22/250 v 223 for fox which one

This has been around before.

My mate (a gunsmith) shoots his own design hand built 22-250 with great effect, hand loads varmint rounds himself to suit.

It does burn barrels but its not a problem for him!

Have spoken to him about 'factory' rifles his advice is .223 remmington 700 series.

Edited by masmiffy

If you fancy the 22-250 or the 223 its up to you and no one else but iwould say see if you canget a shot withboth cals, then see which you prefer to shoot,

The 22-250 is a known barrel burner but this is due to the fact that many on range shooters, fire till the barrel is red hot, reload loads that are far to hot, if your going to shoot the odd fox 22-250 is up there with the best of them. As is the 223 but then again think of what you want toachieve fromyour shooting, are you happy to take foxes at the shorter ranges or fancy uping your shooting skills to be effective at greater distances? the choice is yours.

try shooting both cals would be my first recommendation..... :thumbs:

If you fancy the 22-250 or the 223 its up to you and no one else but iwould say see if you canget a shot withboth cals, then see which you prefer to shoot,

The 22-250 is a known barrel burner but this is due to the fact that many on range shooters, fire till the barrel is red hot, reload loads that are far to hot, if your going to shoot the odd fox 22-250 is up there with the best of them. As is the 223 but then again think of what you want toachieve fromyour shooting, are you happy to take foxes at the shorter ranges or fancy uping your shooting skills to be effective at greater distances? the choice is yours.

try shooting both cals would be my first recommendation..... :thumbs:

cheers snap shot. i think what you have said is good advise mate cheers. i have done abit of shooting with 223 and liked it my friend placed some small targets up for me at different ranges up to 285 yards which i hit even at 285. but that was with him telling me where to aim on the crosshairs of the scope at that range. i hit 3 out of 5 so it wasnt luck 8)

i havent had the chance to shoot a 22/250 yet. but a friend of my mates has a steyr ssg 22/250 and he said i could go and have a shoot with it. but as he lives up in nottingham i havent the time at the moment to go there. but im looking forward to see what they are like he has both 223 and 22/250 and has he hasnt got the steyr screwcut at the minute for a mod he said the woman that owns one of his shoots isnt keen on him using it close to the house :D so he said the 223 is his main rifle at the moment in till he can get the 22/250 done.

he said the 22/250 steyr has a nice trigger out the box the bolt is nice on it and it is a tack driver. its only down fall is its a little heavy to carry around. he told me its very flat shooting compared to the 223 and very fast fireing and hits very hard.

he said if he was going for one again now after having both he would have gone for the 22/250 from the start.

it just depends if my feo lets me have one. im sure he will. i cant see there being that much difference to me having a 223 to a 22/250 in his eyes ?? well i hope and as for the 22/250 being a barrel burner this rifle will only be used for fox control and not range use so i shouldnt have that problem with burning out the barrel. and i will only be using factory loads and not hot home made loads to. :)

Edited by jamie g

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ON YOUR WAY MATE, sorry about the typing on the last post but i'm flu ridden at the moment............. :cry: it's taking ages to clear,

the .243 is meant to be sore on barrels to but mine has about 3000 rounds through it and is still shooting 1/2 with the right loads.

So take things into perspective when buying............ :thumbs:

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ON YOUR WAY MATE, sorry about the typing on the last post but i'm flu ridden at the moment............. :cry: it's taking ages to clear,

the .243 is meant to be sore on barrels to but mine has about 3000 rounds through it and is still shooting 1/2 with the right loads.

So take things into perspective when buying............ :thumbs:

will do cheers snap shot :)

take care. atb jamie

Hi

I watched a program last night on C 4 "The Lie of The Land". The farmer went shooting at night with a 243. When he came back he showed the foxes he had shot. One fox had its entire chest blown out which would suggest, is that sort of power required to dispatch a fox.

He also went on to say that a 243 was a preferred rifle to shoot foxes. Serious firearm.

I don't shoot with a rifle as it is difficult to license a firearm in N. Ireland higher than a .22

Knifebar

Sure Shot that was a very good post, great advice.

Knifebar any of the fast stepping .22's will do this to a fox, it is all to do with the projectile type, a soft point or hollow point 'explodes' on impact and becomes much larger in diameter, thus causing the lage exit hole., that is why a lot of proffesional fox shooters (when skins were worth money) used to use the little .17 centrefire.

The only 'disadvantage' with the .250 is the noise.

Edited by FJager

All this hype about noise, if the weapon is to be dischaged near homes on a frequent basis then iwould sugges one of two things.

1) firstly don't discharge the weapon near the house say 500 yards.

2) If you find you have no option, stick a mod on on the rifle......simple as.

:thumbs:

"
"

"and 223 bullets are in serious demand, could be a big shortage coming up as it is a military round and the us army are 1.5billion short at the moment

I can assure anyone concerned with this, not to be as a military bullet is nothing like a sporting one as I am sure most are aware.

The military projectile is known as an SS109 and all sporting projectiles are prohibited by the Geneva Convention, so they are hardly going to raid Remington for a heap of Soft pointed .223 rounds :thumbs:

Just to help clarify this one a bit (I HOPE)

We know the "civil"round as a .223REM and the "military" as 5.56 Military. (check what is marked on your brass) They are NOT the same and the military do not use the civil round, however the military manufacturers also make civil ammo, so if they have to put all their production into military then we may simply get a shortage of .223 (doesn't mean the military are using the .223) but any word of a shotage is news to me at the moment, hope it stays that way!

Cheers

Deker

All this hype about noise, if the weapon is to be dischaged near homes on a frequent basis then iwould sugges one of two things.

1) firstly don't discharge the weapon near the house say 500 yards.

2) If you find you have no option, stick a mod on on the rifle......simple as.

:thumbs:

the farmers where i shoot dont mind the noise. but im going to get a ase cqb for it anyway :D so it should do a good job on 223 or 22/250 :D