remember those who gave all..

Went on the 'battlefield tour' with my old man in 2012. Being at the menin gate while the last post is performed is something I can't put into words.

The feeling, after two days of cold and damp, visiting cemetaries, mememorials and museums, walking through parts of the actual trenches, reading letters and notes etc to family and loved ones, that the troops didn't get chance to send off, and then listening to the last post, is something that will stay with me forever.

If someone hasn't been, I would suggest you do. Until you've seen what they had to endure, you really can't begin to appreciate how deperately bad things must've been for all those involved.

• Like 2

Indescribable horrific conditions for sure ,years of death and suffering ,and yet as a youngster there were still plenty of veterans of ww1 about ,I can't remember one of them ever moaning about it ,my grandad was badly wounded on the Somme but he kept us entertained for hours with funny stories ,he even made getting shot sound funny ! Some of the old  boys about were decorated heroes yet I never heard any of them brag .Every time some prick sneers at the term ' for queen and country ' I think about these men and can't help feeling unworthy of them ,God bless them all .

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Astanley said:

Indescribable horrific conditions for sure ,years of death and suffering ,and yet as a youngster there were still plenty of veterans of ww1 about ,I can't remember one of them ever moaning about it ,my grandad was badly wounded on the Somme but he kept us entertained for hours with funny stories ,he even made getting shot sound funny ! Some of the old  boys about were decorated heroes yet I never heard any of them brag .Every time some prick sneers at the term ' for queen and country ' I think about these men and can't help feeling unworthy of them ,God bless them all .

Good post Stan

• Like 1