Hard water...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That’s because of the massive surface area not the soft water ? ...... 

Easier to stick a pick up, just a community tank these days mate, have had Malawi cichlids and a big pair of oscars in the past 

The waters that hard round here that it threatens to kick my head in when I turn the tap on....

Posted Images

King you can buy a cheap reverse osmosis filter, collins ro in England sell them, it won't connect threw your tap, but you run a garden hose to it, depending how hard your water is it should bring it down to under 10 ppm. 

They take everything out of the water, including fluoride, limescale etc

Or you can buy a Di vessel which is filled with salts that will polish off the water to 0, but if your tds is hight youl use lots of salts. 

If ye need any help pm me lad

• Like 1

http://www.collinswaterproductsltd.co.uk/ourshop/prod_5999114-300gpd-5-stage-reverse-osmosis-system.html

There you go King, they reckon drinking 0ppm water will draw out minerals out of your body but drinking 8 9 10 ppm is fine cause there's still some minerals in it. 

My tap water is 160 ppm, it was 80ppm last year went up an I don't know why. 

over the years, the water where I live has changed. At one time if I filled a glass with water and held it up to the sunlight i could see bits of chalk that made it cloudy.  We had a nail brush that was used weekly to scrub out the inside of the kettle. The inside of the kettle was like it had been plastered.  We used to fill a jug filter but the filters got clogged really quickly.  Then they put in a new large water main and the water changed overnight. Whether the chalk in the water clogģed up the water companies pipework, valves and other stuff I don't know but there must have been a big hole in the ground where all of the chalk came from there was that much in the water

I am a plumber mate and have fitted various things over the years but the only thing that will actually work is a genuine water softener that you have to add salt to remove the hardness from the water. They cost approx £500 for a half decent one plus fitting and you will then have to buy salt tablets to put in it. The softener needs to be placed on the incoming main before you draw any water off, however it is recommended that you don’t drink the water from the softener due to the high salt levels so wouldn’t help with the kettle but would stop all your other hard water related problems! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Francie said:

http://www.collinswaterproductsltd.co.uk/ourshop/prod_5999114-300gpd-5-stage-reverse-osmosis-system.html

There you go King, they reckon drinking 0ppm water will draw out minerals out of your body but drinking 8 9 10 ppm is fine cause there's still some minerals in it. 

My tap water is 160 ppm, it was 80ppm last year went up an I don't know why. 

There's a lot to softer water than I thought francie.

It's a shame that couldn't be plumped under the sink..

It sounds a good bit of kit.

49 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

I am a plumber mate and have fitted various things over the years but the only thing that will actually work is a genuine water softener that you have to add salt to remove the hardness from the water. They cost approx £500 for a half decent one plus fitting and you will then have to buy salt tablets to put in it. The softener needs to be placed on the incoming main before you draw any water off, however it is recommended that you don’t drink the water from the softener due to the high salt levels so wouldn’t help with the kettle but would stop all your other hard water related problems! 

That's a shame bob if the water can't be used for drinking.

That's the main problem here.

The wife puts that calgon stuff in the washing machine so that might be ok

Why is it that the tap water in some places is soft and other parts of the country it's hard bob..

1 hour ago, Bobtheferret said:

Yep, that's the way that I know to sort it.

You can also use inline filters on the tap supplies to reduce the salt.

Apart from that, you'll just have to move.

.......... We noticed the difference moving from Reading to Swindon (only 45 miles).  The water here is shite - you can taste and feel the difference. 

20 minutes ago, dytkos said:

He was quite posh mate, tea pot and leaves lol

Cheers, D.

It's not though - the leaves all come from the same place.

Pour it into a clear glass and have a look at the difference.  I reckon you'll be amazed :thumbs:

1 minute ago, Jonjon79 said:

Yep, that's the way that I know to sort it.

You can also use inline filters on the tap supplies to reduce the salt.

Apart from that, you'll just have to move.

.......... We noticed the difference moving from Reading to Swindon (only 45 miles).  The water here is shite - you can taste and feel the difference. 

When the wife had done the washing up in s.wales the pint glasses and anything else glass.would be shining.sparkly.on the draining rack.

Up here the glass doesent have that shiny sparkle.

So the difference of water can be seen by the eye aswell.

• Like 1
Just now, king said:

When the wife had done the washing up in s.wales the pint glasses and anything else glass.would be shining.sparkly.on the draining rack.

Up here the glass doesent have that shiny sparkle.

So the difference of water can be seen by the eye aswell.

That doesn't surprise me at all mate.

The thing is, were expected to just keep drinking that shite.

2 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

That doesn't surprise me at all mate.

The thing is, were expected to just keep drinking that shite.

Surely the water ain't like that in the reservoir is it..

They must be messing about with it somewhere.