Value of scrap magnesium ??

11 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Nice little snippet of info there mate like things like that ??

As said mate, not totally certain. I learnt about it 20 years ago when I was studying engineering. 

4 minutes ago, Greyman said:

They look like this mate and the bigger the boat the more of them there are, people change them when they have the underwater part of the boat painted and as it’s an every 4 year job there is often loads of meat left on them when they get changed so recon if I,m doing a couple of boats a week may build up some good weight, if it’s sellable ?

No pic mate.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Greyman said:

They look like this mate and the bigger the boat the more of them there are, people change them when they have the underwater part of the boat painted and as it’s an every 4 year job there is often loads of meat left on them when they get changed so recon if I,m doing a couple of boats a week may build up some good weight, if it’s sellable ?

87B0E673-F0E3-4963-A083-D0683DE2FFCC.png

I'd say they're an high grade alloy, magnesium and aluminium (+small % of other metals). As opposed to pure (nearly 99%) magnesium. Check for proof marks or chemical symbols, they should let you know. Be careful, them waste cnuts will have you bent over and emptying your wallet for fines, if you fall foul of the regulations ;)

My old boss 25 odd years ago got done for having a shitload of old compressors, full of the old school refrigeration gas (I think it was R12 but could be wrong, any fridge guys I'm sure will clear it up). Massive fine.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, riohog said:

i thought they were    lead/

Nah mate. The whole idea is that the anodes oxidise and perish before the main structure. Lead is practically inert, so doesn't readily oxidise, which means the steel would oxidise first. So having lead anodes would be pointless.

31 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Nah mate. The whole idea is that the anodes oxidise and perish before the main structure. Lead is practically inert, so doesn't readily oxidise, which means the steel would oxidise first. So having lead anodes would be pointless.

Sacrificial anodes are normally supplied with either lead wires or cast-m straps to facilitate their connection to the structure being protected. The lead wires may be attached to the structure by welding or mechanical connections. ... The more active metal (anode) is sacrificed to protect the less active metal (cathode)   .......   they certainly used lead sacrificial anodes on warships when i was in the rn    maybe it was to do with the seawater  

6 minutes ago, riohog said:

Sacrificial anodes are normally supplied with either lead wires or cast-m straps to facilitate their connection to the structure being protected. The lead wires may be attached to the structure by welding or mechanical connections. ... The more active metal (anode) is sacrificed to protect the less active metal (cathode)   .......   they certainly used lead sacrificial anodes on warships when i was in the rn    maybe it was to do with the seawater  

The lead wires are to connect the anode to the main structure.

Google "reactivity of metals". Lead is almost indestructible because it's almost inert. 

If you put lead on a steel structure,  it would effectively reverse the desired effect. The steel would become the anode and perish first.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mushroom said:

The lead wires are to connect the anode to the main structure.

Google "reactivity of metals". Lead is almost indestructible because it's almost inert. 

If you put lead on a steel structure,  it would effectively reverse the desired effect. The steel would become the anode and perish first.

you may well be right maybe the anode  itself   was zinc  .i cant have seen them using a magnizium alloy  50 yrs ago  

7 minutes ago, riohog said:

you may well be right maybe the anode  itself   was zinc  .i cant have seen them using a magnizium alloy  50 yrs ago  

Pretty sure they were using it 40+years ago because of Alpha Piper and other rigs (as I I remember the lesson lol) but 50? I'd have to research it mate, I dont know.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mushroom said:

Pretty sure they were using it 40+years ago because of Alpha Piper and other rigs (as I I remember the lesson lol) but 50? I'd have to research it mate, I dont know.

I know it's a bit longer than 50 years but after the war metal wasn't in short demand as such but other things were and a old scrap yard owner in Kenilworth was a wood merchant and he bought a load of spitfire engines for the packing crates and just chucked the engines down the back of the yard, years went by and wood became more obtainable as such and as wood merchants they were struggling but metal prices had gone up and they weighed in the engines and made enough money to buy a weigh bridge and start a scrap yard...That was a fecking long winded way of saying maybe some metals were in a cheap and easy supply that long ago..:laugh:

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, fireman said:

I know it's a bit longer than 50 years but after the war metal wasn't in short demand as such but other things were and a old scrap yard owner in Kenilworth was a wood merchant and he bought a load of spitfire engines for the packing crates and just chucked the engines down the back of the yard, years went by and wood became more obtainable as such and as wood merchants they were struggling but metal prices had gone up and they weighed in the engines and made enough money to buy a weigh bridge and start a scrap yard...That was a fecking long winded way of saying maybe some metals were in a cheap and easy supply that long ago..:laugh:

Mate I'm 39 and going on what I remember from a lesson 20 years ago ?

To answer Greyman's question; no fuuckin idea the price of scrap magnesium ?

I would advise caution when dealing with it. As a couple others have said... it burns fast and hot and leaves a mark ???

• Haha 1