Another fox call

A phone call this afternoon and I knew I would have to give Britain’s got talent a miss, apparently a farmer’s lad went to check on the pet lambs and a fox jumped out the pen and bolted off down the field, so I got there in good time, taking the .17 as shooting close to the buildings the .243 was out of the question, when I arrived I thought I’d have a walk about maybe shoot a rabbit or two for a bit of bait. In one of the fields I thought I’d spotted the culprit but it turned out to be two dogs running riot, as I hopped the fence one of them came charging towards me, I immediately jumped back over the fence and gave the farmer a ring to let him know ( his reply is why I haven’t said where I was) , he said shoot them, to which I replied “ I’ve only got the .17 with me ( trying to make an excuse not to shoot them) and they are not in with the sheep, he didn’t sound very happy about this and he said he would sort it out ( if they had been in with the sheep maybe the outcome would of been different) heading back towards the farm I noticed a lot of rabbits along the hedges and managed 11 for 13 shot, with all the commotion of the dogs and the farmer flying around after them I didn’t see a fox, but it was nice to have a go with the .17 for a change at some hoppers and not having to shoot some family’s pets

6F91DF25-09C2-436A-AA55-AF1E7E47818F.jpeg

073FE623-CAD3-42FE-AB31-7BAD98E42A09.jpeg

373A8ECA-2C0B-4C51-9873-67F5A77F9F0F.jpeg

• Like 6

Mmmmm shiney trigger, nice an pretty, my precious ?

I missed BGT too, but mine was intentional ?

My understanding of the law is, if they are bothering livestock you can shoot them, I certainly wouldn't unless it was a last resort!

• Like 2

Yet again the law is far from perfect in this regard. It's a compromise. It tries to cater for the useless dog training the usual average dog owner is but also tried to cover the serious loss of a food producer that has invested time and money in their live stock.

It is also a compromise because the parliament that makes these laws are in fear of the voter!

The law does not credit anyone with common sense either but rather threatens anyone acting to an emergency situation as borderline criminal. Completely unreasonable!

To imply that a farmer or agent of his in the right place at the right time as acting irrationally is frankly disgraceful!

If the law placed full responsibility on the dog owner and that the dog owner was completely liable for losses it would be a none issue at all!

The convoluted law as it is will induced an improper approach and confrontation. A classic mis managed upside down response by our great useless leaders yet again!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, David.evans said:

You were right not to shoot them , let the farmer do it if needed , 

could end up in deep shit and not worth it 

atb 

by the way stop winking at everyone ?

I only wink at the nice boys Dave ??

• Haha 1

To be honest where they were I wouldn’t of shot them, if they were in with the sheep behaving in the way they were that would of been a different matter, the farmers response was the usual one, if it had been one of next doors horses or a couple of lost ramblers he would of said the same, it’s very much his little island and in his head he makes the laws around these parts 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, David.evans said:

You were right not to shoot them , let the farmer do it if needed , 

could end up in deep shit and not worth it 

atb 

by the way stop winking at everyone ?

Not worth the hassle ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He has just this minute rang me, firstly to say thank you for leaving dead rabbits all over the back of the farm and secondly to say he found out who the dog’s owner was and he’s gone through them like a dose of salts, he’s told them that a pest control lad was on last night and was about to shoot them ( I wasn’t ) but he stopped them from being shot ? it wouldn’t surprise me if he tells them they have killed stock and he wants compensation 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Some years ago i was out shooting with a mate after deer. After awhile we heard a commotion in the next field and sheep running all over bouncing off hedges and fences. We made our way over as quick as we could and saw a standard poodle worrying ewes. We phoned the farmer and he said do whatever you can to stop it the ewes are in lamb and i will be with you as quick as i can. My mate spotted the owner of the poodle just stood watching on a path. By this time one ewe was down on the ground and it had hold of another one. My mate shouted at the owner "get your dog under control" the owner said "f*** off". So my mate said "get it under control or i will shoot it" the owner said "no you won't f*** off". The ewe the dog was hold of had gone down by this time and the dog was hold of its back end. In no time at all my mate had the rifle on sticks and shot the poodle with a 30/06. The owner ran over to the dog and my mate got on the phone to the police to report it. Shortly after the farmer arrived and went to confront the owner. The police actually attended on my mates request. The upshot of it was they told the owner to pay the farmer compensation or they would prosecute. He carried the dog off in a sack the farmer had in his land rover and paid him the next day. He paid for two ewes and lambs but the farmer lost out overall because several more aborted in the days after.   

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
6 minutes ago, ianm said:

Some years ago i was out shooting with a mate after deer. After awhile we heard a commotion in the next field and sheep running all over bouncing off hedges and fences. We made our way over as quick as we could and saw a standard poodle worrying ewes. We phoned the farmer and he said do whatever you can to stop it the ewes are in lamb and i will be with you as quick as i can. My mate spotted the owner of the poodle just stood watching on a path. By this time one ewe was down on the ground and it had hold of another one. My mate shouted at the owner "get your dog under control" the owner said "f*** off". So my mate said "get it under control or i will shoot it" the owner said "no you won't f*** off". The ewe the dog was hold of had gone down by this time and the dog was hold of its back end. In no time at all my mate had the rifle on sticks and shot the poodle with a 30/06. The owner ran over to the dog and my mate got on the phone to the police to report it. Shortly after the farmer arrived and went to confront the owner. The police actually attended on my mates request. The upshot of it was they told the owner to pay the farmer compensation or they would prosecute. He carried the dog off in a sack the farmer had in his land rover and paid him the next day. He paid for two ewes and lambs but the farmer lost out overall because several more aborted in the days after.   

Totally justified in a situation like that, and that’s where the problem lays proving it’s justified, but nowadays we all have mobile phones, with the ability to take video, it’s crap when farmers loose lambs all the time to what’s in my view idiots, then they turn around and play the victim, 

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, ianm said:

A classic case where there was no time for a lengthy discourse. Immediate action was required and common sense prevailed.

And as pointed out it is not just the immediate damage being done. The aftermath is as bad!

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Stavross said:

A phone call this afternoon and I knew I would have to give Britain’s got talent a miss, apparently a farmer’s lad went to check on the pet lambs and a fox jumped out the pen and bolted off down the field, so I got there in good time, taking the .17 as shooting close to the buildings the .243 was out of the question, when I arrived I thought I’d have a walk about maybe shoot a rabbit or two for a bit of bait. In one of the fields I thought I’d spotted the culprit but it turned out to be two dogs running riot, as I hopped the fence one of them came charging towards me, I immediately jumped back over the fence and gave the farmer a ring to let him know ( his reply is why I haven’t said where I was) , he said shoot them, to which I replied “ I’ve only got the .17 with me ( trying to make an excuse not to shoot them) and they are not in with the sheep, he didn’t sound very happy about this and he said he would sort it out ( if they had been in with the sheep maybe the outcome would of been different) heading back towards the farm I noticed a lot of rabbits along the hedges and managed 11 for 13 shot, with all the commotion of the dogs and the farmer flying around after them I didn’t see a fox, but it was nice to have a go with the .17 for a change at some hoppers and not having to shoot some family’s pets

6F91DF25-09C2-436A-AA55-AF1E7E47818F.jpeg

073FE623-CAD3-42FE-AB31-7BAD98E42A09.jpeg

373A8ECA-2C0B-4C51-9873-67F5A77F9F0F.jpeg

Is the large scope for when shooting mice?

• Haha 4