Home made jerky/billtong

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea I make jerky but make mine out of beef skirt in a dehydrator did a few posts in living of the land section. Mainly marinate in. Soy Sause Worcestershire sause Black pepper Liqu

Mine turned out alright 4hrs approx in the oven i cant taste the liquid smoke and i put 1/2tbsp in, this is probably due to the korean bbq sauce being rather strong but otherwise its a

The jerky i made the other day my lad ate the lot so now for a different batch. Managed to grab a bottle of liquid smoke and to be fair its rather damn smokey  going to put a teaspoon i

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

i actually seen it amongst the bbq sauces last week

i should of grabbed a bottle

Can't stop watching these videos now lol this guy's marinade looks great if you don't  want to go the liquid smoke route 

• Like 1

Not made jerky for ages but buying a food dehydrator makes it really hard to get wrong. Also the cut of meat you use can make a huge difference too. You can experiment with cuts from the butcher until you get it the way you wanted. It's not necessarily the right way, or the only way, but it's another way. :thumbs:

1 hour ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Some good tips n hints fellas, what’s your favourite cuts to use?

I find  Beef Skirt gives me the best results. Other lean cuts would work fine though.

Cheers Arry

30 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Time I spent in Zimbabwe we are a lot of it, serious jaw work they had steaks hanging on washing lines , was a butcher in the sticks, used to love getting one with fat on for an easy chew lol, they'd bring some in and chop it in lump of desired size, always felt a sense of relief when we'd run out haha.

I think the main reason for using lean meat is so that it keeps. The venison I did was serious work on the jaw as you say. If you use meat that a bit fatty think it would be a good idea to eat it in a few days.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Balaur said:

Yep it's a staple out there mate or was....venison is very dense I've tried a dried haunch and it was hard going when paper thin. To be fair some of them africaans got jaws like Arnie chewing dried steak whilst they chuck a digger bucket on by hand lol

Beef Skirt cut with the grain of the meat is more chewy that if you slice it across the grain but both are manageable.

Cheers Arry

2 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Love steak think I’d try the goose too, have any of yas tried salmon jerky?? It’s top notch too

Brothers mrs brought back crocodile jerky from Australia. Absolutely f***ing bogging lol. Probably the worst thing I've ever eaten

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, MH1 said:

Brothers mrs brought back crocodile jerky from Australia. Absolutely f***ing bogging lol. Probably the worst thing I've ever eaten

I haven’t tried croc jerky but cooked it was nice, be like eating raw chicken ?

The jerky i made the other day

my lad ate the lot

so now for a different batch. Managed to grab a bottle of liquid smoke and to be fair its rather damn smokey 

going to put a teaspoon in with some of the bbq sauce

60ACF835-C85B-4084-85FF-82D92B922626.jpeg

Edited by Ted Newgent
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

The jerky i made the other day

my lad ate the lot

so now for a different batch. Managed to grab a bottle of liquid smoke and to be fair its rather damn smokey 

going to put a teaspoon in with some of the bbq sauce

60ACF835-C85B-4084-85FF-82D92B922626.jpeg

Yeah from what I've seen about the liquid smoke is that you use it sparingly

Looking forward to the results 

:thumbs:

• Like 1