a surprise to say the least

A friend of my son in law has bought a springer rifle and would I zero it up for him. Well I picked up the gun, a Cometa .22 with a Simmons 4 x 32 scope.  There was no effort whatsoever to cock the rifle but I was not able to check the power as my Combro would not fit due to the front sight so no bloody idea.

A bit airy fairy in terms of accuracy but quite smooth to shoot although at 15mts in my garden groups were no better than an inch using some Exacts I had lying around.  He bought the outfit for £110 ? to shoot pigeons that were causing him issues with his salad patch ?.  I did the best I could but really didn't think it was up to the job so I thought I had better try it out, 10 mins and two pigeons later, I had to conceed. They were head shots and I seriously doubt that he will be able to take head shots without a great deal of practice, I can only stress that point to him and the rest is down to him.  This was bought from an rfd who should have advised the chap about his options but didn't, just put this in his hand and took the money (twat), I find it really annoying that no time is given to someone who wants to start in airguns and an empty shop to boot so he could have given him time.

DSCF3635_zpsi5xwdikd.jpg

DSCF3636_zps2xug7et5.jpg

Phil

• Like 4

As you know Phil some think fast buck over customer service these days ,which to me is dumbbb .If he,d spent 15 minutes explaining ins/outs and what to do then he would.ve gone back and probably told friends about the shop .But now he knows the shop owner is a money grabber .

In these crazy times repeat custom should be the priority over a quick quid but there,s no cure for greed other than bankruptcy which is a lesson for most .

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Cometa 100 is advertised at 525fps in .22, so probably somewhere between 8 and 9 ft lbs. Should kill a pigeon at short distance, but not the best choice for the job is it? ?

This is one of them?
B9126FF8-1B77-4631-B5AA-F6C9C3175A31.jpeg.f383b605e420d7374dc2ec2fe66e4163.jpeg

you’ve got to be carful with the posher models cos they go way over very easily?

• Like 3

The trigger lets them down massively with no adjustment from what I gather .Not a bad rifle tbh .Some of you are losing sight of what we started with .

I had a bsa meteor ,open sights ,that I had to keep cutting leather washers for and a Wembley Vulcan with no safety catch and beat up Nikon scope .Getting good with inferior kit is the making of a hunter in my book .The advent of pre charged rifles took accuracy within the reach of everyone but a good grounding in basics cannot be a bad thing .

If the lad takes to it he may graduate to a pre charged ,who knows .

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I was wrong sorry, seems capable.

haha.. there were some right gems in the back of my mates shop sd!

during this lockdown I think ive fixed about 15 springers that were in junk corner.. the biggest surprise was a cheap Ruger where two became one to bring it back to life!

I bet whoever buys it loves it:thumbs:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, si brown said:

haha.. there were some right gems in the back of my mates shop sd!

during this lockdown I think ive fixed about 15 springers that were in junk corner.. the biggest surprise was a cheap Ruger where two became one to bring it back to life!

I bet whoever buys it loves it:thumbs:

I recently worked on a friend's sons wee gamo . I didn't do anything power wise but lost some twang/ boing noise and sweetened the trigger by removing the adjusting screw blank and adding a longer screw.

Sometimes the slightest thing can transform a springer.

• Like 2
On 14/06/2020 at 21:01, Baldcoot said:

As you know Phil some think fast buck over customer service these days ,which to me is dumbbb .If he,d spent 15 minutes explaining ins/outs and what to do then he would.ve gone back and probably told friends about the shop .But now he knows the shop owner is a money grabber .

In these crazy times repeat custom should be the priority over a quick quid but there,s no cure for greed other than bankruptcy which is a lesson for most I've had airguns from both my local rfd,s and they seemed exactly the same as whats mentioned above, seems there just out for money ,no customer service tact at all just hered the gun wheres the money,.that's why now I will use the rfd that can deliver to my door....and use online for the bits and Bob's...

On 13/06/2020 at 10:43, philpot said:

A friend of my son in law has bought a springer rifle and would I zero it up for him. Well I picked up the gun, a Cometa .22 with a Simmons 4 x 32 scope.  There was no effort whatsoever to cock the rifle but I was not able to check the power as my Combro would not fit due to the front sight so no bloody idea.

A bit airy fairy in terms of accuracy but quite smooth to shoot although at 15mts in my garden groups were no better than an inch using some Exacts I had lying around.  He bought the outfit for £110 ? to shoot pigeons that were causing him issues with his salad patch ?.  I did the best I could but really didn't think it was up to the job so I thought I had better try it out, 10 mins and two pigeons later, I had to conceed. They were head shots and I seriously doubt that he will be able to take head shots without a great deal of practice, I can only stress that point to him and the rest is down to him.  This was bought from an rfd who should have advised the chap about his options but didn't, just put this in his hand and took the money (twat), I find it really annoying that no time is given to someone who wants to start in airguns and an empty shop to boot so he could have given him time.

DSCF3635_zpsi5xwdikd.jpg

DSCF3636_zps2xug7et5.jpg

Phil

If it can take head shots then I suppose with  practice he will easily be able to take heart/lung shots at those distances all day long..

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dervburner said:

Looks like cometa are selling themselves short then. 

I’ve messed about with a few and can safely say there as good a match for the boutique brands... not sure what the new ones are like but these old ones have come back to life nicely?

• Like 3