Hard water...

2 hours ago, Greyman said:

Chew valley around here mate which comes from the mendip hills and is filtered through limestone as it comes down  which causes limescale in our water, regarding this salt filtration I,m really struggling to get my head round it, my neighbour is a 65 yr old retired plumber has the electrical gadget and swears by it, I,ve worked with him over a 30 year period off and on and have never seen anyone ask for a saltwater filter, but loads with the little electric thing and I have worked in an average of three different houses a week all around the southwest of England and have never once encountered saltwater coming through taps, the only places I have ever seen it is in commercial premises like hospitals etc were they have separate systems for drinking water, I could go down most streets near me and find one or two of those devices in houses but not a saltwater system, seems absolutely ridiculous to fit a water softener that then makes your water undrinkable wtf, sorry bob need more info to swallow that one ??

I find it a bit strange aswell GM.

The while point of wanting soft water for us is the fact that we will be able to drink it.

I read a few reviews they were talking about 25kg sacks of salt every few months.

I don't know what to make of it.

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s because of the massive surface area not the soft water ? ...... 

Easier to stick a pick up, just a community tank these days mate, have had Malawi cichlids and a big pair of oscars in the past 

The waters that hard round here that it threatens to kick my head in when I turn the tap on....

Posted Images

As I said mate big buildings like hospitals tend to have a large water tank on the roof in a separate building and a pallet of salt ready to throw in but after a lifetime of working in people’s houses I have never seen it in a domestic home suspecting bob the ferret may have done a 6month plumbing course  and bought a book ???

2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Think youve got that wrong mate in London and the south east only around 30% is underground water....theres actually a website you can put your postcode in and find the exact breakdown of water parameters for your area ph/gh etc..... anyone who keeps certain types of fish have to know the water in their area.

What you into mate, discus or some form of chiclid?? Have had fish most of my life but tend to go for the easy to keep types, did toy with a marine set up many moons ago but more work than pleasure 

3 hours ago, Greyman said:

What you into mate, discus or some form of chiclid?? Have had fish most of my life but tend to go for the easy to keep types, did toy with a marine set up many moons ago but more work than pleasure 

Yes ive kept Discus a long time now mate.....you probably know the saying with them... " you dont keep Discus you keep water " ?

Marines never really interested me,what do you keep these days mate anything ?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Yes ive kept Discus a long time now mate.....you probably know the saying with them... " you dont keep Discus you keep water " ?

Marines never really interested me,what do you keep these days mate anything ?

Easier to stick a pick up, just a community tank these days mate, have had Malawi cichlids and a big pair of oscars in the past 

3535E588-AF18-48A8-AE59-900D8CA7C624.jpeg

FACAF600-5676-4DC6-B60E-011CDD87AC94.jpeg

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

You still got same tank you put up on here few years back gnash?  That was smart set up. When I looked into it, I’ll be honest the time an expense put me off, so I just go look at in-laws when i feel like ?

Im constantly chopping and changing mate i cant remember the one i put on here now i had one at the gym it might of been that one and i sold the gym so that went but yes still the same one at home i went a bit overly futuristic with it though its all singing all dancing so dont have to do much everythings on timers it even changes 75% of its own water every 48 hours so very little upkeep for what it is....same as you i dont think i could put the time into a " normal " tank set up these days.

11 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Think youve got that wrong mate in London and the south east only around 30% is underground water....theres actually a website you can put your postcode in and find the exact breakdown of water parameters for your area ph/gh etc..... anyone who keeps certain types of fish have to know the water in their area.

Not according to southeast waters website....Brighton for example uses 100% groundwater (water from under the ground) varies from area to area obviously but most places in the south east as you can see from that attached picture use mainly groundwater. 

065F2B24-735D-47D5-BB70-E264BB89F341.png

16 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

Not according to southeast waters website....Brighton for example uses 100% groundwater (water from under the ground) varies from area to area obviously but most places in the south east as you can see from that attached picture use mainly groundwater. 

065F2B24-735D-47D5-BB70-E264BB89F341.png

Obviously some places are higher than others....Thames Water which is obviously London and surrounding counties is typical of the average 30 % yet areas in the South West such as Devon/Cornwall is 90% surface water to 10% underground.....in some rivers the majority of water is supplied by underground aquifers but its still classed as surface water....but the Uk average is 70% above and 30% below.....

Edited to add....Isle of Wight/Southampton etc are not south east....thats Southern Waters website you are looking at ?

Edited by gnasher16
On 07/11/2019 at 18:07, gnasher16 said:

Cant quite see from the picture is that one of those Trigon tanks the corner ones or is it a bow front ?.....do you keep a count of your Guppies with them Kissing Gouramis on the prowl ?.....nice natural looking tank.

Sorry mate lost focus, yes it’s a 4ft bow front and the guppy,s are a deliberate live food source actually need a few more fish that eat them as they are getting a bit crowded ?