8 hours on foot!

Or there abouts. 6:30 to 3pm.

My body hurts!

Took my 10g out for a good ole' walk starting with fox calling at first light. Nothing showed. I know one is about but I just can't seem to find the little rascal!

Anyway settled into some bird hunting. There are way more woodcock this year and I got one. Seen seven today.

20211203_111109.jpg.9e0b09f7804d455ecf5027d1a3066867.jpg

Next up was a hen bird.

20211203_125614.jpg.dc26d1989360f8a723f84d041afdcc8b.jpgThen on the way home I got two more cock birds.

20211203_140709.jpg.9169ba5f583d9517a262a710439d946b.jpgAbsolutely jiggered.  Game bag had three pheasants in it and a woodcock. 

Jess worked hard. She had a rince and food.20211203_090628.jpg.74bc1e4bbe01bf5a49c9a0c5a3dcb06e.jpg

The gun can wait, I'm getting a bath. Zzzzzz

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, Deker said:

Must be at least 2 years since I had a woodcock, to be honest probably a bit more, not many about here and too quick for me these days!:yes::thumbs:

Can't remember ever seeing 7 in a single shoot!

:thumbs:

It has been  a lean 2 years here Deker for woodcock.

I won't deliberately pursue them this season again. It will only be an opportunist shot if it happens again.

I could of done with two really. I make a meatloaf with dark meat gamebirds as I'm not to keen on gamey rich meats.

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

It has been  a lean 2 years here Deker for woodcock.

I won't deliberately pursue them this season again. It will only be an opportunist shot if it happens again.

I could of done with two really. I make a meatloaf with dark meat gamebirds as I'm not to keen on gamey rich meats.

Never tried, like the birds as they are, but I have to say that's an idea, I'd be happy to try a meatloaf, need to find a good recipe, I'm not the worlds greatest cook!! :thumbs:

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Deker said:

Never tried, like the birds as they are, but I have to say that's an idea, I'd be happy to try a meatloaf, need to find a good recipe, I'm not the worlds greatest cook!! :thumbs:

Sure, I was watching them interact in a stream one very snowy day as I waited for a fox to turn up. They were only a few yards away. They were chasing each other around and would flick their tails to flash the cream white feathers similar to how an alarmed moorhen does.

It changed how I see them now.

Meatloaf is simple.

Food blender.

Cleaned meat, a little amount of onion, black pepper,  salt and a slice of bread.  A little olive oil.

Press the button until it is all a paste. Put in an earthenware or tin and bake for about 40 minutes.

Add other ingredients if you wish. A little garlic, chili or some herbs.

Easy peasy.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Sure, I was watching them interact in a stream one very snowy day as I waited for a fox to turn up. They were only a few yards away. They were chasing each other around and would flick their tails to flash the cream white feathers similar to how an alarmed moorhen does.

It changed how I see them now.

Meatloaf is simple.

Food blender.

Cleaned meat, a little amount of onion, black pepper,  salt and a slice of bread.  A little olive oil.

Press the button until it is all a paste. Put in an earthenware or tin and bake for about 40 minutes.

Add other ingredients if you wish. A little garlic, chili or some herbs.

Easy peasy.

I've saved that so I can give it a try...I still have no confidence in my ability though!  Time will tell!

Cheers :thumbs:

3 hours ago, Deker said:

Must be at least 2 years since I had a woodcock, to be honest probably a bit more, not many about here and too quick for me these days!:yes::thumbs:

Can't remember ever seeing 7 in a single shoot!

My farms over run with them , nightmare when lamping as getting up right under my feet and scaring the shit out me lol 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

My farms over run with them , nightmare when lamping as getting up right under my feet and scaring the shit out me lol 

Let me know if you want some help! :yes:

My lad lives in Caerphilly, I could see him and help you...so long as yours don't fly too fast! :laugh::thumbs:

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Deker said:

Let me know if you want some help! :yes:

My lad lives in Caerphilly, I could see him and help you...so long as yours don't fly too fast! :laugh::thumbs:

I'm in not in wales now mate I'm stone throw away from sausage dog