WHAT A DICK!!!

Well I thought I'd have a mooch tonight and take some sunbathing bunnies. Then have a go at a few more with the NV. Or so I thought? 

Picked up my bag with all my gear in, torches  NV battery, NV spotter, spare batteries, gloves, face cover, all present and correct. 

Opened the safe grabbed my rifle of choice for tonight, the 22lr, this was already in the slip as I'd used it on a previous night, I picked up the ammo and set off to the farm. Great stuff out nice and early to have a go at the crop munchers 

I got to the farm, opened the gates and parked up. Jumps out the van and opened the slip and got the 22 out............. 

WHAT A DICK!!! I'd only gone and left the mag at home ??? WHAT A DICK!!! 

So I thought to myself feck it, I'm here now I'll just have to load a round at a time.

Well what a ball ache?

The rabbits were all just sat there lazing about enjoying the sun munching away. 

First shot fired hit home straight to the bonce, the others got startled a bit then just cracked on as normal. In the mean time I'm trying to get the little 22 round in the barrel, time I got it in the rest of the hoppers disappeared. I waited patiently and round number 2 hit home, another one down. 

The time I faffed about I should have had 10 out of one field with in 30 mins, but I got sick in the end and just hand a nice walk out. 

As I walked around the edges of the field I couldn't fecking believe it! 2 cubs having a stroll, then an adult fox not far behind, there was no way I was taking a shot with the 22 just incase I messed up the head shot and couldn't reload in time for a follow up shot.

So they looked at me, I looked at them and then they where gone, this was only 20:30.

I carried on full of fook with myself by now and it's starting ruin my night out even more, then low and behold another adult fox stops looks at me then darts off?

Needless to say I Jumped in the van and that was the end of that. I'll be back with the 308 some time this week and those foxes won't be as lucky next time. 

WHAT A DICK!!! 

(Note to oneself make sure you've got you mag?

Edited by Longshanx
  • Haha 9

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I thought I'd have a mooch tonight and take some sunbathing bunnies. Then have a go at a few more with the NV. Or so I thought?  Picked up my bag with all my gear in, torches  NV battery, NV

My missus wishes one would bite my nob! 

Look like they've had more acid than me in the 70's

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Stavross said:

Your not the first to do that, at least you remembered the bolt, that was what I left at home? were the foxes around the cow fields 

I was well pissed off mate?

Yeah 2 cubs and adult were in the cow field. Then the bottom of the field one jump through the gap in the gate, we had a Mexican stand off then it went through the bushes. I've seen that one before walking down the fence line to the gate through the NV spotter. 

2 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Sods law ,fixing a fence 3 foxes crossed a ride as i watched fuming as id not bothered with a rifle as you never saw any at Packington ??

It's always the bloody case, had another one run out the sheep field and cross the road on the way home ?

7 hours ago, Stavross said:

Your not the first to do that, at least you remembered the bolt, that was what I left at home? were the foxes around the cow fields 

I've done that several times, I've even gone out on occasion with the wrong bolt and once with hmr ammo an a 22 rifle ? the joys of having two t-bolts in different calibers ?

Edited by Gav
Did I really just admit that in public ?
  • Haha 3

Never ever happened to me in over 30 years as never remove bolts or mags from rifles , I don't understand why people do this ? Leave them in rifle and it cant happen , my simple risk assessment.  Only last week when stalking with  my mate he forgot his bolt and had to phone the wife to bring it , told him to never remove it and this wont happen  , think he got the point.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Never ever happened to me in over 30 years as never remove bolts or mags from rifles , I don't understand why people do this ? Leave them in rifle and it cant happen , my simple risk assessment.  Only last week when stalking with  my mate he forgot his bolt and had to phone the wife to bring it , told him to never remove it and this wont happen  , think he got the point.

I've always stored them seperate to the rifles, keeps my FEO happy as he likes locks on the rifles in the cabinet, I have a seperate safe for mods, bolts and mags.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Some forces request that bolt is kept in ammo safe. I do it just incase of worst case scenario someone breaking in etc. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Some forces request that bolt is kept in ammo safe. I do it just incase of worst case scenario someone breaking in etc. 

Indeed, I can't get locks on the rifles with a bolt in and my cabinet has an internal magazine for ammo. What the FEO wants he gets or I don't have my FAC ?

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2
41 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

^^^^This^^^^^

I forgot my bolt once in the early days of firearms shooting. Lesson learnt, they never ever come out of the rifles now except to clean then they go straight back in.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ianm said:

^^^^This^^^^^

I forgot my bolt once in the early days of firearms shooting. Lesson learnt, they never ever come out of the rifles now except to clean then they go straight back in.

Depends on your local force, if you're allowed to thats great, I'm quite rural and don't need alarms etc, so I'm quite happy keeping them seperate and locks on in the cabinet.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Gav said:

I've always stored them seperate to the rifles, keeps my FEO happy as he likes locks on the rifles in the cabinet, I have a seperate safe for mods, bolts and mags.

4 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

I don't care what the feo likes or wants or requests, Security is ultimately the fac holders responsibility and nothing to do with them. It isn't law that you keep them separate and i only work to the letter of the law not some feo whims.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Depends on your local force, if you're allowed to thats great, I'm quite rural and don't need alarms etc, so I'm quite happy keeping them seperate and locks on in the cabinet.

I too am quite rural but what they are having you do is completely ott and isn't legal enforcing it. I would not only challenge it but would refuse point blank to do it.

• Like 1