Flightpond up and running

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been feeding a pond the last couple of weeks.  It’s in the middle of a wood and entry for the duck and shooting isn’t easy but they like it. Numbers have built quickly and took 3 tonight before lettin

We thought we had shit out but right on last light they came in. Another was unpicked and all I found in the morning was a gizzard…  

25 shots for 7 teal. Must have had 100 come in

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Rubbish tonight. 

I put two wigeon decoys on the pond and fck me the mallard didn't like either them or something else....they wouldn't come in, circling but not coming in. 

Shame as I took the young lad, he managed a shot at a passing teal but missed. His first shot with a 12 bore at live game 

IMG_20211110_163035.jpg

IMG_20211110_173224.jpg

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

Rubbish tonight. 

I put two wigeon decoys on the pond and fck me the mallard didn't like either them or something else....they wouldn't come in, circling but not coming in. 

Shame as I took the young lad, he managed a shot at a passing teal but missed. His first shot with a 12 bore at live game 

IMG_20211110_163035.jpg

IMG_20211110_173224.jpg

Great looking ponds you have there, you get wigeon on them ?...look very ‘Tealy’ !....shot a new one last weekend and took home half a dozen mallard, saw 3 teal but too quick.....don’t get many wigeon round here but have high hopes for the new pond.....have killed the odd wigeon but have always been females or cocks coming out of eclipse......first proper cock is going to the taxidermist!.....

11 hours ago, bell said:

Great looking ponds you have there, you get wigeon on them ?...look very ‘Tealy’ !....shot a new one last weekend and took home half a dozen mallard, saw 3 teal but too quick.....don’t get many wigeon round here but have high hopes for the new pond.....have killed the odd wigeon but have always been females or cocks coming out of eclipse......first proper cock is going to the taxidermist!.....

No we don't get any wigeon round here, but I was rushing and couldn't reach the mallard decoys further along the shelf as my store room is a mess. Small well fed flight ponds shouldn't need a decoy but being a still night and others shooting in the area I thought it might help...but it didn't, something about it was putting the mallard off, either placement or species 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, bell said:

Had these the other night before my mate put his truck into a ditch and that was the end of what looked like a good flight !

82CD837C-6975-418C-9F50-E190FE141438.jpeg

I've stopped shooting woodcock and snipe as I don't eat em and don't know anyone who really does. Shame cos I enjoy shooting them

• Like 1
Just now, DIDO.1 said:

I've stopped shooting woodcock and snipe as I don't eat em and don't know anyone who really does. Shame cos I enjoy shooting them

A lot of people wont raise a gun to them but i think they are fantastic sporting birds and make great eating.  Pushed 6 out of a small patch and only shot this one.

• 2 weeks later...