10 hours ago, David.evans said:

Is it just me 

I’ve bought a 17 hmr hoopers and a 243 hoopers bore snakes and not one of them will pull thro the barrel and they have been soaked in oil , WTF 

DAVE 

First few times my bore was so tight i thought it would go through but it did, mine was for a 6.5x55 .........why have ya soaked it in oil? the idea off a rifle barreell soaked in oil don't sound good, could be wrong each to their own 

• Like 1

I’ve always thought that bore snakes were a bad thing ( can damage the crown)until I was chatting to Steve Bowers ( rifle maker) who uses them . He suggests using KG12 on a nylon brush , paying particular attention to the six inches near the end of the barrel ( moderator end) as that is the area with the most deposits , leave the brush soaked in KG12 in there for 10 minutes then clean with patches on a jag and finally a patch soaked in methylated spirit. He then likes to fire one or two shots to have the barrel in a fired condition before using in earnest. He also recommended a bore snake after every use and provided you pull it straight and don’t rub the crown they are excellent. He suggested that a good regime is to give the rifle  a birthday (KG12 clean)as he called it every 20 or so rounds .He also advised that you remove the moderator , never leave it on the rifle as corrosive elements and particles leach into the barrel and damage it over time . ATB

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 2

I have a 17hmr hoppes bore snake.It does go through the barrel but it does take a bit of a tug to get it through the barrel.Especially if I have left it for a while between shooting a few rounds. 

Why use a Bore snake, they are NOT the one time does it all solution, and in rifles can actually cause damage.

Bore snakes were developed as a quick pull through for shotguns on site where you couldn't clean properly, the reason being some years back many propellants were corrosive so it was a good idea to get them out of the barrels asap.  Things have changed and the need for a Bore snake in Shotguns has virtually disappeared.

There never really was a need in rifles, just the marketing people trying to convince the world they were essential.

No Bore Snake will ever clean a bore like decent solvents/brushes/patches/etc.

Chuck it away!

:D:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Just be using bore snakes mate 

what do you expect from a old twat lol?

I don;t clean my guns very often, but when I do I use a proper kit. (Because my mrs bought me one.) :D

If it's been damp and/or raining I run a couple of dry patches through it. Seems to work for me, but a lot of folk like to give them a good clean on a regular basis.