Winter solstice

44 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Roger used to have a cider festival every year, drink all you could pig roast and camping all for £25 and his neighbour is actually mick jaggers brother that looks just like mick and has a band so he would be playing a few tunes as well, all ended because people were going down with drums and just filling them up for £25 instead of just drinking all night for free ?now it’s done by invite only ?

That’s right Micks brother Chris lives a a couple of property’s away from the farm it’s a lovely place with great views, when you get talking to Roger his passion for cider is amazing last time I see him I said how you keeping as you do he replied I’ve just been attacked by a Beef lol a bull had pinned him up to a gate and he was nursing a few broken ribs he’s a great character always offers you a drink soon as you step into the barn I will be down soon to stock up as soon as this crap is over. 

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I think religion should be flexible, it can be made to fit you and how you are feeling. Most religions are joined in some way, they merge and mix and evolve. It's a strange habit of man to

Nature is a constant, all being.  Without  her, no life, no people.  That's my belief,  Atb j 

Twelve Nights of Yule Mother Night is the first of the 12 nights of Yule. It starts on December 20th, and the twelfth night is on the 31st, Yule proper. When our ancestors used a lunar calendar,

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

Personally I think religion should be flexible, it can be made to fit you and how you are feeling. Most religions are joined in some way, they merge and mix and evolve. It's a strange habit of man to try to separate it out and put it in boxes of absolute truth. 

To me religion is there to give a little bit of comfort and help us organise the big unanswerable questions in life. It's tradition, it's ritual and habit. Yet the history of humans is one of saying 'I'm right', and to be in my gang to must absolutely believe in xyz, ho and give me some money and you daughter'. 

I'd describe myself of an odinistic heathen. I just like the bits that I like about it. I believe if there is a god then its quite likely there is more than 1. I like the not being meek and timid but. No, you put you and your family first they are the absolute most important thing in life. Then your land, history and people. All this THEN you help others. Sacrifice doesn't mean killing your first born...but when we have a BBQ with family, drinking home made cider and eating venison I do feel a link to bigger things and I take time just to stop and be greatful, maybe pour a bit of homemade cider on my allotment to give a bit back. 

But feeling like that doesn't mean I have to reject Christianity. As kids we sang rousing hymms about green and pleasant lands in assembly and the church spire looked over the village. That's part of us too. Our family were christened there, married then and buried there. Choose and take what gives you peace and comfort. 

Many of our cathedral cities are built in towns where many lay lines cross, where our ancient burial mounds were situated by our forefathers. Enter a large cathedral and you can't help but be inspired, it all has a value. 

I once read an odinist prayer that is read over a new born child. It said something like 'may you feel hatred and love' 'sadness and happiness'. I found that quite true. It's more real, rather than being told not to do things. If I have a god I think he wants me to experience it all, he isn't sat on a cloud calling me a c*nt cos I'm getting pissed and banging different birds as a young man. 

Equally sometimes I think it's possible we are all sat on a giant rock whizzing through space and it's all just chance. But that's quite a sad thought, so I'll start planning my mid winter yuletide/Christmas feast, be greatful for what I have, give thanks and try to be just a bit better person this year. I don't know much but I do know that that truth is as close and good and holy as anything the pope or the dali larma believes....and if any God is sat up there saying I'm so wrong and I'll go to hell for it, then fck him, I did my best. 

IMG_20201222_083426.jpg

So basically most folk are only religious when it suits. ?

1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

Personally I think religion should be flexible, it can be made to fit you and how you are feeling. Most religions are joined in some way, they merge and mix and evolve. It's a strange habit of man to try to separate it out and put it in boxes of absolute truth. 

To me religion is there to give a little bit of comfort and help us organise the big unanswerable questions in life. It's tradition, it's ritual and habit. Yet the history of humans is one of saying 'I'm right', and to be in my gang to must absolutely believe in xyz, ho and give me some money and you daughter'. 

I'd describe myself of an odinistic heathen. I just like the bits that I like about it. I believe if there is a god then its quite likely there is more than 1. I like the not being meek and timid but. No, you put you and your family first they are the absolute most important thing in life. Then your land, history and people. All this THEN you help others. Sacrifice doesn't mean killing your first born...but when we have a BBQ with family, drinking home made cider and eating venison I do feel a link to bigger things and I take time just to stop and be greatful, maybe pour a bit of homemade cider on my allotment to give a bit back. 

But feeling like that doesn't mean I have to reject Christianity. As kids we sang rousing hymms about green and pleasant lands in assembly and the church spire looked over the village. That's part of us too. Our family were christened there, married then and buried there. Choose and take what gives you peace and comfort. 

Many of our cathedral cities are built in towns where many lay lines cross, where our ancient burial mounds were situated by our forefathers. Enter a large cathedral and you can't help but be inspired, it all has a value. 

I once read an odinist prayer that is read over a new born child. It said something like 'may you feel hatred and love' 'sadness and happiness'. I found that quite true. It's more real, rather than being told not to do things. If I have a god I think he wants me to experience it all, he isn't sat on a cloud calling me a c*nt cos I'm getting pissed and banging different birds as a young man. 

Equally sometimes I think it's possible we are all sat on a giant rock whizzing through space and it's all just chance. But that's quite a sad thought, so I'll start planning my mid winter yuletide/Christmas feast, be greatful for what I have, give thanks and try to be just a bit better person this year. I don't know much but I do know that that truth is as close and good and holy as anything the pope or the dali larma believes....and if any God is sat up there saying I'm so wrong and I'll go to hell for it, then fck him, I did my best. 

IMG_20201222_083426.jpg

Extremely well  written, 

Thats excalty how it's for me, I couldn't put into words like you did.

Atvb  j

Alban Arthuan:
The Celtic Origin of Christmas

Many of our Christmas traditions began with the Celtic culture and traditions.
The Yule, the New Year, Hogmany, Christmas, and the Winter Solstice have uniquely blended over time and fit into our Christmas celebrations.

The Celtic festival of Alban Arthuan, held on the Winter Solstice on December 21, was a Druid festival celebrating the re-birth of the sun. It means “Light of Arthur” according to the Arthurian legend.

The Winter Solstice celebrated the return of the Divine Child, the Mabon, the rebirth of the golden solstice Sun, King Arthur was symbolized by the Sun.

The Celts believed this great ritual was needed to revert the course of the sun. The day after the winter solstice, the sun began to move higher into the sky; proof to the Celts it had been reborn.

The return of the Sun was more than just a celebration to the Celts, it was a matter of life or death. The alignment of light at Newgrange, (Brú no Bóinne) a tomb and temple structure in Ireland, has ben interpreted as a ray of light by the Sun God into the womb of Mother Earth to bring about the creation of new life in spring. Other monuments in the British Isles aligned with the winter solstice are the Knowth and Loughcrew in Ireland; the Maes Howe in Orkney, Scotland; the Seven Mile Cursus in Dorset, England; and of course Stonehenge in England.

Another Celtic tradition was the belief in the perpetual battle between the Oak King, the God of waxing light or the Divine Child and the Holly King, the God of the waning light or the Dark Lord. Each year a t the winter solstice the Oak King won the battle and ruled until he was defeated by the Holly King at the time of the summer solstice.

The deities of Alban Arthuan were Dagda and Brighid. The cauldron of Dagda was a symbol for the promise that nature would bear fruit once again and care for all being living on earth. Brighid was the bearer of the flame of inspiration which penetrated the darkness of mind and soul.

The tradition of “Father Christmas” or Santa Claus” also can be traced back to Celtic roots. Santa’s elves a re the modernization of “Nature Folk” or faeries of pagan religions. Even Santa’s reindeer are associated with the “Horned God” one of the Celtic Deities. The “Horn Dance” was performed from All Souls Day (November 2) the Twelfth Night (January 6) in Hopes of bringing in luck for the New Year.

A small bit of "history" if that's the right word, it all ties into each other, and hasn't changed much over a millennia 

Atb j 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

So basically most folk are only religious when it suits. ?

Nope not religious at all, but you would have to be a fool to deny the excistance of Mother Nature and the more we try to control her and move away from her obvious influences the worst off we become until she gives us a rather large reality check and wipes out the incompetents which probably makes up about 70/80 % of the population now, was rather hoping this virus was going to be the start of the great reset rather than a big con but hey ho it will be along when the time is right  ???

• Like 3
Just now, Greyman said:

Nope not religious at all, but you would have to be a fool to deny the excistance of Mother Nature and the more we try to control her and move away from her obvious influences the worst off we become until she gives us a rather large reality check and wipes out the incompetents which probably makes up about 70/80 % of the population now, was rather hoping this virus was going to be the start of the great reset rather than a big con but hey ho it will be along when the time is right  ???

She's been dishing out catastrophes long before the existence of humans though mate. 

Hey I'm no different, I'm not religious really at all but my thoughts soon change in times of need. 

9 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

She's been dishing out catastrophes long before the existence of humans though mate. 

Hey I'm no different, I'm not religious really at all but my thoughts soon change in times of need. 

True that mate but a tsunami on an empty beach is rather less noticeable than when it’s coming through the middle of a built up area, same as a volcano on an uninhabited island, always remember ,,, nature suffers not feast nor famine ,,,  and I think we have all been here before made the same feck ups learned nothing and been wiped out now we we are heading for another huge natural disaster to wipe out the majority of us again  in the hope that the next lot learn to live with nature instead of thinking they can control it ✌️✌️

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Greyman said:

True that mate but a tsunami on an empty beach is rather less noticeable than when it’s coming through the middle of a built up area, same as a volcano on an uninhabited island, always remember ,,, nature suffers not feast nor famine ,,,  and I think we have all been here before made the same feck ups learned nothing and been wiped out now we we are heading for another huge natural disaster to wipe out the majority of us again  in the hope that the next lot learn to live with nature instead of thinking they can control it ✌️✌️

Quite frankly I hope we are wiped out before it's too late, after I'm gone obviously. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

I once read an odinist prayer that is read over a new born child. It said something like 'may you feel hatred and love' 'sadness and happiness'. I found that quite true. 

Just an observation. I agree that such is the course of life and we shall all experience these things. When read over a child though it sounds more like a curse than a desire to try and shake the shackles of our bad side for want of a better expression. The similarities with Paganism and far Eastern religious philosophies are almost inseparable in my opinion. Mother nature, ritual and god's to suit all human emotions and experiences. The evil god's and spirits are venerated just as much as the good which which means that from a human perspective nothing is going to change in the long run cause everything is equal in value to eachother. 

2 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Quite frankly I hope we are wiped out before it's too late, after I'm gone obviously. ?

I’d love to still be here to see it even if it’s the last thing I ever see, if my last meal is a fat politician going round on a spit over my open fire I,ll rattle off a very happy man??

• Haha 3
10 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I’d love to still be here to see it even if it’s the last thing I ever see, if my last meal is a fat politician going round on a spit over my open fire I,ll rattle off a very happy man??

I believe it will happen in the next 50 to a 100 years or so. There will be a reset, it has always been like that, it's just the human race is hurrying it on. 

I'd say at least 50% will be wiped out by some sort of virus or plauge. 

It's mother nature's way of rebalancing the scales 

This is just my thoughts on it

Atb j 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Talking of a natural reset, how many on here honestly think they would survive it, espically with most of us involved in some type of country life and living.

What would you deem to be the best and main essentials need in every day life.

Do you think that ones to survive will have learnt any thing from the past, on what not to do, and live a slimplear life existence, more in tune with nature, to be grateful, respectful and work with her instead of against 

Just for a bit of discussion and craic, nothing to serious. 

Atb j 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jetro said:

Talking of a natural reset, how many on here honestly think they would survive it, espically with most of us involved in some type of country life and living.

Do you think that ones to survive will have learnt any thing from the past, on what not to do, and live a slimplear life existence, more in tune with nature, to be grateful, respectful and work with her instead of against 

Just for a bit of discussion 

Atb j 

Start a new thread Jethro, could be interesting ? going by the mad rush for toilet paper when covid hit, I imagine the competition would be slim 

Edited by Dougieboy
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, jetro said:

Just for a bit of discussion and craic, nothing to serious. 

Atb j 

A couple of good dogs a sea worthy boat, bit of fishing gear a handful of catapults and I,m ready for whatever is coming,??have read in the past that if society ever breaks down completely around 90% would have killed each other or died in the mayhem within the first fortnight, so as long as you have somewhere to go and survive the first month things will slowly improve and you can come out of hiding and maybe start rebuilding with others that have done the same, not that I’ve put much thought into it mind ??

• Like 3