Soon won't even be safe to walk in the woods here

14 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Why are they going to do that for?

As far as I can make out, it's to control the pine weevil. But killing everything else in the process 

Atb j 

8 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

That sounds like madness  - surely there's another way of dealing with it?

..... people managed for thousands of years without indiscriminate poisons.

Not where government and money is involved. They don't care.

The world bee population is bad enough, without adding this to it.

Atb j 

• Like 2

So they intend to wipeout the insect life of an ecosystem.... just remove one of the foundational levels of the ecological pyramid....

I assume someone with a qualification has reviewed this and determined that I'm wrong and that it won't lead to a trophic cascade?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

So they intend to wipeout the insect life of an ecosystem.... just remove one of the foundational levels of the ecological pyramid....

I assume someone with a qualification has reviewed this and determined that I'm wrong and that it won't lead to a trophic cascade?

Apparently it's got the go ahead. Letters have been sent out to local bee keepers informing them what and when it's taking place.

Doesn't make sence. 

Atb j 

Bloke did the field next door this week with a cocktail of Roundup, Moretone and some other shit that’s been sitting in his shed for 10 years !!......f***ing breaks me but what can you do, his field, his rules.

I have forestry blocks all around me and I read about this Jetro, bloke who is teaching my old woman bee keeping said about it too.......when I see this shit it’s makes me all the more determined to have f**k all to do with modern agricultural practices.

I don’t know how farmers can stomach it.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, WILF said:

Bloke did the field next door this week with a cocktail of Roundup, Moretone and some other shit that’s been sitting in his shed for 10 years !!......f***ing breaks me but what can you do, his field, his rules.

I have forestry blocks all around me and I read about this Jetro, bloke who is teaching my old woman bee keeping said about it too.......when I see this shit it’s makes me all the more determined to have f**k all to do with modern agricultural practices.

I don’t know how farmers can stomach it.

Money money money that's all  the government is worried about. They'll  poision the whole damm island for a few bob.

No point giving big speeches, and trying to stop turf cutting for nature, giving grants for set aside, when they turn around and do this.

We live very close to the largest forest in Ireland. That much poision in one place has to have a serious knock on effect. 

Atb j 

• Sad 1

When birds are nesting it’s an ecological disaster to do this,  next year no birds and the weevils will go mental, all the fly hatch’s in the waters will have a massive effect on fish mortality, why the feck is this even possible at this time of year, I had a row last year with the local wildlife trust for ripping out hedges at this time of year, lovely big thick hedges I could almost guarantee putting a hare or deer out of if I run the dogs through replaced with a rustic fence by so called guardians of the countryside, looneys running the asylum springs to mind ??

• Sad 1

I'm not sure it's as bad as they are making out. They use permethrin  in forestry in this country annually to treat trees before they go in the ground to stop weevil damage. 

You can by clothes impregnated with the stuff as well.