What If Rabbits Could Kill You?

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

So you feed a sub standard collie( the epitome of working dogs) the exact same food it would take to feed a real good one that could help around the place?? See why I saying tho??

i was same way, was my way or high way, t rid of terrier in end an was between lurchers an my lad got a wee Plummer, was bred well but never gonna be the best at anything but try everything, we had some serious fun with this wee dog. /‘ it made me remember the fun I had before the dig game become so serious, the dogs that got you into dogs an have you the first taste an buzz of this life wasn’t bred to the max or the best ever was it? Well now iv gonna back to the halfx’s I started out with an still having the same fun, might not the be best a bout but she already ticking lots of boxes am going the right way an I’m enjoying getting out with her as much as I did with the best lurcher I ever had to date, it easy to get hung up on results an forget why we all started doing what we do?

I get you mate.

I could see me enjoying a well bred collie and having a bash at training it, but again I dont really have enough work to keep it happy.

4 minutes ago, socks said:

I will tell you something now. A perfectionist will never find perfection ......

Thats true mate and as I said my last proper dog was far from perfect but I really liked him and he was my pal.

However, one thing has f**k all to do with the other and the fact I liked that dog and put up with all his faults shouldn’t cloud my judgement when talking about these things.

Bottom line is, if you want a dog to kill things then you have to breed from something that kills things and you want something that is killing a range of things without mercy......that’s just common sense imho.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't pull the trigger on a bear or lion or any big cat.to be honest.unless my life depended on it.

The mighty rat scarer ! Lol 

I will tell you something now. A perfectionist will never find perfection ......

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, WILF said:

I get you mate.

I could see me enjoying a well bred collie and having a bash at training it, but again I dont really have enough work to keep it happy.

Thats true mate and as I said my last proper dog was far from perfect but I really liked him and he was my pal.

However, one thing has f**k all to do with the other and the fact I liked that dog and put up with all his faults shouldn’t cloud my judgement when talking about these things.

Bottom line is, if you want a dog to kill things then you have to breed from something that kills things and you want something that is killing a range of things without mercy......that’s just common sense imho.

The black bitch I have here now is brutal ... she is single minded in her effort to kill whatever she is pointed at ... she will go through a brick wall barb wire or another dog that gets in her way to make the kill ... to be honest she has very few faults and is a pleasure to own. She is coming up on 6 and if I breed her I will probably be doing her a disservice as would put a straight collie over her. Reason being is at this moment in my life she is a liability to me .......

• Like 2

As I happens I have a decent little example of what I mean, my little lad is autistic so I got him a pet.

Saw a litter of mongrel whippet x labs advertised, accidental mating and all that.

They were €30 each and I thought ideal, that will be an article and that’s exactly right....he just wants something kind and cuddly.

I watched the dog chase and corner a rat the other day, he sniffed at the cornered rat and it bit him on the nose and the dog ran away !

Now some people would enjoy watching their dog chase squirrels and rats and maybe the odd rabbit......but would this dog warrant putting over a bitch ?

Should I be on here saying “yeah, I own a lurcher” ?........

I don’t think so........because I don’t, I have a mongrel that chases things.

6 minutes ago, socks said:

The black bitch I have here now is brutal ... she is single minded in her effort to kill whatever she is pointed at ... she will go through a brick wall barb wire or another dog that gets in her way to make the kill ... to be honest she has very few faults and is a pleasure to own. She is coming up on 6 and if I breed her I will probably be doing her a disservice as would put a straight collie over her. Reason being is at this moment in my life she is a liability to me .......

But what a nice liability though mate huh ? ;) 

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

As I happens I have a decent little example of what I mean, my little lad is autistic so I got him a pet.

Saw a litter of mongrel whippet x labs advertised, accidental mating and all that.

They were €30 each and I thought ideal, that will be an article and that’s exactly right....he just wants something kind and cuddly.

I watched the dog chase and corner a rat the other day, he sniffed at the cornered rat and it bit him on the nose and the dog ran away !

Now some people would enjoy watching their dog chase squirrels and rats and maybe the odd rabbit......but would this dog warrant putting over a bitch ?

Should I be on here saying “yeah, I own a lurcher” ?........

I don’t think so........because I don’t, I have a mongrel that chases things.

I hope you stamped on the rat mate.if you left that rat runaway then i will be disappointed.

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

He tried, but it bit him too and he ran off!

Its running the joint now. :laugh:

Well he is so late replying I thought he had gone out the shed stamping around under candle light looking for ratty..

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

He tried, but it bit him too and he ran off!

Its running the joint now. :laugh:

I couldn’t reply, I have been sat outside all night.....the rat just let me in for a cup of tea ! ? 

Edited by WILF
  • Haha 3
12 hours ago, WILF said:

I have seen two (What I consider) good dogs and never owned any (other than a little terrier who’s heart was in the wrong size body) 

One was a dog called Paddy, a Wheaton greyhound and one was a dog called Tigger.

I have travelled widely but been very selective about who with so I can’t claim any experience whatsoever of what dogs are out there mate.....there could be thousands of outstanding dogs for all I know, but I doubt it.

But if it’s breeding stock we are talking about then something with a sickening level of barbarity and bottle would be the foundation to go to imho, not old Shep who takes rabbits like a good un but draws the line at big brutal bits of kit.

But hey, that’s just me......what the f**k do I know about it ?

Just to add, point is most people are in no position to own the go to dog, they have kids and live stock and not enough graft to keep it satisfied.....most people just CANT own it 

The full on canine need not be bad with kids or livestock ,in fact its got a serious screw loose if it is and should be pts .
Some people wondered why I bred exclusively to the old Razor dog even though he was a right c**t with other dogs .The reason was he had no equal in my eyes when it mattered underground .With people he was a softy ,just rolled over but put my boots on and he’d chew a brick wall to be with me .

Foundation is everything your right but unfortunately in this climate ,dogs will never see the work needed to set aside greats for breeding ,the drive I saw in lads years gone by has diminished I’d say too .

The era of great dogs has come and gone as more and more get out the game .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, WILF said:

Because I don’t have the ability to breed myself into a professional footballer, chef, fighter pilot or anything else......however I do have that option with animals.

I like that. Your talking a fair bit of sense wilf theres alot of people want a sensible pet that chases things.

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

The full on canine need not be bad with kids or livestock ,in fact its got a serious screw loose if it is and should be pts .
Some people wondered why I bred exclusively to the old Razor dog even though he was a right c**t with other dogs .The reason was he had no equal in my eyes when it mattered underground .With people he was a softy ,just rolled over but put my boots on and he’d chew a brick wall to be with me .

Foundation is everything your right but unfortunately in this climate ,dogs will never see the work needed to set aside greats for breeding ,the drive I saw in lads years gone by has diminished I’d say too .

The era of great dogs has come and gone as more and more get out the game .

Good post that FD, I reckon there is still a few lads really chucking it at dogs to see what they are made of but I would think they are like hens teeth.

Its all too much like hard work and as Stiffmiester said who wants to be crawling up the motorway at stupid o clock in the morning and burning through diesel when the chances are you have an article in the back.

I had a dog (and following on from what Blackmag said about the owner failing the dog) that I put a massive amount of graft in front of one season.

At a guess I was easily doing a thousand miles a week on average, I took that dog all over England, upto Scotland, down to Wales and threw so much kit in front of it that’s it’s just not true.

It singularly failed at everything, I mean you could do things with it that I’m sure many lads would be happy with like it would hunt fox on it’s own and kill them.

It only needed a flash of eyes and you could switch off the lamp and away it would go.

It was very well trained and would do all the blind stays, even amongst thousands of people and dogs at country shows and things like that.

It killed the odd thing but compared to what I put in front of it, Nope.....and some things it wouldn’t tackle at all.

Some lads asked to buy the dog when they knew I was going to put it down but I was never going to be doing that.

Some dogs just don’t have it and no amount of throwing time and effort into the animal will ever put in what nature left out.

• Like 1

Think alot of people keep a lurcher as a type of pet wich is fine but the trouble starts is when they talk like they dont keep pets. Ive got a terrier here thats like our pet if he jacked on something tomorrow id probably still keep the dog whereas the lurchers have only got to be killing in next fields for me to start doubting them and thinking do they want it ect. Sometimes its maybe asking abit too much but lurchers are alot off aggro i put alot of effort in if im doing that i want to own something atleast omce that i can say yeah good animal.

• Like 1