Sign in to follow this  
Compo21

Feeding ferals

I shot a load of feral pigeons with the air rifle yesterday are they okay to feed to my ferrets? I know they are flying rats and carry diseases but if I freeze them first will they be okay? 
cheers 

compo 

yes you can feed them I feed mine on them when I shoot them freeze what you can and just remove them as needed

I freeze everything for 2/3 weeks and never had a problem 

• Like 1

Chuck em in mate shoot feral by bag full and chuck em in fresh good ferret grub. 

I'd try and dig the slug out of the birds,its a big amount of led for the ferts.Saying that, my terriers I had as a kid used to eat shot birds daily, slugs and all and lived till old age.

• Like 1

Definitely remove the slugs before feeding them to the ferrets.  Years ago I was told of a litter of 7 week old kits who died after eating the slugs in dead squirrels.

I cleaned out the ferrets today and at the bottom of the shavings where all the number 6 shot the pheasants had been shot with that i'm feeding them i wouldn't remove the  slugs there bigger than the pellets and there eating round them  

51 minutes ago, The one said:

I cleaned out the ferrets today and at the bottom of the shavings where all the number 6 shot the pheasants had been shot with that i'm feeding them i wouldn't remove the  slugs there bigger than the pellets and there eating round them  

I regularly find air rifle pellets in the ferrets cages, they don’t eat them I am sure. 

• Like 2