6 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I rarely use the phrase world class as a player for me has to be totally and utterly capable of being at ease against any opposition or occasion to merit it . 

i think we’ve had a dearth of English born talent who are capable of doing this .the last probable world class star we had were probably Ashley Cole and a young wayne Rooney. 

rooney was sensational when he broke through , look at how he played for England and to think how he slid away is galling to think about . 

Now to think that the maintainence  of that standard has been done by a handful of players around the world in the last few years  

messi , Ronaldo, aguerro , zlatan maybe ? Klose, Suarez . 

I don’t rate mbappe or neymar at all , purely as I don’t see them being as consistent 

De bruyne has to be in there lendowski is another stiff both have been consistent throughout there carreers and have shown it this last season 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No I wouldn’t be able to hold a sports conversation apart from boxing, fishing or hunting  but the rest of it is mental, dogs chase balls not people and you are worshipping people who are massively ov

His dad nicked me when i was young we got chatting about footie he said  " yeah my boy plays for Millwall "...... " well he wont be going nowhere in the game then " i says ☺️

To top it off he wasn't sleeping wearing oxygen masks and getting iced baths, after a match he was snorting an ounce of coke off women's piss flaps. ?

Posted Images

On 30/08/2020 at 23:17, Blackmag said:

Or shearer highest prem scorer imagine if he kept injury free the record he would of had for rovers or the toon 

Could say that about a few players though to be fair pal as well , Michael Owen was unreal At Liverpool , lost form After his transfer and was never the same after injuries 

but I believe if he’d been at United rather than Liverpool he’d have broken shearers record 

4 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Could say that about a few players though to be fair pal as well , Michael Owen was unreal At Liverpool , lost form After his transfer and was never the same after injuries 

but I believe if he’d been at United rather than Liverpool he’d have broken shearers record 

You could say the same stiff if shearer signed for Utd instead of rovers which was close but Blackburn winning the title I almost feel for the dingles ? 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

You could say the same stiff if shearer signed for Utd instead of rovers which was close but Blackburn winning the title I almost feel for the dingles ? 

Nope you can’t. 
 Michael Owen was absolutely hammered at Liverpool as he was emerging. The start he got off to definitely caught up on him in later career and he went downhill rapid from his prime . 

the man was one of the only players ever who Truly terrified the opposition. 

look at that goal against Argentina , you don’t realise they were playing two defenders 30 yards deeper than the rest in nail he goes past them and buries it . The boy was like a f***ing great white 

terrifying 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Liverpool played Owen to death because they had f**k all else in the locker.....I think genetic inheritance played a big part too, he was high risk to the injuries he had and I believe his dad had the same problems.

• Like 2
On 04/09/2020 at 22:33, WILF said:

Was you at the game against Arsenal when Henry got a round of applause mate ?......I think they beat us 3-1 or 3-0 or something and he scored a hatrick.....he was completely unplayable that day.

Probably i cant remember mate......selective memory i suppose ?......same sort of thing though on his day its just give him the ball and let him crack on.

• Like 1
On 04/09/2020 at 23:30, Blackmag said:

The Messi. Ronaldo argument will go on but I agree scholes is possibly the best midfielder we have had in years the midfield we had was one of the best in the world lampard scholes gerrard Beckham but we didn't use them 

I think its great to live in a time when we can have that kind of argument im not sure Pele had a rival in his era or Maradona in his ( Stiff will probably correct me he seems to know his players ? ) i think Messi and Ronaldo are the 2 greatest players of all time and Ronaldo just pips it for me.....Scholes i was never sold on him great vision and ability yes but i preferred Gerrard if im honest ?

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1
On 05/09/2020 at 00:12, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Nope you can’t. 
 Michael Owen was absolutely hammered at Liverpool as he was emerging. The start he got off to definitely caught up on him in later career and he went downhill rapid from his prime . 

the man was one of the only players ever who Truly terrified the opposition. 

look at that goal against Argentina , you don’t realise they were playing two defenders 30 yards deeper than the rest in nail he goes past them and buries it . The boy was like a f***ing great white 

terrifying 

Who would be your all time best England striker Stiff ?.....Wilf ?....anyone ?

51 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Who would be your all time best England striker Stiff ?.....Wilf ?....anyone ?

I can only speak for who I’ve seen Nash or vaguely remember . 

for me the best player for England I saw regularly was David platt. He played at a greater level than most and he carried England for a period imho but not strictly a striker so he can’t be counted. 

rooney was a phenomenon when he cane on the scene as he was raw and unforgiving. But he was poor imho on the biggest of stages . 

shearer was fantastic obviously and never hid in big games 

for me though Owen . He was so direct and selfish and put the fear of god into opponents with his pace . Look at some of his goals where he’s hustling around the 40 yard area and look how defenders react in possession . We’ve never had that type of player imho who could steal a pass and just burn people off. 

there’s a strange sadness in England’s last 25 years in how great players have never performed in the shirt for various reasons . Fowler never really got a fair run and was always disinterested for England indeed one of the bricks koppites throw at Michael Owen was that  He was always more interested in being Michael Owen of England rather than of Liverpool. 

to go off on a tangent that I mentioned earlier as well. One of my fave players ever is the midfielder , Scotsman Paul lambert. He was a fantastic player and hugely overlooked . In 97 he out fought Roy Keane and outplayed Zidane in personal battles to drive Dortmund to champions league glory . 

what a shame he was born an hour north of Carlisle , as if he’d been partnered with Gascogne and Latterly scholes for England I believe we would have done something major around that era of 96 onwards . 

the likes of batty we’re playing a pantomime role compared to his a list act. 

but it is what it is 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

for me the best player for England I saw regularly was David platt. He played at a greater level than most and he carried England for a period imho but not strictly a striker so he can’t be counted. 

rooney was a phenomenon when he cane on the scene as he was raw and unforgiving. But he was poor imho on the biggest of stages . 

for me though Owen . He was so direct and selfish and put the fear of god into opponents with his pace . Look at some of his goals where he’s hustling around the 40 yard area and look how defenders react in possession . We’ve never had that type of player imho who could steal a pass and just burn people off. 

there’s a strange sadness in England’s last 25 years in how great players have never performed in the shirt for various reasons . Fowler never really got a fair run and was always disinterested for England indeed one of the bricks koppites throw at Michael Owen was that  He was always more interested in being Michael Owen of England rather than of Liverpool. 

to go off on a tangent that I mentioned earlier as well. One of my fave players ever is the midfielder , Scotsman Paul lambert. He was a fantastic player and hugely overlooked . In 97 he out fought Roy Keane and outplayed Zidane in personal battles to drive Dortmund to champions league glory . 

what a shame he was born an hour north of Carlisle , as if he’d been partnered with Gascogne and Latterly scholes for England I believe we would have done something major around that era of 96 onwards . 

but it is what it is 

When you look at the strikers England had that really never got  a decent run in the team for what ever reason  that would of been first choices in Scotland Wales Ireland team cole le tiss sutton collymore Fowler even bull 4 goals in 12 games  just to name a few 

38 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

but it is what it is 

Interesting......as an outright goal poacher ( purely in an England shirt i meant ) i always booked Shearer as tops i liked his aggression and desire to simply score a goal he must of been a nightmare to play against im told even in training he was avoided and just couldnt play the game without growling...i like that kind of intensity in any sportsman maybe thats something lads like Owen and Fowler lacked ?.......Ian Wright was another who had that lovely passion and desire to do well that all fans love to see.....Lineker i could never make my mind up about i booked him half an iron after Mexico 86 carrying his little arm about like a fairy but i might just be prejudiced.

I wonder will Harry Kane be spoken of in these types of conversations in years to come he certainly has a lot of tools.

Mind you saying that im forgetting a local hero... i barely remember him and only caught the very back end of his career but the olduns from these parts rave about Jimmy Greaves as a goal poacher

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2

Alan Shearer was a striker of his time in an era of big powerful strikers and big powerful defenders.

I wouldn’t have watched England as much as some because I just couldn’t watch them regularly as I have spoken about before.....you lads would have watched them much more than me.

7 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Interesting......as an outright goal poacher ( purely in an England shirt i meant ) i always booked Shearer as tops i liked his aggression and desire to simply score a goal he must of been a nightmare to play against im told even in training he was avoided and just couldnt play the game without growling...i like that kind of intensity in any sportsman maybe thats something lads like Owen and Fowler lacked ?.......Ian Wright was another who had that lovely passion and desire to do well that all fans love to see.....Lineker i could never make my mind up about i booked him half an iron after Mexico 86 carrying his little arm about like a fairy but i might just be prejudiced.

I wonder will Harry Kane be spoken of in these types of conversations in years to come he certainly has a lot of tools.

Interesting I think wright wa highly unlucky in that he was kind of between the Lineker and Shearer eras . He kind of fell between the gaps really as Lineker was a fed striker from a target type via Gaza’s and Beardsley and Shearer was the natural centre forward for a 442 type of industry and set pieces . Wright isn’t quite either of those as he is to selfish to play with shearer. 

Sutton was never England class, Cole again wasn’t quite what was wanted As he wasn’t playing his natural role for England. Teddy came about too late sadly.