Ferreting

Took kids out ferreting today as they both have their own small ferrets. We did two sets and got 41 mainly through purse nets and a bit of long netting missed a few. Was watching my 12 year old daughter running the long net out made me very proud as would rather they be outside in the fresh air, keeping them fit and strong.

We were out for 3 hours and everything going well and we were off after this set as we had got enough then two or three baby rabbits came out and one of the ferrets decided to lay up about 8ft down, I very rarely have to dig for them as they are only small and struggle to hold the bunnies. I wasn't about to start digging down 7ft so had to go and fetch one of my little jills to knock it off after waiting an hour and a half as she never stops down and up it popped following behind . I can't believe there are young uns about already it seems to get earlier each year. 

IMG-20190105-WA0000.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Am very lucky to have access to places that still have plenty on and the kids loved it. Nice to get young uns involved as doesn't seem to be many young people getting into it nowadays.  I can remember when I was younger if you caught just a couple you walked through the streets proud as anything. 

• Like 1

Yes they do, my Mrs normally does all the cooking but most Saturdays I make rabbit kebabs/wraps and fry it with a bit of Cajun seasoning they love them.

Both my kids go to rural schools so most of the kids there know where there meat comes from and that it doesn't come out of tins and packets! They also chat to each other about country pursuits.

• Like 3