Turf. Some might find this interesting, especially the irish lads

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny you should say that, mate. I was talking to a couple of lads in Las Vegas and they thought I was talking about gang territory! The evolution of language!

Have to say,  I love working on the bog. Atb j 

Called peat in Scotland.., turf is something else (turf) ? In more recent years I’d guess it was only cut on the islands, where it was more difficult/expensive to buy coal. Not sure of the legality of

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, jetro said:

Have to say,  I love working on the bog.

Atb j 

You sir, are mentally ill !! Lol ? 

I rope the kids in every year to turn, stack and get it home......and everyone bar none fecking hates it ! Lol ? 

I can’t  face stacking it at home too, I just get it tipped in the shed off the trailer......but by f**k, I’m glad of it this time of year.

Edited by WILF
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, WILF said:

You sir, are mentally ill !! Lol ? 

I rope the kids in every year to turn, stack and get it home......and everyone bar none fecking hates it ! Lol ? 

I can’t  face stacking it at home too, I just get it tipped in the shed off the trailer......but by f**k, I’m glad of it this time of year.

I love it, out on the bog, first light. Slan sharpened, and sods up on the bank. 

Can't beat it. 

When I was taught to cut turf by hand it was  learning experience that has stayed with me. Bog had to scrawed straight as a die, and cut clean and level. If you didn't do it right the first time, you certainly did the second time.

It's mostly machines now that cut the turf. Not for much longer, going to be banned in two years.

It's alright if it's in a shed, id still make a reek out of it though if it was me.

Would work seven day a week on the bog, than one day with hay.  Hated the bloody thing lol.

Atb j 

11 minutes ago, jetro said:

I love it, out on the bog, first light. Slan sharpened, and sods up on the bank. 

Can't beat it. 

When I was taught to cut turf by hand it was  learning experience that has stayed with me. Bog had to scrawed straight as a die, and cut clean and level. If you didn't do it right the first time, you certainly did the second time.

It's mostly machines now that cut the turf. Not for much longer, going to be banned in two years.

It's alright if it's in a shed, id still make a reek out of it though if it was me.

Would work seven day a week on the bog, than one day with hay.  Hated the bloody thing lol.

Atb j 

I have mine done by machine mate, lad up the road does mine.

I think the ban is for the big users, power stations and commercial enterprises......I think the private user is still ok 

Be a pain in the arse if not because I had my oil stripped out when I moved here, I only use turf

11 minutes ago, jetro said:

Probably a silly question, but do the cut turf in the UK.

Atb j 

Not that I know of, you say turf to someone round my old area and think you mean the lawn !

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WILF said:

I have mine done by machine mate, lad up the road does mine.

I think the ban is for the big users, power stations and commercial enterprises......I think the private user is still ok 

Be a pain in the arse if not because I had my oil stripped out when I moved here, I only use turf

I don't know whats happening. A lot of talk saying it's going to be an out right ban. A lot of people will be hit hard if it is. It all this bloody climate change nonsense. Turf burning has been there for God knows how long. 

My niece bulit a house last year, and she wasn't even about a chimney on it. No even a fake one. 

Atb j 

4 minutes ago, WILF said:

Not that I know of, you say turf to someone round my old area and think you mean the lawn !

Strange that, considering all the moor land over there. Isn't funny how close the two countries are, yet so differant in a lot of ways.

Atb j 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jetro said:

I don't know whats happening. A lot of talk saying it's going to be an out right ban. A lot of people will be hit hard if it is. It all this bloody climate change nonsense. Turf burning has been there for God knows how long. 

My niece bulit a house last year, and she wasn't even about a chimney on it. No even a fake one. 

Atb j 

I own two bits of bog, the one I cut is two mile up the road.

So my heating for the whole year is about 6 buckets of a digger and it gets moved 2 miles......and, all be it in a very long time, it will grow back !

To my mind that as environmentally friendly as it gets......nice drink for the politicians from some oil company there I bet ! 

I can’t see they will swallow a turf ban in the west of Ireland mate, everyone uses it.......that will go the same way as the water charges ! 

They can buy me a new heating system if they want me to stop, f**k em !

5 minutes ago, jetro said:

Strange that, considering all the moor land over there. Isn't funny how close the two countries are, yet so differant in a lot of ways.

Atb j 

Mate, in many ways we may as well be living in different centuries a million miles away.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WILF said:

I own two bits of bog, the one I cut is two mile up the road.

So my heating for the whole year is about 6 buckets of a digger and it gets moved 2 miles......and, all be it in a very long time, it will grow back !

To my mind that as environmentally friendly as it gets......nice drink for the politicians from some oil company there I bet ! 

I can’t see they will swallow a turf ban in the west of Ireland mate, everyone uses it.......that will go the same way as the water charges ! 

They can buy me a new heating system if they want me to stop, f**k em !

We have the biggest blank bog in Europe right here in the west. Turf cutting never had an impact on it. As you said  it grows back. 

Yes it's all down to what money the government can make on you

If you have to buy oil  or coal, their happy. Their loosening a small fortune on the turf, and they know it.

Atb j 

5 hours ago, WILF said:

Funny you should say that, mate. I was talking to a couple of lads in Las Vegas and they thought I was talking about gang territory! The evolution of language! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, jetro said:

Probably a silly question, but do the cut turf in the UK.

Atb j 

Called peat in Scotland.., turf is something else (turf) ? In more recent years I’d guess it was only cut on the islands, where it was more difficult/expensive to buy coal. Not sure of the legality of cutting it now but I know it’s frowned upon now as it’s a niche ecosystem and captures carbon etc. etc. Just as well our ancestors didn’t know that years ago or they’d have froze to death.

https://youtu.be/sfzH_WTLulM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1