Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
beany01

Fat filled bunnies

Recommended Posts

Well I got a phone call a few days ago about some rabbits being a problem on theor paddocks. Well I went up there first thing, put the Longnets out and the ferrets in. It wasn’t the easiest place to go on your own. The hedges are 10 ft wide and really thick, pushing well over 14ft tall. Only in a few places where it’s thin, you can cut a net or put donk boards through. I only managed 2x 100 yard sections today, each one opposite sides of the paddocks as requested! I’m glad I took 200 yards of longnet. They do tend to like hole hopping here, so I made up 12 x 4ft long donk boards yesterday, to place in the sections where the warrens were to hopefully divert them out the hedge. Well I had 12 rabbits, not huge numbers, but they were all crackers, full of fat, so the ferrets will enjoy eating them. It was hard work keeping an eye on the ferrets and running to the other side of the hedge, as I could barely crawl through where I had cut through, so it was back to the gateway 100 yards away when I heard a rabbit take off. Shame they never seem to keep the hedges trimmed down on paddocks like the farmers do! Still, it was an enjoyable day, but I better have a soak in the bath as my back is aching like hell. That’s after using my carp barrow to move all the crap I take with me around! 

505FCE27-B569-4C2C-A556-939BA8B55134.jpeg

3F7CC7F2-28B1-43AB-B38C-50136D272C8B.jpeg

Edited by beany01
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

33 minutes ago, ferret110 said:

Very good bag of Rabbits I would eat them my self

I’ve tried rabbit cooked many ways, but I don’t like it. I eat every other animal or fish going, but bloody typical I don’t like rabbit! It always seem to have a hint of the guts in the taste.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Furrosious ferreter said:

Nice day out.... you need a youngen to do your running same as me...

Dragging a 17 stone carcass around aint fun.

FF

I’m only 39, but my back is shite. I stuffed it last year and lost the last 4 months of the ferreting season. I will take a mate next time I go up there

Share this post


Link to post
On 31/10/2019 at 21:05, beany01 said:

I’ve tried rabbit cooked many ways, but I don’t like it. I eat every other animal or fish going, but bloody typical I don’t like rabbit! It always seem to have a hint of the guts in the taste.

 After you have dressed them,Try soaking them in salt water over night , then drain off and rinse carcass under tap before cooking

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, countrymon said:

 After you have dressed them,Try soaking them in salt water over night , then drain off and rinse carcass under tap before cooking

That's how my old mum used to do them and then a long stewing, fooking lovely.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Furrosious ferreter said:

Does the salt water pull the blood out the meat?

Thats what my old man does too

FF

and add a good splash of white vinegar in the water with the salt ,then if you might try this,get a few chicken oxo cubes crush them in tinfoil till their like powder(use an empty glass bottle like a rolling pin),then beat up two eggs,cut the rabbits into 2 inch cubes of meat ,dip in the egg whisk,pat the meat then in to the oxo powder and fry in the pan for a few minutes till its done,and if ye dont like the taste of that ,go see a doctor ,lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

and add a good splash of white vinegar in the water with the salt ,then if you might try this,get a few chicken oxo cubes crush them in tinfoil till their like powder(use an empty glass bottle like a rolling pin),then beat up two eggs,cut the rabbits into 2 inch cubes of meat ,dip in the egg whisk,pat the meat then in to the oxo powder and fry in the pan for a few minutes till its done,and if ye dont like the taste of that ,go see a doctor ,lol

Iv never ate a a rabbit since I was old enough to protest against it😂😀 but I’m gonna try that for kids an if it’s shite I’ll blame you😁

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, W. Katchum said:

Iv never ate a a rabbit since I was old enough to protest against it😂😀 but I’m gonna try that for kids an if it’s shite I’ll blame you😁

you will be thanking me for ever ...if you dont ....go see a doctor lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, jigsaw said:

you will be thanking me for ever ...if you dont ....go see a doctor lol

 

Missus an kids always on at me to let em try it but just the thought makes me say a firm no😂 I’ll deffo give it try tho 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Missus an kids always on at me to let em try it but just the thought makes me say a firm no😂 I’ll deffo give it try tho 👍

if you get the ride ovet this i want to see the video,...lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, countrymon said:

 After you have dressed them,Try soaking them in salt water over night , then drain off and rinse carcass under tap before cooking

The one I choose to eat are ferreted, bled and then gutted on straight away put on ice then when home soaked in salt and a bit of viniger. yum

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...