I keep looking.....

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Ots like a bloody minefield.

I think this is a can of worms you don’t need to open sd!

it is a minefield and once you’ve had a fox bolt from the ir at 200yard and your head go’s..the next option is thermal. 

Ive watched them broadside 200yard away just turn round and look at me once I’ve hit the switch.. I’ve had them paired up look like I’ve walked in the bedroom and turnd the light on?

I recon you stay as you are?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fox down. Had a migraine this afternoon so not feeling my best I wrapped up and got to my seat. Wind was good. The sheep had bedded close to and I could clearly see them. I thought they will

Well guys this has been very interesting  and I have learnt a lot. I have had two units in my hands. One very expensive! Interestingly, the expensive one can still have issues! Something jus

You may well decide it is a lot of hammer to crack a nut and you alone can make that decision. There are a lot of things to consider before switching to n/v. I know for you it is a hobby same as

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, si brown said:

it is a minefield and once you’ve had a fox bolt from the ir at 200yard and your head go’s..the next option is thermal. 

Ive watched them broadside 200yard away just turn round and look at me once I’ve hit the switch.. I’ve had them paired up look like I’ve walked in the bedroom and turnd the light on?

I have had that with LED i/rs but never with the vcsel laser.

37 minutes ago, si brown said:

Oh!

Well I have witnessed this with a pard nv17. I would be annoyed if I just spent near a grand and it didn't work!

Thermal is to much for my pockets unless its in the Damart catalogue!

6 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Oh!

Well I have witnessed this with a pard nv17. I would be annoyed if I just spent near a grand and it didn't work!

Thermal is to much for my pockets unless its in the Damart catalogue!

If you use a powerful 940nm vcsel laser they won't see it. They are more likely to see someone walking ie: movement .  But what are you going to spot lamp shy foxes with? If it is a torch/lamp it's surely defeating the object.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ianm said:

If you use a powerful 940nm vcsel laser they won't see it. They are more likely to see someone walking ie: movement .  But what are you going to spot lamp shy foxes with? If it is a torch/lamp it's surely defeating the object.

It's a paradox isn't it.

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Yes but then when I report a super slinky someone  pops up and says " ever heard of nv" ?.

I'm confused ?.

I guess it is a lot of hammer to crack a nut!

You may well decide it is a lot of hammer to crack a nut and you alone can make that decision.

There are a lot of things to consider before switching to n/v. I know for you it is a hobby same as me, do you need to kill every fox that turns up on your patch? Or if a lamp shy slinky shows up will it gnaw at you till you get it or it moves on? Will a considerable financial outlay make you more efficient and make your hobby more enjoyable? How many switched on foxes do you have to deal with every year and does that number justify the outlay? Are you comfortable using that kind of technology or would you do so grudgingly? By the way i have never yet seen anyone that has tried to use n/v or thermal grudgingly be successful. Because they cannot get their head around what and how to use it, the kit is invariably "sh*t" and not worth bothering with and not unsurprisingly there are a lot of people like that. Depending on the situation you may have to change the way you operate to use n/v to your advantage, can you do that easily or are you a "i have always done such and such so that is what i will do" type of bloke? 

All these and more are questions only you can answer and decide upon. I decided early doors that n/v was the way forward for me and adopted it enthusiastically many don't, won't or can't. I have a mate that decided he needed n/v some five years ago, he started with a photon xt and now has a pard 008. I have spent hours setting him up and talking him through the use of them but in all honesty i am wasting my time because he simply cannot get his head around it, it isn't helped by the fact he is as thick as mince and shakes like a shitting dog. Now i know you are certainly not in that category not by a long chalk but only you can decide if you will get on with n/v. It is a shame we don't live a lot closer then we could of spent a few nights with you trying whatever kit i have to see if it would be suitable for you before deciding yay or nay. Even buying relatively cheap kit is a big outlay and it may not suit your requirements. Good luck with whatever you decide.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, ianm said:

You may well decide it is a lot of hammer to crack a nut and you alone can make that decision.

There are a lot of things to consider before switching to n/v. I know for you it is a hobby same as me, do you need to kill every fox that turns up on your patch? Or if a lamp shy slinky shows up will it gnaw at you till you get it or it moves on? Will a considerable financial outlay make you more efficient and make your hobby more enjoyable? How many switched on foxes do you have to deal with every year and does that number justify the outlay? Are you comfortable using that kind of technology or would you do so grudgingly? By the way i have never yet seen anyone that has tried to use n/v or thermal grudgingly be successful. Because they cannot get their head around what and how to use it, the kit is invariably "sh*t" and not worth bothering with and not unsurprisingly there are a lot of people like that. Depending on the situation you may have to change the way you operate to use n/v to your advantage, can you do that easily or are you a "i have always done such and such so that is what i will do" type of bloke? 

All these and more are questions only you can answer and decide upon. I decided early doors that n/v was the way forward for me and adopted it enthusiastically many don't, won't or can't. I have a mate that decided he needed n/v some five years ago, he started with a photon xt and now has a pard 008. I have spent hours setting him up and talking him through the use of them but in all honesty i am wasting my time because he simply cannot get his head around it, it isn't helped by the fact he is as thick as mince and shakes like a shitting dog. Now i know you are certainly not in that category not by a long chalk but only you can decide if you will get on with n/v. It is a shame we don't live a lot closer then we could of spent a few nights with you trying whatever kit i have to see if it would be suitable for you before deciding yay or nay. Even buying relatively cheap kit is a big outlay and it may not suit your requirements. Good luck with whatever you decide.  

Thank you. Brilliantly put. Especially  the shaking bit ?.

Hmm. Well there are many occasions I wait at dusk for one to pop out of cover. I see it working well then.

I often feel anxious when I switch the guns light on for the shot wondering how many seconds have I got.....

Sometimes I have to sit and wait up the chicken sheds for one to arrive. I often wonder if it will be better for that job.

Others lamp around here and educate them. I do get regular slinky educated fox's and no its not really my fault! Sometimes, but not often.

I am tempted to get with it so to speak but being long sighted I need simple controls, not lots of buttons with tiny symbols etc.

I'm going to visit my dealer and look at some. Go from there.

Thanks again.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

not lots of buttons with tiny symbols etc.

That's why I don't think pard008 will suit you mate. Better with one button that twist to scroll through options & push it to select. 

• Like 1