Pups

So what do folks think, are the prices going to come back down to something sensible?

Im looking to take a pup on now but am I f**k paying 2k for a total shot in the dark. It’s looking like a mates bitch ain’t in pup which has left me in a bit of a dilemma...

Ive a mind to see what rejects pop up in the 6-12 month age range but at the moment they seem to be wanting their money back so hardly worth the chance imo.

Turned this thing down six months ago and knew I’d regret it!

07CAD4A8-7133-46EE-B5B0-6D55F995D621.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

It’s really bad at the moment, even over in Ireland where a springer bred by decent stuff would be €400 at the most, now a grand plus. 
I had a fella come to me asking about my pups, he said if they are going for small money he’ll take the whole litter. He must think I’m stupid or he doesn’t really care what I think of him. 
So you have the predicament of 99% of people pricing way too high and then you have the fella that will sell at a normal price. Maybe for the pups to be sold again. Then the person selling at a normal price starts to think if everyone else is sell at huge prices why shouldn’t I put my prices up???? 
I hope that the prices come back down. 
I wouldn’t touch a secondhand dog, if your standards are high to begin with. 

If a person thinks  If everyone else is charging big money then so should i then that person doesn’t take much to change their mind ! That person should stick to their own morals not someone else’s. If a person can change that easily then maybe money was at the forefront of breeding anyway ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wideboy said:

It’s really bad at the moment, even over in Ireland where a springer bred by decent stuff would be €400 at the most, now a grand plus. 
I had a fella come to me asking about my pups, he said if they are going for small money he’ll take the whole litter. He must think I’m stupid or he doesn’t really care what I think of him. 
So you have the predicament of 99% of people pricing way too high and then you have the fella that will sell at a normal price. Maybe for the pups to be sold again. Then the person selling at a normal price starts to think if everyone else is sell at huge prices why shouldn’t I put my prices up???? 
I hope that the prices come back down. 
I wouldn’t touch a secondhand dog, if your standards are high to begin with. 

They cost what they cost but I have zero faith that any of the litters on the ground now have much thought behind them. Everyone is cashing in, some to the tune of 15k+ a litter! If a fella has taken a litter out of his bitch and actually wants to prioritise working homes for them then they ain't likely to be asking 2-3k a pup imo. Doesn't mean the pups that are a fortune are shit, I don't blame dogmen/keepers cashing in, I just want to know what I'm re-mortgaging the house for! :laugh:

I only really wanted dogs in kennels for an easy life but this utter insanity has me looking for a bitch pup now tbh. If I'm to pay these prices then I only want to have to do it once.

I'd happily take on an older pup, so long as it hasn't seen owt and looks a stamp. Plenty of pet homes will have taken on a working bred dog only to find it's a f***ing nightmare. If I like the dog then a bit of kennel life and some rules would soon change that. But that's 'free to a good home' in normal times, right now they want their money back, lol.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

My personal experiences of the gundog fraternity is nothing comes cheap anyways

Definitely not. Coming from the world of the very best terriers where pups and studs are only ever given free of charge it was quite a shock when I purchased my first gundog !!

• Like 1

I’m looking for another lab as my pup looks like her working life is over before it began ! Whilst I found one litter that were the ideal breeding, and at a sensible price, I won’t be paying the sort of prices asked and will wait and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

there is no guarantees with pups regardless of breeding and price , ,yes you have a better chance with long term good stock  ,.yes i was out of touch with prices   these days  ,but in the past ive had lurchers  for 50 quid  , think them times have gone im afraid   gun dogs  different job alltogether  i would think 2k  wouldnt be out of the way 

Well I've put the word about had some offers of planned breedings from decent bitches but not really what I was after, then yesterday a mate phoned to tell me he had exactly what I was after and the bitch should be dropping them over xmas. So I'm much happier now.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

My uncle didn't pay much for his bitch I don't think. 

You should be able to drop on a working type for under £500 down your way? 

FB_IMG_1608200076508.jpg

Mine will be gifted but 500 would be generous mates rates at the moment. Any old piece of shit is selling for 1500.

• Like 1
Just now, Greb147 said:

Is that what lads of working stock are selling them for as well? 

Put it this way, I was offered a pup off a decent bitch I have shot over and beat with for about 3-4 seasons and the lad still wanted 800......... reduced from 2k. A pup from a litter of red labs a mates father bred from a bitch who a keeper mate spoke very highly of was sold to 'almost' family for 1200! Again that was a massive reduction. No one is advertising working pups for 500 mate, no one. Even useless shit is advertised at 1500.