Well or mineshaft?

15 hours ago, Qbgrey said:

If its brick lined surely its a well.did they line mine shafts like that,i have no idea.??

yes they do greyman ,we have a piece of land with two brick lined shafts that were ventilation shafts for the lead mines that run underneath they have been filled in but every now and then they drop sometimes 20 feet or more and they are the same diameter as that shaft

Edited by greg64
12 hours ago, Rat ha tat tat said:

Blinking hell that looks so dangerous looks like it was a cover of some sort on it by the bars across it that's an accident waiting to happen for sure 

This ^ exactly , what ever it is , anybody falling in there is not getting out. It needs reporting to local authority.

Edited by MickC

it wasn't a bell pit. I ended ringing coal authority as no one seemed bothered about it. chap came out and confirmed its a deep coal shaft.they fenced it off and are now deciding whether to fill the shaft or dig the mound out and cap it. 

a few weeks ago a lad was out walking the dogs on an old open cast that been restored to grazing land and some rough pasture when two terriers went in a hole that he didnt know was there, he could see the dogs in a kind of cavern with a tube leading away from him, he called them but there was no response so he pulled away at the earth till he could get his head and one shoulder and arm in to reach the first dog which he pulled out dead and the second was also dead he started to head home when he felt really unwell, he called me to say where he was and if he didnt call me back in ten min would i come to get him, thankfully he called but was feeling very rough that night he felt really bad and went to hospital and while standing at the check in desk he suffered a heart attack , he sent the first dog to a lab at glasgow and the pm says the dog has suffered from a heart problem he is waiting for a more indepth report, the coal board have been at the site and say no gas found but they have fenced off that and another four areas.