FAC application, some help and advice please

FAC air has come a long way from the days of rapid  ,BSA guns running at 24-30 ftlbs . FX are the leaders in FAC air , having guns running at 100 or so ftlbs . Slugs have made a big difference in FAC air that’s for sure 

I have .25 impact running at 72 ftlbs with H&N  , JSB and ZAN slugs all round 32-33.5 gr .  I still have room for impact to run at 80ftlbs .FX crown running 42 ftlbs with 21 gr H&N or ZAN slug . These guns are so accurate past 100+ yards . I have taken rabbits at 120 yards with no problem 

This is a group using JSB slugs at 140 yards in 17 mph wind right to left 

7C252525-5812-43F5-9FEF-E8E0CF791B6E.jpeg

• Like 4

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I may live to regret this but i hope not. If it helps you, you are welcome to come over here (south of Preston) and i will take you to one of my places. I will run through the safety aspects and set u

I thought I was a bit over dressed at the last .223 convention ?

Just a quick update to say that my FAC landed today ?. All calibres which I applied for have been granted so it’s time to go shopping ?. I would also like to thank everyone for your help and

Posted Images

Morning chaps

Firstly many thanks to everyone  for all the info and advice so far, it really is helpful and very much appreciated ?.

As I mentioned in my opening post the land I currently have permission on is approximately 75 acres in total but apparently the land owners also have another family property which as yet I haven’t seen so I don’t know a great deal about apart from the fact  it’s around 50 acres or so which they are also quite happy for me to shoot over ? so i can consider myself very fortunate as I know just how difficult it is to gain permissions.

At the moment I think the best thing to do would be as BenBoy advised and contact West Yorkshire Police to find out exactly what calibers the land has been cleared for which will have an affect on what  I can/cannot apply for.

As far as I’m aware my club is passed for all calibers although during my probation period i only shot up to .243 c/f,  and again as  advised I shall put all guns down for both vermin control and target .

All  your comments and suggestions are definitely making me have a rethink (as I knew they would ?) but it’s probably a good idea to put down my reasoning for my initial choice. 

.22 air rifle,    I listed this because there are stables and cowsheds so was considering something from the FX range which the power could be turned down for the rats and pigeons in the buildings then turned up to 30-35ft lb for out in the fields.

.22 LR    for use as a daytime set up with a standard scope and to give a bit more range than the fac air rifle.

.22 LR    As above but for use as a dedicated NV set up without having to swap over scopes.

.17 HMR  For that bit more distance over the .22 LR and with the intention (if allowed) as a close range foxing round.

I think the above gives good reason and justification to satisfy the FEO although having re-read through everyone’s  comments and recommendations I  think I can safely say that the above list is probably going to change .

Thanks again everyone 

Atb

Steve

12 hours ago, Alsone said:

Also, bear in mind the cost. The list above comes to £6k+ by my estimation.

Hi Alsone

Yep it is a fair old wedge but fortunately I have already got the gun cabinet in place and have more than enough good quality scopes , NV and all the other bits and pieces so thankfully it’s just the guns and ammunition.

If I’m a bit short I can always sell a kidney ?.

Regards

Steve

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, villaman said:

Decent FAC air will give you more accurate distance than 22lr

? I was going to say to the OP, check out some of the videos on Youtube from AirArmsHunting SA and others:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AirArmsHuntingSA

You'll find an FX Impact with slugs @ 60ft lbs used to 140yds. A .22rf will suffer huge amounts of bullet drop beyond 100yds but is good below that. Can be pushed further, but will need a lot of compensation. That's why I said above they're all fullfilling almost the same role when it comes to small pest shooting in open ground. 0-100 yds in the open, little to choose.

Indoors air more suited. You may need a non slug barrel to change to pellets for indoors.

If you're shooting pens, then air is probably a choice albeit you can put BB / CB caps through a .22LR which means as an all round gun, one that shoots these might justify the LR alone as it will then do pens, rabbits to around 100yds and fox if permitted to 50yds or so. I can't comment on the detruction of BB / CB caps in sheds / pens as I've never used one except on a fairground.

Only the HMR has no option for shooting sheds and pens.

However, it depends on how much you want a dedicated rifle for each role. As said above, the danger is when you duplicate roles, you end up with a favorutie gun and others sit inthe cabinet. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

I'd have more confidence in decent FAC air than. 22lr with caps 

So would I, and frankly with the shorts and longs as well (even the .22lr quiets).  I have a few longs about somewhere, (and a few shot shells, that's a different story but something you can't do with FAC Air), but I can't actually remember the last time I saw any caps or shorts for the .22....can you still buy them???

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, Deker said:

So would I, and frankly with the shorts and longs as well (even the .22lr quiets).  I have a few longs about somewhere, (and a few shot shells, that's a different story but something you can't do with FAC Air), but I can't actually remember the last time I saw any caps or shorts for the .22....can you still buy them???

You can, I bought 200 cb caps just before covid and I bought 500 .22 shorts a few weeks ago, I use them mainly for rats, outdoors of course ??

• Like 1
23 hours ago, villaman said:

I can take my FX crown from 42 fpe down to under 12fpe with in seconds , including altering the scope 

Any idea what the .25 crowns run at out of the box vm? I know yours is .22 but I was considering a crown in .25, I don’t want a stupid long barrel on it though, 500 max.??

10 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

You can, I bought 200 cb caps just before covid and I bought 500 .22 shorts a few weeks ago, I use them mainly for rats, outdoors of course ??

Ok, so they are still about then......  have you used the .22 shotshells at all?  They have their uses, but not many, or very often!! :thumbs:

31 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Yerr, got a bit of a mixture deker...

4657549E-F4C9-436E-9399-3346E5BAC90F.jpeg

You certainly have a wider selection than me right now! 

I've probably got about 10-12 different types of .22LR, and a handful of shotshells and Longs, that it for me!

:thumbs:

Just a quick update lads, I contacted West Yorkshire Police and apparently the land has never had a search done, I’m told that they will visit and check the land once my application is in.

Villaman, judging by your results I’m wondering whether I actually need a .22 lr! Did you get all four guns on your initial grant with no questions asked?.

A .25 impact running at 70+ ft lb definitely sounds good ?.