Newbie advice for longlead (slip)

We've got a new Lurcher Pup Saluki X Greyhound and are keen to put her on a longlead (slip) to help with her recall. She's now 7 months and whilst her foundation is reasonable her recall is very hit & miss. We're hoping to improve this but are worried that this type of lead can be harmful to them? Alot of sites say that any Lurcher should be on a harness?     We are not planning to  have the lead super long, just  enough to allow us to do some controlled recalls.

We already use a standard slip lead for her general walks so she is used to the motion. 

Any help appreciated. 

IMG_20211125_173045.jpg

Ignore the rubbish about harnesses. 

Recall should really be pretty well instilled by 7 months as its far easier the younger they are but can still be taught later. Just be aware that being that much older she will have more confidence so you won't be able to rely on her not wanting to be left do much.

You will basically have to be far more exciting than anything else that may be distracting her. Therefore don't try and do it in a park with other dogs or people or anywhere with loads of scent.

If she's into toys that can help as can treats.

I'm assuming she's going to be a pet rather than work but still might be worth buying some lurcher training books as the basics remain the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Jooles said:

We've got a new Lurcher Pup Saluki X Greyhound and are keen to put her on a longlead (slip) to help with her recall. She's now 7 months and whilst her foundation is reasonable her recall is very hit & miss. We're hoping to improve this but are worried that this type of lead can be harmful to them? Alot of sites say that any Lurcher should be on a harness?     We are not planning to  have the lead super long, just  enough to allow us to do some controlled recalls.

We already use a standard slip lead for her general walks so she is used to the motion. 

Any help appreciated. 

IMG_20211125_173045.jpg

lovely pup mate just go out in the fire lad and get walking mate she will soon be behind you following you stop every now and again have a little play with her i wouldn’t be doing a lot of calling her ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Harness in my opinion will only teach a dog at that age to pull, soft toy on a lengh of soft string works well, spin it around you, drag it along make it a game, let the pup catch it from time to time but Don't snatch it out the pups mouth, (soft string then it will snap and not cause any harm to the pups mouth if you snatch it by mistake)

• Thanks 1

I just let all my dogs follow the older pack members from as soon as they have had their jabs...got a 9 week old terrier pup here,I open the back door and say 'toilet' and it follows the other dogs outside and empties it's self....when we are out,I play the old hide and seek with em? I very rarely use a lead on my runners...soon as the terriers show an interest...they on the couple's when there's stuff to ground ..DSC_2193.JPG.d134fc43d2c472878f93163eb9104929.JPGDSC_2199.JPG.c04bb28798970a6c704ce96ce1578250.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting ; my pup, who will be 9 month old next week, had exceptional recall, I was quite supprised at how good it was, but one morning she was off the lead and saw another dog in the distance; she had a look at it, then a look at me, but I called her and she came to hand, but I wasn't happy, I had a bit of doubt, and sure enough, next time she saw a dog in the distance, she had a look at me, then back at the dog, I called her and she hesitated for a moment and took off !

So, I got out the long lead, I hadn't used it on her before, but I had to nip the bad habit in the bud and get her back on track.

I let her range out about 20-30 feet, and as soon as she looked at another dog I'd give a gentle tug and call her back. A few days of this and she's back on track.

So it worked for my dog, it may not work for all dogs, but I find it just another tool in training a pup.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Interesting ; my pup, who will be 9 month old next week, had exceptional recall, I was quite supprised at how good it was, but one morning she was off the lead and saw another dog in the distance; she had a look at it, then a look at me, but I called her and she came to hand, but I wasn't happy, I had a bit of doubt, and sure enough, next time she saw a dog in the distance, she had a look at me, then back at the dog, I called her and she hesitated for a moment and took off !

So, I got out the long lead, I hadn't used it on her before, but I had to nip the bad habit in the bud and get her back on track.

I let her range out about 20-30 feet, and as soon as she looked at another dog I'd give a gentle tug and call her back. A few days of this and she's back on track.

So it worked for my dog, it may not work for all dogs, but I find it just another tool in training a pup.

Cheers.

ive never used one to be honest chart 

pups ill just go big walks with ignore them so they are pestering me odd stop little stroke then back off again 

once i lead em up make sure the c**ts arent puling me arm out unless something lifts i say steady i want them walking steady lol 

41 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

ive never used one to be honest chart 

pups ill just go big walks with ignore them so they are pestering me odd stop little stroke then back off again 

once i lead em up make sure the c**ts arent puling me arm out unless something lifts i say steady i want them walking steady lol 

I like 2 have a bull x ripping me shoulder out when it sees summat ,keeps u on your toes and stops your arms shrinking ,constant pulling does ones head in tho and requires a kick 2 the hole 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone, some sound advice. She is going to be a pet but that said we understand she has high prey drive so she's always gonna want to hunt naturally. We have an older 10 year  Greyhound x deerhound who has a good recall but this little one seems a bit more headstrong, or maybe we just forgot  ? We'll get to work on all the tricks, hopefully she'll come good if we keep it constant.  Thankyou for clearing up the harness issue. IMG_20211112_144310.jpg.376ce5dfd6d179b8a054ceda24f78670.jpg

IMG_20211112_144440.jpg

IMG_20211118_174656.jpg

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Black neck said:

I like 2 have a bull x ripping me shoulder out when it sees summat ,keeps u on your toes and stops your arms shrinking ,constant pulling does ones head in tho and requires a kick 2 the hole 

Swift slam to the ribs does um no harm 

• Sad 1

Yeh I have used a long lead with good effect many years ago on dog that was a year old with bad recall ...it worked a treat and within a few hours had its recall bang on ...just remember to use the same word as a command ..ie "come"... don't change the pitch in your voice either 

• Thanks 1