Back up at the shoot

30 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Was planning to just sit out overlooking the lambing fields at the back of the farm, but decided to go for a walk about while it was still light 

Would still take the .243 mate...would hate to pass up a buck.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Better the youngster be out in the fields than sat in front of the x box 😁

Posted Images

I’m up in sunny Northumberland at the moment. Me and Mrs’s SL have been invited to stay on my mates shoot in one of the gun lodges . I can see why he left Gloucestershire and moved up here , it’s absolutely stunning. We have had a bit of a day out , called into Berwick on tweed and down to Holy island . The shoot itself covers 6500 acres with another two shoots of 10,000 acres that is owned by the same operator. They have pheasant , partridge, duck and grouse and there are also 200 or so English partridge that are breeding in the wild . The bird life up here is prolific, I counted 43 Curlew this morning in one field , and more hares than I’ve seen in my life . There is a large population of roe on the shoot but no other deer species. I am out foxing tonight, my mate says the foxes up here are a lot bigger than the ones in Gloucestershire , I’m looking forward to that . I’ve been out on his rearing field and he has just had his first chicks in last week . But the problem is that the nights are so cold -3 at night, so the water is freezing in the pipes and not defrosting until mid morning, luckily there has been enough water in the drinkers , but his arse has been nipping a bit . He showed me the doc traps he has set , I’m going to get a couple and try them out , but you wouldn’t want to catch your fingers in them they are powerful. 

B294EA3D-65FA-4814-933C-8843A5CF5512.jpeg

83D4C971-654C-42BC-A40A-3EEDC13DD38A.jpeg

87BD648F-8270-452A-9FE8-66425F71254D.jpeg

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

We have plenty curlew and lapwing up here [BANNED TEXT] , see them all the time.

Yes I saw lapwing too , and oyster catchers. I’ve not seen them this far inland ( 5 miles) , but they are on all the flight ponds and marshy patches .

45 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Yes I saw lapwing too , and oyster catchers. I’ve not seen them this far inland ( 5 miles) , but they are on all the flight ponds and marshy patches .

Think your mate should be alright up there, it’s more people who enjoy the countryside rather than deranged lefties and hippies!

there’s a remote wood at one of my places with a fish eagle.

thought it was a fox at first cos it was so big but it was twighlight and a fair way off through the thermal, it was next to a fence post.. one huge flap and it was on top of the post.. I put the scope on it gathers that much light I could clearly see what it was. 
after a bit of geeking I worked out what it was and it’s a descent age by the dark colour band🤓

• Like 1
9 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I’m going to get my “chippy” head on and have a go . I like making stuff like that .

Thinking the same mate looks good that does 

Picked up some more gear to chuck at foxes today, seems we might be responsible for America’s ammo shortage 😁 reading the bumf on them they are man stoppers in the urban environment, they certainly do the job, the .223 likes them and at 18 quid a box they are at the cheaper end, which makes me happy 

BC5EF365-0EB9-4DFC-9D95-580397A32997.jpeg

4B61D00B-63DB-4B02-B9BB-8AED35BB71F2.jpeg

E75E9760-944F-4F6D-8200-D7F9F6BC7431.png

• Like 1