The two we kept

Tyla

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've just raised a litter here out of my Patxspringer bitch, put my wife's old whippetxrussell dog over her and she had 8 pups. All were spoken for by friends straight away but we kept two back. I'm

A bit of an update on the pups. My wife's is doing good as a yard dog and catches bits and pieces round the stables but isn't actively worked which is a pity. She keeps busy though and gets stuck

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I've had a bit of a set back with my pup, the brown and white one, she managed to dislocate her hip in November and vet has proscribed 6 months cage rest and lead walking. A disaster in my opinion for a 9 month old pup at the start of her first season. She's missed the season and has been driving me mad to the extent that I've farmed her out to my mum. There's too much going on around me with the other dogs and such and it was winding her up so much stuck in the crate that she was wild as soon as she came out. Life is more sedate with my mum and it sounds like she's settled well and is getting the rest and healing time she needs. Im really hoping that she comes good for work but at the very least she's getting the best training for a pet home if the hip doesn't hold. All the others seem to be doing well which is great. With any luck Meg will be sble to catch up over the Summer

14 minutes ago, Tyla said:

I've had a bit of a set back with my pup, the brown and white one, she managed to dislocate her hip in November and vet has proscribed 6 months cage rest and lead walking. A disaster in my opinion for a 9 month old pup at the start of her first season. She's missed the season and has been driving me mad to the extent that I've farmed her out to my mum. There's too much going on around me with the other dogs and such and it was winding her up so much stuck in the crate that she was wild as soon as she came out. Life is more sedate with my mum and it sounds like she's settled well and is getting the rest and healing time she needs. Im really hoping that she comes good for work but at the very least she's getting the best training for a pet home if the hip doesn't hold. All the others seem to be doing well which is great. With any luck Meg will be sble to catch up over the Summer

She will mate ?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

A bit of an update on the pups.

My wife's is doing good as a yard dog and catches bits and pieces round the stables but isn't actively worked which is a pity. She keeps busy though and gets stuck into anything that turns up round the stables. She's out all day so gets plenty of opportunities.

Mine pretty much missed the season after dislocating her hip, she lived with my mum for 4 months recuperating and I've just got her back a few weeks ago. 

I was worried she would've gone soft or that the hip would recur but, so far, the hip is holding up and she certainly hasn't gone soft. She hunts like mad and has no fear of cover. She had some early successes before the injury and I'm hoping that'll help when she inevitably catches up to something on her own. Her mother is usually not far away anyway.

Her first go out ratting was the other night and, once she'd mastered the shake, she took to it well. Jai did a write up on it in the lurcher section.

Shes like a tiny version of her father at dbout 18 tts.

I will add to this post as and when I remember 

20210430_180524.jpg

• Like 14
  • 5 months later...

Little update on the pups. 

The chocolate one, my wife's, is mainly a yard dog but is notching up a reasonable number of rabbits and squirrels. She's been trained to retrieve to the horse so the Mrs doesn't have to keep getting off.

Mine is going well. No sign of recurrence from the hip and hunts well. Shes been on a few camping and canoeing trips over the summer and is a pleasure to have around.  She catches a few rabbits, the odd squirrel and very keen on the rats now. I gave her a run on a rabbit on the lamp the other night and to my surprise she caught it. I'll be trying that a bit more over the next few weeks.

Now it's cooling down I'm starting to hunt them a bit more and the lack of a running dog is showing in our catch rate. We hunt lots, flush lots but catch few. I enjoy it anyway and when some of the retirees shuffle off I shall add to the pack again.

This will be my pups first proper season as she was disabled last year do I'm looking g forward to seeing what she can do.

• Like 7
  • 4 weeks later...

Been beating a fair bit this season and doing a bit of rough shooting. She's taken to it and flushes and retrieves well enough. She's steady enough rough shooting but can get a but wild on a place with a lot of birds on. She seems to have worked out the difference between bushing and shooting, happy to range out and hunt while bushing but keeps relatively close, with a bit of reminding, while shooting. I'm still pleased with her so far.

20211106_140201.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, LuckyLamper said:

Great looking dogs [BANNED TEXT]! How did the Dogs turn out compared to the bitches? 

Thanks. One of them was enormous, about 23tts and looks like a bullx. The others were slightly bigger than the bitches but similar type

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...