204 in decline??

After handling  a t3x lite in 223 I thought I'd see if I could find one in 204 flavour (my varmint gets pretty heavy by end of the night).

After speaking to couple of places, it seems both tikka & sako have dropped the 20 cal from their models range, even in USA where the calibre is really popular. Forest Lodge told me they still stocking 204 ammo but don't know for how much longer.

I know it's not  a chavvy 223 popularity but I'm pretty surprised they've stopped producing them all together. Plenty of Howa 1500 though. 

@ianm @si brown what you reckon? 

Edited by BenBhoy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never ceases to amaze me why folk in the UK buy heavey barrels. Give me a light weight barrel anyway. After all, I'm not shooting hundreds of prairie dogs!

I have no horse in this contest but I guarantee in a head to head predetermined walk on my patch I will shoot more vermin with my hmr than someone lugging a heavy rifle around in any caliber! The

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

After picking up a t3x lite in 223 I thought I'd see if I could find one in 204 flavour (my varmint gets pretty heavy by end of the night). After speaking to couple of places, it seems both tikka & sako have dropped the 20 cal from their models, even in USA where the calibre is really popular. Forest Lodge told me they still stocking 204 ammo but don't know for how much longer.

I know it's not  a chavvy 223 popularity but I'm pretty surprised they've stopped producing them all together. Plenty of Howa 1500 though. 

@ianm @si brown what you reckon? 

Hmm, that’s surprising given the calibre’s flat shooting ability and terminal effect. I’ve been thinking about a .204 myself for a while now, but if that’s the case, maybe not??

• Like 1

they are a bit heavy with the bull barrel, that's why I ditched the grs stock and got it fluted..

its still a bit of a lump but nice and steady on the sticks so mines going nowhere!

think the reason for sako/tikka stoping making them is because the yanks are tight gits when it comes to spending on rifles and there home grown brands are way cheaper over there. 

save all your brass if its getting hard to find them and ill do a mega load for you

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Dervburner said:

Hmm, that’s surprising given the calibre’s flat shooting ability and terminal effect. I’ve been thinking about a .204 myself for a while now, but if that’s the case, maybe not??

I wouldn't be put off getting one although there pretty sparse on the shelves now.. 

I couldn't bring myself to pay for shop ammo so it makes no odds on availability ill just keep reloading, works out about 34p a  ? 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, si brown said:

I wouldn't be put off getting one although there pretty sparse on the shelves now.. 

I couldn't bring myself to pay for shop ammo so it makes no odds on availability ill just keep reloading, works out about 34p a  ? 

Yerr, the price of factory ammo has gone daft...and the non-toxic stuff....?hells teeth man.?

Just now, Dervburner said:

Yerr, the price of factory ammo has gone daft...and the non-toxic stuff....?hells teeth man.?

I geeked up on non toxic in .204 before I bought it, the yanks that have to use it say it’s good? So it’s future proof too

• Like 2
1 hour ago, si brown said:

still a bit of a lump but nice and steady on the sticks so mines going nowhere

Yeah I'll not be chopping mine in for a howa or remmington! Just have to work out a bit more ?‍♂️

• Haha 1
49 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Yeah I'll not be chopping mine in for a howa or remmington! Just have to work out a bit more ?‍♂️

You need to work on you upper body strength rather than just concentrating on your you wrists ?

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, si brown said:

they are a bit heavy with the bull barrel, that's why I ditched the grs stock and got it fluted..

its still a bit of a lump but nice and steady on the sticks so mines going nowhere!

think the reason for sako/tikka stoping making them is because the yanks are tight gits when it comes to spending on rifles and there home grown brands are way cheaper over there. 

save all your brass if its getting hard to find them and ill do a mega load for you

Photo of fluting please SI , and is it factory barrel 

atb 

28 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Photo of fluting please SI , and is it factory barrel 

atb 

It’s factory standard Dave!

Not sure it made a massive weight saving but it won’t of done any harm.. the gun had only fired 30 shots when I got it so barrels got plenty of life left

CE47531D-53E1-4E02-936F-850265EF8AE3.jpeg.676e388ed1c6fd2d8c97a898e40ddb67.jpegEEBD854B-A826-423B-B9FF-58910F10BA74.jpeg.6fbd6b57fa8c8e70c877225bdf6d87c8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
45 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Never ceases to amaze me why folk in the UK buy heavey barrels.

Give me a light weight barrel anyway. After all, I'm not shooting hundreds of prairie dogs!

Tbh I knew I wanted 204 & tikka and varmint was first that came up, think I'd still be waiting for a sporter.