Thx tryin to slow down wit lurcher s now 40 years running round wit them taking its toll now knees sore all time this seems very addictive but love sitting wit beer watching them flying about ?

• Like 2
On 21/03/2020 at 18:48, taffey said:

Thx tryin to slow down wit lurcher s now 40 years running round wit them taking its toll now knees sore all time this seems very addictive but love sitting wit beer watching them flying about ?

I had a good pal/hunting partner who hated my birds due to the time i'd spend with them and not out with the dogs with him,then one day we were sat in my garden and i had divided up my big aviary into smaller flights with pairs and trio's in.It was summer and i had just about every stage of breeding going on in them,courting and treading in one,nest building in another right up to chicks being fed and fledglings being fed.He turned to me after watching what was going on and said " That's smart that is and i f*cking get it now",he sat for a few more hours and never once moaned to me about my bird time again..:thumbs:

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, fireman said:

I had a good pal/hunting partner who hated my birds due to the time i'd spend with them and not out with the dogs with him,then one day we were sat in my garden and i had divided up my big aviary into smaller flights with pairs and trio's in.It was summer and i had just about every stage of breeding going on in them,courting and treading in one,nest building in another right up to chicks being fed and fledglings being fed.He turned to me after watching what was going on and said " That's smart that is and i f*cking get it now",he sat for a few more hours and never once moaned to me about my bird time again..:thumbs:

I was like that.....well.....all apart from the courting and treading,nest building,chicks being fed and fledglings being fed part that is......i loved watching the birds but never quite cracked the whole breeding side of it ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gnasher16 said:

I was like that.....well.....all apart from the courting and treading,nest building,chicks being fed and fledglings being fed part that is......i loved watching the birds but never quite cracked the whole breeding side of it ?

I was just lucky in that i had the time to sit and watch at that time in my life,these last few years i just would have missed it all myself due to work,But i just gave them the space and the things i thought they might need to breed and they did the rest ,some times it was wonderful,other times bloody heart breaking mate...

When my dad died i took on all his Norwich canaries. I painted our out house white inside, put strip lights in, painted the cages and used to spend hours in there watching them. Then one day i came home from work and the lad next door had sprayed his car in his garage that was built onto our out house and the fumes had come through and killed all but two of them. Broke my heart.

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, talt said:

When my dad died i took on all his Norwich canaries. I painted our out house white inside, put strip lights in, painted the cages and used to spend hours in there watching them. Then one day i came home from work and the lad next door had sprayed his car in his garage that was built onto our out house and the fumes had come through and killed all but two of them. Broke my heart.

Bloody hell that's shit mate.

That was 18 years ago and it still pulls a bit when i think of it. The lad was not at fault, he can do what he wants in his own shed but i never expected it to happen. I think because they were my dads birds made the experience more painful. I sometimes think about having an aviary but i am always put off by that memory.

1 hour ago, Bangersanmash said:

And specially now in these hard times mate with this covid 19 malarki going on. 

I'm glad I've got a garden full of birds to watch because the house full of women drives me mad.