A question to all you springer boys.

Whilst I am not going to use my hw99 for very much live quarry shooting but I have a few perms where it will be fun to use  BUT  as a novice springer hunter and springer user period, what do you lads do whilst waiting for the bunny / squirrel / magpie to turn up in terms of having the rifle ready.  Do you cock and load the gun with just the safety to slip off or keep the spring relaxed with a pellet chambered ready to cock and shoot.

It might sound a daft question but I really am not sure it is okay to leave the gun cocked without causing damage to the spring and if so how long would you guys leave it that way. I am just thinking of a quiet evening when there is far more waiting than shooting.

Phil

• Like 1

I tend to load it ready but just out of paranoia if im waiting for over half an hour i will de-cock it and give the spring a rest for a few mins.

Probably a total waste of time but it makes me feel better??

• Like 4

Very good question Phil. :good:

When I`m in a hide decoying I always stay pellet chambered gun not cocked as you normally see your quarry flighting in.

Rabbits, squirrels, corvids from a hide, cocked and ready to fire.

On the quieter evenings I much prefer the spring rifles without a bear trap so I can uncock the rifle as I too feel better after a long wait, I`m fully aware that you can sit there loaded and ready for ages at a time with no ill effect on the spring.

So Phil, on the slow waits, older spring rifles with no bear trap or PCP, ( just my way buddy ) .

atb. Mark.

• Like 2

Cock on sight of pest mate. I know that leaving it cocked for sometime may have no issues, but the mind is a powerful ally In shooting and if I ‘think’ the shot will be more sweet on a fresh spring, so be it. 

• Like 3

Give it a try Phil - I saw your shots on the other thread and, it doesn't get much better mate  :yes:

......... leave it cocked for an hour or so, then shoot at the same target - it'll show you what your rifle is doing. 

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, philpot said:

Cheers Jon, I will run a few tests on that basis.  All new ground for me, a pcp boy.

Phil

It’ll be far harsher mate, and you’ll feel it kick like a mule... ?

Thats it, it’s in ya head now ?

• Haha 2

There was a test done a few years ago I read.

Someone measured a spring and wound it down on a threaded rod and left it for different time lengths. Nothing changed its length over a day or two (iirc). I seem to recall it shortened by 2mm after months of compression. But who is going to do that!

Mine are cocked as soon as I start hunting. Never had an issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

There was a test done a few years ago I read.

Someone measured a spring and wound it down on a threaded rod and left it for different time lengths. Nothing changed its length over a day or two (iirc). I seem to recall it shortened by 2mm after months of compression. But who is going to do that!

Mine are cocked as soon as I start hunting. Never had an issue.

Thats good to know SD and is what I have been told by several others.

Phil

• Like 1