The Great BASC Insurance Excess

I'm going to withdraw my recent recommendation to other forum members that you consider joining the BASC when needing shooting insurance and suggest you look at alternatives where insurance cover is needed for Legal Representation. 

I received a renewal letter today, not that I was going to renew, as I'm not actively shooting atm. The horrifying issue with the letter is apart from the £80 membership fee, up from around £30ish only a couple of years ago (it actually rose a couple of years ago in fairness, not that I believe it's justifiable), is that the new BASC Insurance Policy has an Excess of £500 on ANY claim for legal expense protection (actually £1K for Criminal Defence if you choose your own Solicitor).

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Legal-expenses-policy-.pdf

When you join a membership body offering insurance as a perk, you expect no excess. That's the perk of a group policy. You certainly don't expect to have to pay £500 towards any claim. Totally unacceptable to me and combined with their stance on lead without an alternative, now means I'll neither be joining nor recommending BASC from now on. Just thought others should be aware of the excess in case they have missed it.

• Like 6

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to withdraw my recent recommendation to other forum members that you consider joining the BASC when needing shooting insurance and suggest you look at alternatives where insurance cover is n

Fixed that for you mate ?

Fart at a wrong angle on pigeon watch to get banned!

I am a member of BASC but in all honesty, I am staying a member for two reasons, firstly the opportunity to use their doctors for renewal of my shotgun / fac tickets should an issue with my own doctors come up next time round. Secondly, a combined thing really, free entry into the Game Fair and a reduced membership fee as I am an old tart.

I am not convinced that BASC is as good as they make out but apart from the CPSA, I don't know who will stand in our corner when needed although I am not so sure BASC do a good job on that count either. I will stay a member for the time being despite the points you make Alsone which are very valid  although I remain open to other ideas.

Phil

1 hour ago, philpot said:

I am a member of BASC but in all honesty, I am staying a member for two reasons, firstly the opportunity to use their doctors for renewal of my shotgun / fac tickets should an issue with my own doctors come up next time round. Secondly, a combined thing really, free entry into the Game Fair and a reduced membership fee as I am an old fart.

I am not convinced that BASC is as good as they make out but apart from the CPSA, I don't know who will stand in our corner when needed although I am not so sure BASC do a good job on that count either. I will stay a member for the time being despite the points you make Alsone which are very valid  although I remain open to other ideas.

Phil

Fixed that for you mate ?

• Haha 4

Went SGA ,last year ,BASC MM ,Ten year certificate sorry we lied but now you pay more for less and have to pay whatever magic number your doctors demand as well.

So sorry ,oh Packham comes up with more shiet to roll shooting over no we wont legally challenge him and his cronies ,our fighting fund is not for fighting to protect shooting you know .But we are the voice of shooting NOT ,i know we,l not bothering asking the members about a lead ban we,l just get a few other orgs to agree to a volentary ban and sod what the members want .

Talk about selling your membership down the river and Phil when Clis prikhams finished there wont be a game fair to get into im afraid 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, Gav said:

I've been with SACS for years, depending on your needs these seem to be quite competative, but there are plenty of others out there!

Only issue is there doesn't appear to be licensing cover. However, I agree, without reading the terms and conditions (ie beware the small print), looks on the face of it like a good policy for general liability, personal injury, criminal defence and dog insurance.

Edited by Alsone

HOLY DOG,BOLTER.  HALLELUJAH.

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality 

Well come on down. The price isn't right and neither is basic.  It's been crap for years.  Basic blatant tripe.  It just shows what a load of sheep the shooting comunty are. This is why kiwis rolls the org over every time.  It is just a load of Tim, Tim nice but dim types. Off the mark, off the pace and in it for themselves.  If I'm wrong a basic rep will be right along to inform the flock that they wish to apologise for their ripping off the shooting members and the piss poor performance of the org and alowing kwis to make a pack of charlies out of them. Now we all now what happens to naughty charlie!   A tip. ( not charlies lad in the 4.30 at Kempton park) (racing is orf) ..... No,;;  go look up CCC3. Insurance.   Better insurace cover.  miIllions, dogs, guns everything.  about £33.  No I have no affinity with the company.  AND the guy that runs /owns it is a shooter AND he got banned from pigeon watch for advising people about their insurance cover. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Meece said:

HOLY DOG,BOLTER.  HALLELUJAH.

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality 

Well come on down. The price isn't right and neither is basic.  It's been crap for years.  Basic blatant tripe.  It just shows what a load of sheep the shooting comunty are. This is why kiwis rolls the org over every time.  It is just a load of Tim, Tim nice but dim types. Off the mark, off the pace and in it for themselves.  If I'm wrong a basic rep will be right along to inform the flock that they wish to apologise for their ripping off the shooting members and the piss poor performance of the org and alowing kwis to make a pack of charlies out of them. Now we all now what happens to naughty charlie!   A tip. ( not charlies lad in the 4.30 at Kempton park) (racing is orf) ..... No,;;  go look up CCC3. Insurance.   Better insurace cover.  miIllions, dogs, guns everything.  about £33.  No I have no affinity with the company.  AND the guy that runs /owns it is a shooter AND he got banned from pigeon watch for advising people about their insurance cover. 

Fart at a wrong angle on pigeon watch to get banned!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yes we did but mine was smellier than yours :tongue2:.Fare more civilised on here ,you can discuss without rancour and speak your mind <as small as mine is > and people interact not interfer .The moderators seem to leave us to self police which works imho 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Yes we did but mine was smellier than yours :tongue2:.Fare more civilised on here ,you can discuss without rancour and speak your mind <as small as mine is > and people interact not interfer .The moderators seem to leave us to self police which works imho 

Yes.  ..Free speech forever.   I suppose though that driven cat shooting might be beyond the pale though. ????  self control, yes.

Edit ? vive la differance ???

Edited by Meece
  • Haha 2
On 16/03/2020 at 08:59, philpot said:

I am a member of BASC but in all honesty, I am staying a member for two reasons, firstly the opportunity to use their doctors for renewal of my shotgun / fac tickets should an issue with my own doctors come up next time round. Secondly, a combined thing really, free entry into the Game Fair and a reduced membership fee as I am an old tart.

Phil

Do they ever stand in our corner,as for saccs they won’t do anything for you unless you have been charged

2 minutes ago, wilbur foxhound said:

Do they ever stand in our corner,as for saccs they won’t do anything for you unless you have been charged

Whatever next. ! The blighters are charging you to stand in the corner.?  What's the going rate nowadays.? ???

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, wilbur foxhound said:

I take your point, it is a GREAT pity that WAGBI became basc or joined them or whatever they did............................bring back WAGBI.  I used to think the CPSA did little for it's members apart from produce a ranking for when we shot clay competitions but compared to basc,  hmmmm.

Phil

I've tried to train a bag of  cats to March in my army days and that was effective as basc in fighting our corner. 

I believe the going rate for that corner is 3 toilet rolls and a carton of long life milk ??

• Haha 3

Hey, toilet rolls are worth a lot these days. Apparently some are selling for £80 on ebay. I have 96 (4 packs) because I keep an emergency winter supply along with some food (bought well before the virus). I keep thinking I should sell some. But then, if I couldn't replace them it could be a bit sh*t in the current situation. Even more so if I had to buy the same ones back for more money!