Gumtree.ie 11 month old kelpie

I've been out lamping alongside a mate of mine  and witnessed a three quarter blue merel collie x grey they are very clever switched on an keen I believe that the three quarter bred are far  more useful  in the field good luck with your chosen running dog you use whatever ever dog that takes your fancy and provides you with electrical sport in sport carl Williams 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lovely wee tykes,..(amazing price tag❗) I would have to see the temperament of both parents, before even considering owning such a unique breed... There are some nice ACD x Greyhound lurcher abou

I always say to my son that the reason we like our own company is because we come from a long line of lighthouse keepers.?

?

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Rudeboy 1 said:

I've been out lamping alongside a mate of mine  and witnessed a three quarter blue merel collie x grey they are very clever switched on an keen I believe that the three quarter bred are far  more useful  in the field good luck with your chosen running dog you use whatever ever dog that takes your fancy and provides you with electrical sport in sport carl Williams 

21 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Seen some very good 3/4 breds, but  also found many of them to be 'borderline'.  ?

18 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

3 quarter bred wouldn’t be my choice of a dog, but hey each to their own, I’ll stick with me half cross for now?

?

1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

3/4 collie too slow for most stuff on most ground. Smart dogs sure and make a good mooched and good ferreter but then so does a pure collie. 

Like you say, I like some of these 3/4 collie crosses, but on the majority of ground they wouldn't have enough pace.  Even some pretty fast 1/2 cross collie/greyhounds have been outpaced a few times on a couple of places I've been lamping.  And I mean outpaced by some of the rabbits there.  They aint as easy to catch as some people think.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

My half cross can boogy for a big chick but I’m under no illusions that she is a speed demon am will catch all she tries haha I thought about a pure more than once, an still wonder if I should have got one but truth is the half cross is not only a bit more useful it’s also a lot more relaxed an easier to live with, but again I knew what I was getting an what I wanted an had experience of them before I went down the speedsters route 

Yeah she looks a cracker katch.  I'm not saying ALL reverse 3/4 breds are too slow, or a lot of half crosses would be too slow.  But I've seen it in a few half crosses on some of the ground we've covered.  

I'm talking lamping here mind.  ?

18 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Hi Neal,..I was offered this lovely bitch for free, off a good old pal...

We took her out ferreting and she was real nice to be around...

He told me that she had been tried on the sheep but had showed little promise ..

I've been around Herders all my life, and I feel that with a bit of help from shepherding friends, I could have got her going..

She went on to be put to Greyhounds and produced some nice first cross hybrids...

We had plenty of working dogs here at the time, but,...I really should have taken her....?

Ranks Ferreting Feb 2006 015_edited-1 (2).jpg

That's a stunning animal!

I know exactly what you mean. I regularly see adverts for kelpie which are being sold because they have no interest in sheep when all they need is a bit more time. The dog all mine are line bred to, Abernant Jim, was a very late starter but went on to be an amazing working dog. I think people just expect immediate results in this day and age of emails as opposed to letters and the internal combustion engine as opposed to shanks's pony.

Edited to add: I've been trying to work out what that photo reminds me of and I've just realised...it's the werewolf Professor Rebus Lupin from Harry Potter.? I think it's because it looks like it's bipedal.

Edited by Neal
6 hours ago, Black neck said:

Well I'm originally a zulu and when the white man fancied shooting us it didn't matter about proof ,tbh 

You should be a decent hunter with that background, even lions don't mess with Zulu I've been told. I'm the type of person that treats people how they treat me whatever their race. My nieces bloke is a black Filipino cage fighter and built like a brick shithouse. He's a top bloke and true gentleman when not fighting.

Edited by Aussie Whip
3 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

You should be a decent hunter with that background, even lions don't mess with Zulu I've been told. I'm the type of person that treats people how they treat me whatever their race. My nieces bloke is a black Filipino cage fighter and built like a brick shithouse. He's a top bloke and true gentleman when not fighting.

I still don't like Michael cain

• Haha 1