Saluki blood

3 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Just look at the types used in India like the rajapolayam or rampur hound or caravan hound ? All come from northern India and used by these tribes  for hundreds if not thousands of yrs .these tribes migrated all over Europe and would have taken hunting dogs with them .

I do see your point but those dogs aren't salukis. I suppose they may be common ancestors with more modern salukis but IMHO salukis didn't really have much influence on the modern lurcher until the mid 1900's.

• Like 2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my thoughts are that saluki blooded dogs as the working class sportsman has come to know them would be the 1960s and   from then the development of coursing lurchers.

yeh ok clever cnut

Julius ceasar and William the conqueror used go coursing together    FACT

Posted Images

10 hours ago, sandymere said:

I'd expect so but the odd one isn't going to have much of an impact when the average roman soldiers wouldn't have the ability to take dogs on their travels so would likely have used local dogs in the area they were based. 

10 hours ago, sandymere said:

I'd expect so but the odd one isn't going to have much of an impact when the average roman soldiers wouldn't have the ability to take dogs on their travels so would likely have used local dogs in the area they were based. 

yeh ok clever cnut

• Haha 4
31 minutes ago, two crows said:

yeh ok clever cnut

Not clever just use a bit of common sense, much as the modern army the average joe based in a far off land doesn't have much opportunity bring a dog on a campaign, even once settled the legionnaires slept in bunks 8 to a room although they would have had relationships even families in the nearest town with locals where keeping a dog would be a possibility.

The officers likely would have a more favourable life ang might have brought dogs from their home lands, those in Europe were pretty much based there from their creation for the campaigns, so other than the Spanish most were roman citizens who came from Rome and it environs to Europe and would have little opportunity to find a saluki. If it was different we would see the results in the genetic makeup of greyhounds much as we can see the Sloughi  in Galgos from the Moorish invasion of Spain.

58 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Not clever just use a bit of common sense, much as the modern army the average joe based in a far off land doesn't have much opportunity bring a dog on a campaign, even once settled the legionnaires slept in bunks 8 to a room although they would have had relationships even families in the nearest town with locals where keeping a dog would be a possibility.

The officers likely would have a more favourable life ang might have brought dogs from their home lands, those in Europe were pretty much based there from their creation for the campaigns, so other than the Spanish most were roman citizens who came from Rome and it environs to Europe and would have little opportunity to find a saluki. If it was different we would see the results in the genetic makeup of greyhounds much as we can see the Sloughi  in Galgos from the Moorish invasion of Spain.

I never said I was a soldier just a roman lol, and we know there would not be many, the question was when did they reach the uk, its all speculation, would dna still show up 2000 years on

1 hour ago, two crows said:

would dna still show up 2000 years on

Yes, romans here in force until 410 Ad and a strong presence for a fair while, Moors in Spain 700 so not long after, both spent a fair time occupying to the territories. Due to the influx of north African dogs the galgo has genetic links to Sloughi's whereas the greyhound has no links  to any of the ancient middle east/Mediterranean breeds, it's pretty unique other than some links to some of the northern breeds  from Poland etc which is likely a modern infusion. The Iberian Celts where famed for their coursing dogs as described by the Greek writer Arrian of the Roman period and we had the Spanish legion based in the UK then Germany so the most likely influx would have been from Spain but there is no trace of genetic material from galgos in the modern greyhound either. It would appear the modern greyhound is unique in its uniqueness. Most likely, other than the odd random over the centuries, the saluki is a modern player in the British coursing scene, well modern to one of my years.

In all likelihood prior to modern coursing with driven hares over prepared running ground, park coursing and then racing there would have been no need for a dash of salukis as the greyhound of the day would have had more stamina and better feet but these were lost with the changes mentioned till we have a racing machine rather than the coursing hound of the past. 

Edited by sandymere
52 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Yes, romans here in force until 410 Ad and a strong presence for a fair while, Moors in Spain 700 so not long after, both spent a fair time occupying to the territories. Due to the influx of north African dogs the galgo has genetic links to Sloughi's whereas the greyhound has no links  to any of the ancient middle east/Mediterranean breeds, it's pretty unique other than some links to some of the northern breeds  from Poland etc which is likely a modern infusion. The Iberian Celts where famed for their coursing dogs as described by the Greek writer Arrian of the Roman period and we had the Spanish legion based in the UK then Germany so the most likely influx would have been from Spain but there is no trace of genetic material from galgos in the modern greyhound either. It would appear the modern greyhound is unique in its uniqueness. Most likely, other than the odd random over the centuries, the saluki is a modern player in the British coursing scene, well modern to one of my years.

In all likelihood prior to modern coursing with driven hares over prepared running ground, park coursing and then racing there would have been no need for a dash of salukis as the greyhound of the day would have had more stamina and better feet but these were lost with the changes mentioned till we have a racing machine rather than the coursing hound of the past. 

whats in the greyhound then

36 minutes ago, two crows said:

whats in the greyhound then

It is thought to have been developed from a Collie type

http://sloughi.tripod.com/preserving/geneticswesterbredsighthoundsgermany.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3559126/

the Scottish Deerhound is a bit of an anomaly. 

Edited by sandymere
3 hours ago, TOMO said:

I'm pretty sure romans had dogs ...you only have to watch Gladiator ...Maximus had an alsation looking thing...theres ya proof....

Did you know that was also "Well'ard", the alsation that was in Eastenders ?

Good actor......for a dog ! 

Cheers.