that are in the shade with a damp cool towel put down .but they still go to the sunny spots then crash in the paddling pool when to hot  and then repeat only the pup has the sense to go on the towel 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I like the runner

She's only about 8 months there 3/4 whippet 1/4 grey. The water is that color as it was pumped from a spring fed dam, we were the odd property with water during a drought.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 1