Magpie, Catch & Cook

• 4 weeks later...

On 01/11/2019 at 08:04, Greyman said:

I used to no a farmer back in my youth that would take a catty with a pouch full of bb shot out and when we had starlings in huge flocks he would shoot into a flock bring a couple down pick them up and say that’s tea sorted think deep fried goldfinch,s are still a black market delicacy abroad so yes if it’s made of meat why not ✌️

I once cooked a starling on my dads’ garden fire. I used a garden fork to break it open and it looked and smelled like roast chicken ?. I would’ve had to be a lot hungrier than I was to eat it though?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I made a pie with starling breasts (chicken and mushroom recipe) and a rook (instead of beef) stroganoff, both were good but too much effort breasting them all TBH. ?

Still do the stroganoff but use pigeon.

Edited by hambone
has got time to improve
  • Like 2
On 31/10/2019 at 15:39, Greyman said:

4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie the kids nursery rhyme was originally referring to rooks so it’s not new, an old mate of mine that used to live on a canal boat would always moor up underneath the rookeries in spring and shoot and eat the branchers amongst anything else that flew or swan to close to his boat ??

I used to do a bit of branching and an old farmer who I had permission off asked me to bring him some rook squabs as he remembered as a child having rook pie as a treat on some Saint's Day that was the traditional time when the branchers would start leaving the nest. So I took him four and twenty fresh squabs. He didn't ask for any more. Apparently they weren't as he remembered them ?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, timmytree said:

As a nipper in the mid 60s I ate starlings. 8 years old and given a garden gun and told to shoot starlings in the orchard. Heads had to be pulled off straight away or the meat went bitter. They tasted ok in a pie. Late 60s we lived in Cyprus and shot every small bird going with catapults and dustshot. Everything was either pickled or fried. Sparrows were "beccafico", crunchy and tasty, eaten whole.

My grandad could remember "bird batting" as a kid with nets and lamps, everything they caught was eaten, blackbirds, thrushes, sparrows, tits and wagtails.

I ate moorhens and coots eggs, fried a nest of baby rabbits, cooked pike and loved perch fillets cooked in butter. Everything is edible.

Love pike but it's them razor sharp bones that put me off. The flavour can put some off too but it goes well in a curry ;)

I've eaten some small birds in Cyprus (no idea which). It was some local dish and they were crunchy as you said, with a tomato based sauce, was really nice tbh.

• Like 1