Another cage trap

On 10/07/2021 at 20:37, Wolfdog91 said:

Hay what can I say wanted to make sure I gave lots detailed pictures incase one of y'all wanted break the mold and actually build something for a change ??

We do occasionally build something over here?  Though my efforts are a bit sad when compared with your traps. 

I made this a  years ago from old shelving that came from a shop refit.

Its still surprisingly ( considering it's  something l made?) in one piece and a few days ago caught the culprit that was sniffing around my chickens . I could tolerate it coming round at night when the girls were shut away . According to a neighbour it was seemingly waiting for me to go to work and spending it's  day planning an attack on my hens. I've only two hens ,they are old and don't  lay much . It's  just the principle of the thing !

20210718_093227.jpg.c45c20bb9d1e41164e396e0f19d4f020.jpg

9 hours ago, comanche said:

We do occasionally build something over here?  Though my efforts are a bit sad when compared with your traps. 

I made this a  years ago from old shelving that came from a shop refit.

Its still surprisingly ( considering it's  something l made?) in one piece and a few days ago caught the culprit that was sniffing around my chickens . I could tolerate it coming round at night when the girls were shut away . According to a neighbour it was seemingly waiting for me to go to work and spending it's  day planning an attack on my hens. I've only two hens ,they are old and don't  lay much . It's  just the principle of the thing !

20210718_093227.jpg.c45c20bb9d1e41164e396e0f19d4f020.jpg

Hay you actually cathing something with yours lol!  If it works it work! About how big is that cage ?

15 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Hay you actually cathing something with yours lol!  If it works it work! About how big is that cage ?

Hello Wolfdog. The trap is just over five feet long . Barely  the minimum size for a fox cage to my thinking but l only a limited supply of (free?) material to make it. 

I think most designs for fox cage traps are flawed anyway . They all seem to be too small and based on the run-through type of cages with doors at the end . 

I can't  help thinking that a much bigger cage with some of the panels being solid , and most importantly   , a side door would be more efficient. 

Not unlike  those old wolf traps where bait was placed in a round pen . The wolf  circled the perimeter until it came to a weak spot ; which  happened to be a one- way door !

Trouble  is , something like that would be a bit of a swine to cart about on a bicycle ....?

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, comanche said:

Hello Wolfdog. The trap is just over five feet long . Barely  the minimum size for a fox cage to my thinking but l only a limited supply of (free?) material to make it. 

I think most designs for fox cage traps are flawed anyway . They all seem to be too small and based on the run-through type of cages with doors at the end . 

I can't  help thinking that a much bigger cage with some of the panels being solid , and most importantly   , a side door would be more efficient. 

Not unlike  those old wolf traps where bait was placed in a round pen . The wolf  circled the perimeter until it came to a weak spot ; which  happened to be a one- way door !

Trouble  is , something like that would be a bit of a swine to cart about on a bicycle ....?

How about two shopping trollies end to end - and a towbar? ?

• Haha 1