Partridge netting

gamerooster

3 minutes ago, gamerooster said:

Surely there's just as many now if not more. 

Just French not English.

not around here there isn't. no French at all and only a few English. those were the days of big estates and more shoots. even ordinary farmland held plenty. nowadays if its not a shoot there isn't any. 

• Like 3

Twice  i have shot one out of a covey with a 22 rifle and they have just milled around the dead one  pecking and clucking allowing me to get a few  more shots also i was out lamping one night  and my Bedlington cross took five from one covey .            in the early 60s  i was working at Grafham water with two lads from Newmarket they went netting for Partridges on the Stubbles, their tackle was a net fixed to two drain rods at each end , they caught plenty and offered to take me but i never went because it was a spur of the moment thing where you went when the weather was just right much like netting Rabbits is .

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, mackem said:

Which thermal will you use?Have you used it for birds before? 

No mate, just talking theoretically.

My pals uncle has a flir though and he says its brilliant. He goes out and night just to see what birds are in the hedges.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, gamerooster said:

Surely there's just as many now if not more. 

Just French not English.

Not a fraction of what there was ! their decline came with Mixi and also changing  farming practices .

• Like 3
1 minute ago, micky said:

Not a fraction of what there was ! their decline came with Mixi and also changing  farming practices .

plenty of truth there?. little beddywhippet of mine finds pheasant nests most springs, I don't think I have seen a partridge nest since I was a kid. 

9 minutes ago, gamerooster said:

Do you think what was responsible for the greys was also responsible for the black grouse declining in numbers?

I have never saw a Black Grouse so i know nothing about them but mixi was far reaching , i read somewhere that their droppings  were  essential  for Chick development in the wild population .

20 minutes ago, micky said:

I have never saw a Black Grouse so i know nothing about them but mixi was far reaching , i read somewhere that their droppings  were  essential  for Chick development in the wild population .

I've always wondered how flies and such can feed on sheep and cattle droppings that have been drenched.

Read a research paper that said the biggest issue for grey partridge is loss of suitable habitat and available food sources, surprisingly the didn't lose to many to predators when there was sufficient cover.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2022 at 15:36, gamerooster said:

There's a bit that sells sheet netting, can't mind the name of the spot now.

Though tbh I'm wanting to learn how to knit nets. Be a good way to fill the summer in. 

Did you lads have a cord on the top and weights on the bottom?

Don’t use weights on bottom mate it’s crap , net i seen was about 30 ft long about 6 ft deep with a 2 ft strip of material at the bottom running the full length of the net , the lad who showed me said it was to keep the bottom of the net down and didn’t get tangled as much ,soon you fell the bird hit the net drop it on the floor , was never used seriously tho and was something he said he  just had try , 

you won’t get big numbers unless there are big numbers there to be had , the beauty of thermal spotter will do you a big favour , but to be honest I’ve had partridge sit that tight on lamp dogs and hawks taken them out seat , 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My uncle would take my mum and is  younger brother out long netting with a drag line ,he'd set the nets and get his brother ,sister to drag the line across the field towards the net and they took good bags with rabbits ,kanys, partridges and hares all hitting the net ,

• Like 2