Disgusted!

6 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Goose shooting must be fantastic up there , is it not ? 

It's all Canadas an grey laggs, there's millions it gets really monotonous honestly, you really can't make a dent and the .308 is a bit overkill ? 

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a great laugh guys ? Now if I may....alls looking good with the rifle. I tested it yesterday and its impressive to say the least. Just  need a fox to blood it proper. It seems to like t

I was actually being funny when I said ".308 is a bit overkill" ? I only have .22lr, .17HMR and the .308 win, Each serves its purpose, the .22 just bounce off, the .17 ya need to shoot em up the

As you all know I am very impressed with my cz457 22. So much so I got one in 17hmr just last night. As it was dark I was unable to bore sight it last night but I was very conscious about  the barrel

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Gav said:

It's all Canadas an grey laggs, there's millions it gets really monotonous honestly, you really can't make a dent and the .308 is a bit overkill ? 

Think I could live with the monotony,  nothing better than to hear the music of geese ?

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Gav said:

Why not just a shotty? Running the .308 must cost a fortune. You could buy a hide for less than a couple of days shooting .308 against flocks of birds. The noise will also tend to scare them and maybe make the land less attractive.

If not maybe a .22 or .17 if you need more range than a shotty. I'm sure you'd take more with a quiet gun as you could pick off the outer birds un-noticed. Although the .22LR is the quiet one, if you need the range a small .17 is going to be not too noisy at greater range. HMR springs to mind or if you need more range then one of the Hornets. .17 hornet should be good for at least 250yd against a bird. I've seen videos of foxes taken cleanly at 250-300 with .17 hornet, although I think that's at the upper limits and pushing error margins.It's certainly going to take a goose though.

Edited by Alsone
38 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Looks like a really wild environment Gav . I could see myself living up there , away from everything and everyone . I’m envious.

Yep can't think of anything better than being away from everyone , sounds like heaven ?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Alsone said:

Why not just a shotty? Running the .308 must cost a fortune. You could buy a hide for less than a couple of days shooting .308 against flocks of birds. The noise will also tend to scare them and maybe make the land less attractive.

If not maybe a .22 or .17 if you need more range than a shotty. I'm sure you'd take more with a quiet gun as you could pick off the outer birds un-noticed. Although the .22LR is the quiet one, if you need the range a small .17 is going to be not too noisy at greater range. HMR springs to mind or if you need more range then one of the Hornets. .17 hornet should be good for at least 250yd against a bird. I've seen videos of foxes taken cleanly at 250-300 with .17 hornet, although I think that's at the upper limits and pushing error margins.It's certainly going to take a goose though.

I don't think you understand  that environment  really.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Alsone said:

I was actually being funny when I said ".308 is a bit overkill" ?

I only have .22lr, .17HMR and the .308 win, Each serves its purpose, the .22 just bounce off, the .17 ya need to shoot em up the arse, or against feather growth, I really just can't be arsed with geese, and theres a few hoops to jump to get on the scheme for the cull here too, honestly I have taken them before and just rip the breasts off, I have tryed seasoning them with alsorts and with good quality pork fat, and everyone that I try to get to taste them pull faces like I have force fed them a dog turd. I mean if I was hungry enough I would, but I can eat/fill the freezers with better stuff, so short of it is I just can't be arsed with em ? 

When I do get chance to get out I'm after bigger better stuff!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
43 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Do you stalk red deer too ?

Hell yeah ? my favourite quarry, 56,000 acres is a lot to cover though so I'm not the only one

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Gav said:

I was actually being funny when I said ".308 is a bit overkill" ?

I only have .22lr, .17HMR and the .308 win, Each serves its purpose, the .22 just bounce off, the .17 ya need to shoot em up the arse, or against feather growth, I really just can't be arsed with geese, and theres a few hoops to jump to get on the scheme for the cull here too, honestly I have taken them before and just rip the breasts off, I have tryed seasoning them with alsorts and with good quality pork fat, and everyone that I try to get to taste them pull faces like I have force fed them a dog turd. I mean if I was hungry enough I would, but I can eat/fill the freezers with better stuff, so short of it is I just can't be arsed with em ? 

When I do get chance to get out I'm after bigger better stuff!

With you 100% on that Gav...

sliced up a graylag other day for me and the lad, had a stew with one other week which wasn’t to bad but tried frying strips for fajitas... it was sh1te told lad to stop eating it just in case he choked to death it was that tough??

11A1A632-7612-4B43-AC29-C83C8C0E0D94.jpeg.2cf1b047f8a6867f7988c5c74ff0ec9e.jpeg

Me mate phones other day do I want to come goose shooting?

Na ya allreet?

• Haha 5