Do you lube?

Yes mate. It's the ball expander that gets overlooked the most. Most tapered cartridge cases naturally let go but the neck is first crushed then forced open again by the expander ball.

Think you can only get carbide dies for straight cases.

Edited by Sausagedog
36 minutes ago, David.evans said:

You need to lube what every you do expect just neck sizing , 

lve rolled and rolled , but the the spray that SL is using saves at lot of time 

and by the way SD , it’s a ball acke when they get stuck , lol ? 

atb 

I know and recommend some lube even when just neck sizing.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah that's the stuff I only paid £7.99 though ?

I've heard nothing but good about the stuff from anyone that's used it, and anyone that has swears they won't use anything else after too.

On 16/04/2020 at 19:27, Sausagedog said:

I know and recommend some lube even when just neck sizing.

Would you with Carbide dies though, I always got told you didn't need too with them.

when I have fls I always strip and clean the die to get rid of lube after, never lubed to bump, maybe I should start, but never had a stiff one bumping (that's sounds so wrong ?)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Gav said:

Would you with Carbide dies though, I always got told you didn't need too with them.

when I have fls I always strip and clean the die to get rid of lube after, never lubed to bump, maybe I should start, but never had a stiff one bumping (that's sounds so wrong ?)

No not with carbide dies but I think they only do carbide dies for straight cases. Don't think tapered cases benefit from having carbide present. A tapered or bottle necked cartridge needs lube to stop it getting taper locked when full length sizing. Even straight looking bottle neck cases have some taper.

You may get tungsten or carbide neck enlargers fitted to the de capper, they probably don't need lubricant. I never had one, just steel ones so I needed to lube the inside of the neck too.

• Thanks 1

It's the latest thing !   it's the washing powder that cleans whiter than white.  How white can that be.?    Is this lube is more slippery than the slipperiest slippery thing.  >>> I bet the ole boys who started reloading cartridges out in the states after the war used tractor back axle oil.  Time saving spray.?  what day is it.?

4 hours ago, wilbur foxhound said:

I was always under the impression that all mechanical items should be lubricated

Not neccasary. Some materials self lubricate.

With regards to carbide dies, the polished carbide grain structure is so dense it doesn't pick up brass enough to damage it without lubricant.