Lenmcharristar

Best value fly line

Alright fellas I’m after a new wf floating fly line to cover both trout n salmon what the best type you are using yourselves, thanks

I’m after one aswell for a small 3 weight for wee wild brownies 😜 so any suggestions welcome😁

5 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m after one aswell for a small 3 weight for wee wild brownies 😜 so any suggestions welcome😁

Have a look at the snowbee thistledown , ive got a couple of them and it’s the only line I use on the river for brownies and grayling . My mate uses a cortland sylk and that’s a good line aswell 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Alright fellas I’m after a new wf floating fly line to cover both trout n salmon what the best type you are using yourselves, thanks

I tend to use different set ups for trout and salmon but if I do need to use a single hander for salmon I just use my guideline pike line but if I needed to cover trout aswell I’d have a look at Guideline’s forecast , I use one for seatrout and also on bigger res’s and it’s pretty good line , casts well and is supple . Have a look on John norris’s website , there’s loads on there and if you don’t want to spend a lot on the guidelines then some of norris’s own lines are not too bad . I bought one of their scandi lines just out of curiosity when I was trying to get a line that worked on a Bruce and Walker rod I bought and I ended up just leaving it on the reel and not bothering to change it for a more expensive brand 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, neil r said:

I tend to use different set ups for trout and salmon but if I do need to use a single hander for salmon I just use my guideline pike line but if I needed to cover trout aswell I’d have a look at Guideline’s forecast , I use one for seatrout and also on bigger res’s and it’s pretty good line , casts well and is supple . Have a look on John norris’s website , there’s loads on there and if you don’t want to spend a lot on the guidelines then some of norris’s own lines are not too bad . I bought one of their scandi lines just out of curiosity when I was trying to get a line that worked on a Bruce and Walker rod I bought and I ended up just leaving it on the reel and not bothering to change it for a more expensive brand 

Thanks mate il have a look

For the money ‘barrio’ lines are top quality and mikes service is top banana 

• Like 1

Got a new line last year Cortland no tbe cheapest but class  effortless casting 

• Like 2

Since the title was “best value “ not the best fly line , I would say the Airflo range takes some beating. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Since the title was “best value “ not the best fly line , I would say the Airflo range takes some beating. 

Been looking at them too, on my big rod I’m using a wf 8 and I stuck it on my we 7ft trout rod and it works fine lol the rod casts it nicely and not over matched, but it’s about 10 yr old line now at least and am due to renew 

Otherwise it’s cortland for me , they seem to cast and sit in the water nicely. But I’ve got a couple of Airflo lines and they are good . 

• Like 1

Airflow forty + is a good line if you are fishing for trout and salmon I’ve got it on a Gordon’s 11ft #7 and have caught a helluva fish on this set up ......very good lines that throw out small hitches to big heavy tubes decent length of head on them and can be fished traditionally over head  or small Scandinavia rolls and Spey style ....look out for them on amazon and eBay you can get them for 20 quid 

BDC243B8-264E-4110-AA2B-DB9011789786.jpeg

4788C171-86C4-4CDB-8144-88F0AF0FAA56.jpeg

60468A5C-796A-4F65-BC97-D3E78CB9E09D.jpeg

F51504F3-1716-46AA-9C05-979A763A89DD.jpeg

222A6E45-F883-4985-8D4C-F3EECE216675.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Have a look at Fishtec. They have everything, at the right money, next day service and brilliant after service. Highly thought of. Jok.

2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

What are their rods like see a fly fishing bundle come up cheap near me.

If you are looking for a line for all occasions the OPST skagit is what me and most of the lads I fish with are using not the cheapest with the MOWs tips but it’s a set up you use for every thing from tiny flies to the biggest tubes and intruder flies 

• Like 1

Looking for a decent set up for sea trout fishing in salt water  dont like useing the set up.i have for the hill lochs for the brownies