Had a really lean year on the squirrels so got right excited when the dogs flushed one from cover this morning and got him hiding on the side of a small birch tree just get the catty out and whack him off while he is watching the dogs dancing round the base of the tree and I,m off the mark, but no ,,, first shot elastic goes and for the first time in years never had a reserve catty in my coat as I took a load to my boat ready for the move ?

2556F62A-FE6D-4452-AD48-3C7932F06B7F.jpeg

4B4933F9-EE6D-4931-8E91-277CCCE6CA30.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sadly fire arms and me don’t go together mate, have an odd day out with guns of mates but that’s my lot, find it a bit noisy and restricts moving about as I like to wander were ever the wind blows me and the days of £50 fines and confiscation orders are a long way behind us they tend to get a bit over excited and over react nowadays ??

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Greyman said:

Sadly fire arms and me don’t go together mate, have an odd day out with guns of mates but that’s my lot, find it a bit noisy and restricts moving about as I like to wander were ever the wind blows me and the days of £50 fines and confiscation orders are a long way behind us they tend to get a bit over excited and over react nowadays ??

gave that up long ago mate. any sign of a weapon and do gooders have got the police helicopter and SWAT unit out in no time. now its catty in coat, handline in the summer for a few trout. if things get too hot they can be thrown and replaced ?

• Like 3
12 hours ago, fred90 said:

gave that up long ago mate. any sign of a weapon and do gooders have got the police helicopter and SWAT unit out in no time. now its catty in coat, handline in the summer for a few trout. if things get too hot they can be thrown and replaced ?

Been tempted to have a shift in the wood near me with the air rifle as its absolutely crawling with greys this year years ago it weren't a problem as any nosey do gooders would have to wait till they got home to phone the police not so now days.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, terryd said:

haha yea be tazered or shot dead over a squirrel 

A friend was fishing on a lake in south cerney a few years back and had a bb pistol in his bivy to keep the odd rat at bay during the night, a woman dog walker saw it as she walked past at 6 am while he was still asleep and promptly phoned plod to tell them there was a man with a gun at the lake, which is all they need to press the overreaction button and when he alighted from his sleeping bag at 7am he was covered in little red dots, luckily he never reacted and all was good but a lad got shot and killed by police near me last year with a BB gun after a member of the public saw him waving it about inside his own car so not as funny as you may think if your the one wrongly accused ?

19 minutes ago, Greyman said:

A friend was fishing on a lake in south cerney a few years back and had a bb pistol in his bivy to keep the odd rat at bay during the night, a woman dog walker saw it as she walked past at 6 am while he was still asleep and promptly phoned plod to tell them there was a man with a gun at the lake, which is all they need to press the overreaction button and when he alighted from his sleeping bag at 7am he was covered in little red dots, luckily he never reacted and all was good but a lad got shot and killed by police near me last year with a BB gun after a member of the public saw him waving it about inside his own car so not as funny as you may think if your the one wrongly accused ?

Yea you can't take any chances at all now a days. Made me think as a young lad we had a break in and me uncle set after him with a shotgun. But couldn't load it as he was bit wobbly after some whiskey lol. The coppers were really understanding and rightly were more concerned about finding out who broke in. I doubt it would end the same now a days that is for sure 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tatsblisters said:

Been tempted to have a shift in the wood near me with the air rifle as its absolutely crawling with greys this year years ago it weren't a problem as any nosey do gooders would have to wait till they got home to phone the police not so now days.

it makes me long for the days of long ago. it's certainly not changed for the better mate. 

• Like 2

Years gone by a lad could walk all day with an airgun and just get nodded at .The mobile phone has a lot to answer for as said .

We used to cycle to the local tip ,shoot rats all day with drivers telling us where the most were .Nowadays there are very few rats and no shooting allowed .

Kids are put off field sports at every turn if they want to go it alone as we did .

Never got into catapults but sort of wished I did really .Blackwidow was my only introduction to them but every lad and his dog had one back in the day . 

• Like 5

Yep I walked through village once the lurcher and spade ferrets etc and literally made it to other side before I got pulled as she said some one had reported me. She didn't care and said you know what they are like when they see some one in camo 

• Like 1