FAC question

I’m new to air rifles, so excuse me if this has been asked 100 times before. I’m thinking of getting a FAC air rifle. As the process can take quite a while, can I buy a 12flb air rifle, then get it tuned up when my variation comes through..also I know someone who is selling what I want in FAC. Could I have it restricted and buy it while I wait for my variation to come through, then have it turned back up? Is this even possible? 

• Like 1

It's possible but aggro. Once an air rifle is registered as section 1 (FAC) it's pretty much registered as that for the rest of its life and an enormous ballache to get it unregistered again.

FAC air rifles are generally worth less than sub-12s due to the smaller market for them. Best thing you could do (in my opinion) is buy a sub-12 now then when you get your FAC buy a section 1 gun and sell your sub-12 if you want to. ?

I'm sure one of the airgunners will be along shortly to poo-poo my idea. 

Walsh it has hit the nail

in the head 100%
if you buy a sub 12 and want to convert it up to fac it is doable but will cost a bit depending on what you buy.. some will be a few quid and others run in hundreds and that’s not including the smiths fee if you can’t do it yourself. 

id hold out till your variation comes back… I use fac air instead of a rimfire, handy things to have in the cabinet 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies… I’m getting more permissions in less rural areas, so my .17hmr is a bit loud. I’ve been looking at some videos on YouTube and there having good results with a sub 12flb air rifle, so I might just get one of them and not bother with the FAC air rifle.. if I did get a FAC air rifle, I’d sell my rim fire. 

22 hours ago, moonlighter said:

Thanks for the replies… I’m getting more permissions in less rural areas, so my .17hmr is a bit loud. I’ve been looking at some videos on YouTube and there having good results with a sub 12flb air rifle, so I might just get one of them and not bother with the FAC air rifle.. if I did get a FAC air rifle, I’d sell my rim fire. 

FAC air can be very useful but it isn’t really a replacement for .17 hmr, maybe nearer to .22 rimfire in some situations, better than both for some. They can offer a lot more reach and hitting power than a 12ft lb rifle though. Rookery shooting for example, fac air is probably the best tool for the job?

• Like 1

Yep big fan of FAC air myself. The gun I pick most is my FX crown.22 using 21 gr ZAN slugs running @ 950 FPS . Absolutely laser accurate at 100+ yards . Just rescoped my FX impact .25 that is running @ 970 FPS with 33 gr slugs and once again unbelievable accurate @ 100+ yards . 
Don’t use my .22 lr much as FAC air will do the same or more

i must admit 17 HMR is getting used more and more lately. Had a very nice shot on bank holiday 244 yard shot on a pigeon 1 1/2 mill dot hold over 

• Like 1

I did mine last year, brought a brand new .25 sub 12ftp, already had a alot for one on my licence,  took it to my local shop who applied it to my licence ( £20 fee) then i took it home and turned it up to 28ftp.

I checked first with my firearms officer and he told me i couldnt turn it up before it was put on my licence or it would be illegal, also there is no miminum required ftp limit for a fac, as long as it is the correct calibre and serial number on your license all is good.

If you need anymore info let me know 

Atb

Mart

12 hours ago, Mmamonster said:

I did mine last year, brought a brand new .25 sub 12ftp, already had a alot for one on my licence,  took it to my local shop who applied it to my licence ( £20 fee) then i took it home and turned it up to 28ftp.

I checked first with my firearms officer and he told me i couldnt turn it up before it was put on my licence or it would be illegal, also there is no miminum required ftp limit for a fac, as long as it is the correct calibre and serial number on your license all is good.

If you need anymore info let me know 

Atb

Mart

As a matter of interest Mart, which gun did you get.

Phil

• Like 1