22/250 v 223 for fox which one

hi guys im going for a centrefire rifle soon and im stuck on which rifle to go for. a 22/250 or 223 :wallbash:

i no the 223 are good as my friend has one and as took some cracking shoots with it. the ammo is easy to get hold of and

his shoots well with most ammo. i no the 22/250 as more range then a 223 but are they as good out the box ? as a 223 with factory ammo. im asking this as i wont be reloading my ammo as i wont be using one of these rifles as much as my rimfires. so what do you guys thing i should go for and what make rifles you think are the best ?

atb jamie :thumbs:

hello

this could stir up a hornets nest BEWARE!!!!!

go 22.250 you wont look back , and dont listen to this barrel burning nonsense . if you go sako tikka you will not go wrong out of the box

22.250 is the one . they will all do the job .but why cut yourself short

good luck with your choice. :big_boss:

t3

any center fire will do, hit it right and the caliber size will be the last thing on the foxs mind..its not the tool that counts its what you do with it that will make the difference..

just for the record iv a 22.250

i'm 222 for foxes and 243 for both

the 222 is an estate rifle so i bought myself a 243 to do everything with.

2 things to consider are 22-250 are very loud, my permission won't allow that at night, and 223 bullets are in serious demand, could be a big shortage coming up as it is a military round and the us army are 1.5billion short at the moment

.222 is great seriously under rated kills at 300 yards with enough practice, but comfortable to 200 and much more than that a fox is bloody small at night. it is also the quietest out of those 3 calibres with no competition for bullets

just foxes then 222 all the way, 1 rifle then 243

JAMIEG.

IV OWNED 2-22/250 3 -223 1-243AI THEY ALL HAVE A JOB AND ARE WITHOUT DOUBT VERY FINE CALIBRES.

IF YOUR JUST GETTING A . 22 C/F FOR ALL ROUND USE [NOT DEER] THEN ID GO .222 OR 223 WITH FACTORY AMMO YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED.AS FOR FACTORY RIFLES NOBODY MAKES A REALLY BAD RIFLE THESE DAYS BUT CZ,SAVAGE,REMINGTON;WILL DO THE JOB.YOUR MAIN PURCHASE FOR THIS RIFLE MUST BE A GOOD SCOPE BUY THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD DONT BUY CHEAP! A GOOD SCOPE MAKES A HALF DECENT RIFLE SHOOT GREAT.A CHEAP SCOPE ON A GOOD RIFLE AINT WORTH SHIT.

A LOT OF FOLKS ARE NOW REALISING WHAT .20 CAL RIFLES WILL DO WITH LIGHT BULLETS AND LITTLE POWDER THEY OUT PERFORM A LOT IF NOT ALL .22 RIFLES.LOOK AT THE 204 RUGER YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED.ME IM INTO 17 AND 20 CALIBRES I LOAD MY OWN AMMO AND AINT DISSAPOINTED.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CHOICE.

GARYW :D

cheers for the replys lads. i think a 243 would be good to have. but as ive only had my ticket 7 months i cant see them granting me one just yet. if i want to shoot deer then i would have to pass a course 1st as in west mercia where i come under they are abit funny about these sort of things. and if i said i would add deer to the ticket later the feo would just say well get 243 late and have ie'' 222 223 or 22/250 for now :wallbash:

the 222 is a great foxing gun but ive heard ammo can be hard to get at times round here for it. and there isnt as many brands to buy for the 222 as there is for the 223. my shooting friend has a tikka t3 tactial and he shoots federal 55 grain soft points out of it. and has great grouping with this combo. ive seen him take foxes to 300 yards at night to ! which takes some doing. i no he has a top of the range swarovski 6x24x50 scope on it. and i no he sets targets up from 100 yards to 350 yards some days so he no's the rifle very well and the drop of the bullet at different ranges.

but as i im new to this i thing maybe the 22/250 would be better for me as it shoots flatter then 223 so i would find it easyer at different ranges. but im not saying i would go out and shoot foxes at 300 yards right away with it !

i wouldnt do that as i wouldnt be sure i could kill one at that range. so i wouldnt take the risk of injuring the fox.

but im sure with putting the time in out in the field i could go out to those ranges. ive had rabbits out to 140 yards with head shots with the hmr. but saying that a fox at double that distance is a very small target i bet even if you do have a top of the range high mag scope. i guess i will have a word with my feo this morning and see what he will let me have ! he mite no even want me to have 22/250 he mite say 223 is what he would like me to go up to. and if thats the case then thats fine by me :thumbs: cheers lads for the help ;)8)

"and 223 bullets are in serious demand, could be a big shortage coming up as it is a military round and the us army are 1.5billion short at the moment"

I can assure anyone concerned with this, not to be as a military bullet is nothing like a sporting one as I am sure most are aware.

The military projectile is known as an SS109 and all sporting projectiles are prohibited by the Geneva Convention, so they are hardly going to raid Remington for a heap of Soft pointed .223 rounds :thumbs:

Edited by FJager