Hello,
so here in Spain we're confined now since a 5 weeks...
My workshop is a 30km away and at home I just have a file, sandpaper, jigsaw, blowtorch, not much to make a decent knife.
Just before the lockdown started, I made a blade from m390 for my "Aficionado" model, my version of the Loveless City Knife, the original design tweaked here and there, a little wider blade and pronounced guard to prevent slipping into the edge and the dropped edge so it will look good even after years of sharpening.
Some time back a friend gave me a piece of walrus ivory and ever since I was thinking where to use it. I like the material, being from north europe, close to the north sea, I like this northern ivory, highly apreceiated in viking times.
The idea was a little knife for edc, with totally stainless materials.

Now, as I have loads of time, being at home, at least I wanted to create something I normally don't have the time for, not easy with the limited tools at home..

First I hand sanded the blade to a mirror polish, but I couldn't get rif if very tiny scratches, so at the end, I decided for a hand rubbed satin finish with 1200 grit.

I had some 416 stainless bar stock with 1/4" that I filed and tapered down to a 0,13" for the bolsters. They're held by two hidden pins and soldered.

Finally, last week I finished the knife, today I sent it to an engraver for some scroll on the bolsters.

fetting-messer-aficionado_walrus_8.jpg.43900ae22528e4b58155428c5aa77b97.jpg

fetting-messer-aficionado_walrus_10.jpg.647c685dac7d1c3e26a1012f0218635b.jpg

Regards

Nicolas

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, spsurfer said:

Hello, 

I have not done a folder so far, it's definetly on my list, but making a decent folder is quite a task. 

Regards 

Nicolas 

ive been looking for one for a bit ,but the prices of the ones i like are somewhat alarming,but i do realise it must take a bit and precision work to make one ....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

ive been looking for one for a bit ,but the prices of the ones i like are somewhat alarming,but i do realise it must take a bit and precision work to make one ....

A handmade custom folder is a lot of work. You have to work 100% precise, a 10th of a milimeter on the blade tang makes the blade wobble, not straight when open, or won't close. You first have to mount all the parts, see if they work well together, file here and there, takeing it apart again.... several times, hardening the parts (now when they warp, a thing that can happen, everything is for the bin). 

Spring tension has to be right when the blade is open or closed.

That's why I didn't try a folder yet.

Regards

Nicolas

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, spsurfer said:

A handmade custom folder is a lot of work. You have to work 100% precise, a 10th of a milimeter on the blade tang makes the blade wobble, not straight when open, or won't close. You first have to mount all the parts, see if they work well together, file here and there, takeing it apart again.... several times, hardening the parts (now when they warp, a thing that can happen, everything is for the bin). 

Spring tension has to be right when the blade is open or closed.

That's why I didn't try a folder yet.

Regards

Nicolas

thanks for the explanation Spurfer,i realise its a lot of work,but i cant justify spending  200 on a knife and then loose it in a field ,lol..and i have no interest in the 20 euro plastic efforts ,

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, socks said:

To be fair a hand made fixed blade and sheath should be over £200 never mind the hassle of a folder .....  

That's true, most decent factory folders are easily over 200 (except SAK, in my opinion the best in price / quality) no to speak about custom... 

Even on a fixed blade with M390, giraffe bone etc only in materials you easily spend 100.

One thing for sure, a custom knife is not necessarily better than a good factory knife. It's the fact (like bespoke guns, too) that it is made FOR YOU, size, ergonomics, style, materials.. 

When I try to make a folder, it's my incentive to make it better than a factory folder, ergonomics, materials, design and as long as I think I can't archive this, it has to wait. 

Rwgards

Nicolas 

On 21/04/2020 at 11:38, spsurfer said:

except SAK, in my opinion the best in price / quality

@jigsaw SAK = Swiss Army Knife. I've got one of their multitools that I must have had for 30 years and the mechanism is still tight and the blade holds a decent edge, even if I've lost the tweezers and bent the corkscrew :blink: I was looking at their range for a smaller one as mine is now deemed 'illegal' in the UK and noticed they also produce a single locking blade hunter designed for the US market which might suit your needs. I'd be confident about the quality and the wood and rubberised handles look ok.

https://www.knifecenter.com/series/victorinox-swiss-army/swiss-army-hunter-pro

• Like 2
On 21/04/2020 at 10:25, jigsaw said:

thanks for the explanation Spurfer,i realise its a lot of work,but i cant justify spending  200 on a knife and then loose it in a field ,lol..and i have no interest in the 20 euro plastic efforts ,

There's some canny folders out there for under a ton Jig

This is a legal carry TBS wildcat

One Scandinavian grind, the other a flat grind

IMG_20200423_100111.jpg

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Very nice mate have you not fancied a go yourself or different trade....

Thanks, the engraving is done by a professional engraver, I can't do that, allthough I would like :D

Regards

Nicolas

• Like 1