Spring beaver hunting

In april-may do we go out to hunt beaver in the evenings at the feeding place and in the morning to the hud. It can be done by sitting and waiting by the water with a beautiful nature, scene, often nice weather, many birds and other animals can be seen, the beavers are often swimming around in the stream before they go up on land to feed. It also possible to try to stalk them then they are cutting some wood the beavers main organ is their nose if they smell you they are gone often with a bang by their tail. To use a canoe are also a very nice way to hunt them. The skin are the main product from beaver its very warm and can be used for clothes, teath and skull can be the trophys, nice meat and a oil who can be solved in vodka. 

P5011135.JPG

P5021168.JPG

P5031185.JPG

• Like 10

It was shot with my .308w with a sierra varmint bullet. They have very tender meat similar to rabbit but i have felt a slightly smell of aspen.

Stavross its possible to come and try it. I already have a beaver hat, its fun to help someone else to  discover a new hunting style.

P5011147.JPG

P5021168.JPG

P5031180.JPG

• Like 9

In my younger days I used to greatly enjoy hunting beaver on a warm summers evening.  I too also found that vodka played a key role in whether I was successful or not.  That's a lovely one you have bagged there Kim, I don't think I ever had one that size...…...keep up the good work :victory:

• Haha 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Beavers are about to be re introduced very close to me. It will be interesting to see a new species. I don't think anyone will be hunting them officially here for a long time though

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tyla said:

Beavers are about to be re introduced very close to me. It will be interesting to see a new species. I don't think anyone will be hunting them officially here for a long time though

I think it's a good thing. They will make good habits for all sorts of birds and fish.

Some lynx and wolf would be good too.

Maybe the mamby pamby mard anti gun and anti hunting types will shut up after a couple of vegans have been chewed some.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I think it's a good thing. They will make good habits for all sorts of birds and fish.

Some lynx and wolf would be good too.

Maybe the mamby pamby mard anti gun and anti hunting types will shut up after a couple of vegans have been chewed some.

Not so sure about the lynx and wolves, especially in the south, but i think the beavers might be good. It'll certainly be interesting to watch what they do to their environment. I suspect they won't survive long if they spread from their release site though. I can't imagine they are particularly good for arable agriculture!

• Like 2

"Beavers are about to be re introduced very close to me. It will be interesting to see a new species. I don't think anyone will be hunting them officially here for a long time though"

We had beaver reintroduced in a stream in my home village about 1988-1990 about year 2000 we started to hunt them. In the early 2000-2003 I had found about 8 huds in this stream alone with many more in the nearby river.

"I suspect they won't survive long if they spread from their release site though. I can't imagine they are particularly good for arable agriculture!"

They will spread into agricultural areas and villages to its no "if".

•  
  • Like 1