Plastic drains

Ive seen intricately made artificials built with loads of thought put into them regarding location/direction they faced that have never held and then Ive seen short straight through pipes under tracks between ditches that lay wet that you could regularly get a fox from.Strange where an old fox will choose to lay up

• Like 2

The most successful pipes I've had foxes from on a regular basis are all straight pipes ! 

The best by far was at the bottom of a slight bank,  it was a number of drains that lay side by side so obviously over the years the farmer had relayed drains instead of repairing the old ones. Each drain pipe was a different type,  there was a square cast steel pipe, a brick half round pipe, a steel round pipe and  clay round pipe.  Over the years somehow each pipe either was broken through ploughing or digging,  so the fox could swap from one pipe to the other.  It took a few years of doing that particular pipe before I realised what was going on. 

Some wanker who worked on that farm come slaughter house ended up digging the lot out with a machine  ☹

I had dozens of foxes from there over many years,  the strange thing about this pipe was it had only one entrance,  the other end was under water in a small puddle about 3ft wide. As the fox bolted (if it bolted from the water end) the level of the water would rise and you knew Instantly you had a split second before the fox would appear.  I bolted one once and my cousin shouted to me that the "dogs still baying" , I told him it was because he wouldn't go through the water, I was busy trying to get a young lurcher onto the bolted fox. Within a few seconds there was another four out and the lurcher took NONE of them  ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

If you see a big steel electric pylon that goes over a ditch or hedgerow it'll have a pipe underneath it and they can hold some good numbers of foxes, iv'e had many a good run out of them and will always check under the pylons if i see one..

4 hours ago, dillydog said:

The most successful pipes I've had foxes from on a regular basis are all straight pipes ! 

The best by far was at the bottom of a slight bank,  it was a number of drains that lay side by side so obviously over the years the farmer had relayed drains instead of repairing the old ones. Each drain pipe was a different type,  there was a square cast steel pipe, a brick half round pipe, a steel round pipe and  clay round pipe.  Over the years somehow each pipe either was broken through ploughing or digging,  so the fox could swap from one pipe to the other.  It took a few years of doing that particular pipe before I realised what was going on. 

Some wanker who worked on that farm come slaughter house ended up digging the lot out with a machine  ☹

I had dozens of foxes from there over many years,  the strange thing about this pipe was it had only one entrance,  the other end was under water in a small puddle about 3ft wide. As the fox bolted (if it bolted from the water end) the level of the water would rise and you knew Instantly you had a split second before the fox would appear.  I bolted one once and my cousin shouted to me that the "dogs still baying" , I told him it was because he wouldn't go through the water, I was busy trying to get a young lurcher onto the bolted fox. Within a few seconds there was another four out and the lurcher took NONE of them  ?

Same thing happened to me once, Went to check an earth and there was an ole local fella standing at it waiting for his hound to come out after marking it, 10 minutes later the hound reverses out and the ole fella sticks a lead on it and says there's definitely one in there make sure you get it I'm away to look for another hunt, terrier was dropped and within seconds a fox is out and the lurcher was slipped and about 10 seconds after that another 3 bolts like a string of fecking sausages one behind each other and not 1 got caught. Lol. 

• Haha 2
On 08/10/2020 at 18:12, dogmandont said:

Same thing happened to me once, Went to check an earth and there was an ole local fella standing at it waiting for his hound to come out after marking it, 10 minutes later the hound reverses out and the ole fella sticks a lead on it and says there's definitely one in there make sure you get it I'm away to look for another hunt, terrier was dropped and within seconds a fox is out and the lurcher was slipped and about 10 seconds after that another 3 bolts like a string of fecking sausages one behind each other and not 1 got caught. Lol. 

Thats one of those days that you go through and through for about 2 weeks in your head after and are still none the wiser as to wtf happened lol,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Thats one of those days that you go through and through for about 2 weeks in your head after and are still none the wiser as to wtf happened lol,

If the ole timer had of stayed about and witnessed it I'd never of lived it down. Lol. 

We'd never had a bolt outta that earth although we have had since the lurcher that was there was the best fox dog I've ever owned and the terrier was never interested in making em bolt lol, so aye it was definitely a head scratcher. Lol. 

• Like 1